The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Baseball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sat Jun 16, 2007, 04:11pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to fonzzy07
two quick questions

We were playing OB (same as majors if my initials are wrong) rules just incase this matters.
The pitcher pitches the ball it hits the dirt and comes up and hits my player. The umpire calls the pitch a ball. I then left the dugout calmy to ask if the player was hit by the ball and the umpire said yes. I then asked why he did not get to take first base. The umpire said because the ball was dead once it hit the ground. This did not make sense. And I admit I do not know the rules of baseball well, and being a basketball official there is nothing I hate more then having a coach pretend to know the rules, so I said if the ball is dead then why can a runner advance on a ball that hits the dirt and rolls to the backstop. Or why if my batter would have swung at that pitch would it have been a strike. He then said "Shut up and go sit down before your night is done"
My first question is was the official right about the call?
My bigger question has nothing to do with the rule, I understand officials in general sometimes get rules wrong. However I felt by his languge he was unprofessional. How or a better question is should I file some kind of report with the league on this umpire for the professionalism. I could really care less about the actual call. I just asked so I would know for next time
Thanks.
P.S. I never once raised my voice at the umpire, never got in his face, and said only what I mentioned above so I do not feel like I was out of place But if i was out of line I would like to know that too.
Old Sat Jun 16, 2007, 04:24pm
Official Forum Member

two quick answers

1. No - your batter was HBP and should have been awarded 1B.
2. Talk to the league umpire-in-chief or president.
Old Sat Jun 16, 2007, 06:14pm
Official Forum Member

Thanks do you by chance have a rule refrence
Old Sat Jun 16, 2007, 06:20pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by fonzzy07
We were playing OB (same as majors if my initials are wrong) rules just incase this matters.
The pitcher pitches the ball it hits the dirt and comes up and hits my player. The umpire calls the pitch a ball. I then left the dugout calmy to ask if the player was hit by the ball and the umpire said yes. I then asked why he did not get to take first base. The umpire said because the ball was dead once it hit the ground. This did not make sense. And I admit I do not know the rules of baseball well, and being a basketball official there is nothing I hate more then having a coach pretend to know the rules, so I said if the ball is dead then why can a runner advance on a ball that hits the dirt and rolls to the backstop. Or why if my batter would have swung at that pitch would it have been a strike. He then said "Shut up and go sit down before your night is done"
My first question is was the official right about the call?
My bigger question has nothing to do with the rule, I understand officials in general sometimes get rules wrong. However I felt by his languge he was unprofessional. How or a better question is should I file some kind of report with the league on this umpire for the professionalism. I could really care less about the actual call. I just asked so I would know for next time
Thanks.
P.S. I never once raised my voice at the umpire, never got in his face, and said only what I mentioned above so I do not feel like I was out of place But if i was out of line I would like to know that too.
You are obviously dealing with a Smitty, with an attitude.

Talk to your league commissioner. Depending on the league and the commissioner it may or may not have an impact.

To answer your question a ball that hits a batter is a dead ball always. The batter is awarded 1B unless the batter tried to get hit or did nothing to prevent it, or if he was swinging at it at the time he was hit in which case it's a strike. If he hits the pitch on the bounce over the fence it's a home run, or if he hits it on the bounce and is thrown out at 1B he is out. If he hits it on the bounce and pops it up and it is caught he is out. If he tips it on the bounce with a 2 strike count and it goes directly to the catcher's mitt and is caught he is out. If he swings and misses a bouncer with a 2 strike count the catcher must tag him with the ball or throw him out at 1B unless 1B is occupied with less than 2 outs.

Last edited by DG; Sat Jun 16, 2007 at 06:28pm.
Old Sat Jun 16, 2007, 07:26pm

Fonz, the ball wasn't dead when it hit the ground, but it was dead when it hit your player. This umpire is, as has been pointed out, a "Smitty" and needs to be banned from umpiring at least for telling you to shut up, much less for not knowing a simple baseball rule. It's okay for a coach not to know some of the rules, but umpires are supposed to know them, especially the basic ones like this one.
Matthew 15:14, 1 Corinthians 1:23-25
Old Sat Jun 16, 2007, 09:49pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
The umpire said because the ball was dead once it hit the ground. This did not make sense.
I know you spoke kindly to the umpire, but here is the point.

When you as a coach feel that a rule has been misapplied it's simple. No need to carry the discussion any further.

Once blue said because the ball was dead once it hit the ground. The next words out of your mouth should have been "ok I protest"

Assuming this league has protest procedures in place. If they do not have protest procedures then simply report this incident to the UIC.

The umpire (assuming he was not solo) should also check with his partner on a rule interpretation to make sure it is right.

The rule reference was given to you. Rule 2.00 defintion of ball.

Pete Booth
Old Sat Jun 16, 2007, 10:17pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeteBooth
I know you spoke kindly to the umpire, but here is the point.

When you as a coach feel that a rule has been misapplied it's simple. No need to carry the discussion any further.

Once blue said because the ball was dead once it hit the ground. The next words out of your mouth should have been "ok I protest"

Assuming this league has protest procedures in place. If they do not have protest procedures then simply report this incident to the UIC.

The umpire (assuming he was not solo) should also check with his partner on a rule interpretation to make sure it is right.

The rule reference was given to you. Rule 2.00 defintion of ball.

Pete Booth
Thanks,now I know for next time