The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Baseball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed Jun 13, 2007, 12:00pm
Official Forum Member

another one

This came up at a discussion at work. Bases loaded 1 out. Grounder hit to 3rd baseman, he tags the runner coming from second and throws to second to force the runner coming from first. Before the throw is completed, the runner on third touches home. Does the run count?
Old Wed Jun 13, 2007, 12:05pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to RPatrino Send a message via Yahoo to RPatrino
Imagine if you will, F5 throwing instead to F4 and they turned a 5-4-3 double play. Would the run count then?

-----------------------
We are stewards of baseball. Our customers aren't schools or coaches or conferences. Our customer is the game itself.
Old Wed Jun 13, 2007, 12:13pm
Official Forum Member

Third out is force. No runs can count. Simple.
Old Wed Jun 13, 2007, 12:14pm
Official Forum Member

I am not an umpire

RPatrino,
I am not an umpire, I am a football/basketball official. So this was my original thought. If the 5-4-3 is completed, I know the run doesn't count because you got the batter out. The discussion centered on whether the guy being forced at 2nd is the same as if the batter were forced at 1st. So if I read you correctly, you are saying that the run in my situation would not count. How about if the third baseman tagged the runner coming from second and for some reason they didn't get the the runner forced at second but tagged him instead, would the run count then?
Old Wed Jun 13, 2007, 12:15pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to RPatrino Send a message via Yahoo to RPatrino
I think confusing the issue was the tag for the out. The tag doesn't remove the force out situation. The runners are 'forced' to advance because there are runners behind them. The tags do not remove that requirement.

-----------------------
We are stewards of baseball. Our customers aren't schools or coaches or conferences. Our customer is the game itself.
Old Wed Jun 13, 2007, 12:21pm
Official Forum Member

no I wasn't confused by the tag, I know the force is still on. But you don't very often see an inning ending double play, that doesn't end with the batter being out. In my feeble mind I would have also thought that an inning ending double play in the same situation, that went third to second both being force outs, but the run crosses before the last out, would have scored. That is why those of us who know about this site come out to use it
Old Wed Jun 13, 2007, 01:02pm

From the rule book:

4.09 HOW A TEAM SCORES.

(a) One run shall be scored each time a runner legally advances to and touches first, second, third and home base before three men are put out to end the inning. EXCEPTION: A run is not scored if the runner advances to home base during a play in which the third out is made (1) by the batter-runner before he touches first base; (2) by any runner being forced out; or (3) by a preceding runner who is declared out because he failed to touch one of the bases.

Since the third out was made in a force out situation, no matter if a tag was made, no run can score.
Matthew 15:14, 1 Corinthians 1:23-25
Old Wed Jun 13, 2007, 03:00pm
Official Forum Member

Here's a different case where the run scores:

Bases loaded, 1 out. F5 fields the ball and tags R2. He then throws wildly to F4 at 2B, pulling him off the bag toward LF. R1 overslides the bag, and F4 tags him off the base for the 3rd out.

Since R1 has acquired 2B, the force is off. Now it's a time play: if the run scored before R1 was tagged, it counts.
Old Wed Jun 13, 2007, 06:59pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbyron
Here's a different case where the run scores:

Bases loaded, 1 out. F5 fields the ball and tags R2. He then throws wildly to F4 at 2B, pulling him off the bag toward LF. R1 overslides the bag, and F4 tags him off the base for the 3rd out.

Since R1 has acquired 2B, the force is off. Now it's a time play: if the run scored before R1 was tagged, it counts.

Just so. ..................