The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Baseball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Thu Jun 14, 2007, 07:04pm
Official Forum Member

Well Steve, it started as a "hey guys, check out these great prices!" post!
Old Fri Jun 15, 2007, 03:45pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeBa
I got WV Platinum during the recent Gerry Davis sale.
I previously used the Wilson Gray MLU for over 5 seasons.

I like the Platinum alot , it is much lighter than the Wilson Gray.
However, it seems to push up & float over my shoulders when I go into my stance.
The 1 piece molded upper chest-collar bone plate isn't really shaped to my body yet. I've only worn it for about 10 games, so far.

Jeff
This is why i'm hesitant to buy a gold or platinum because it seems as though it wouldn't sit on your shoulders as nicely as the MLU since the MLU has 2 separate plates for the shoulder and chest.
Old Mon Jun 18, 2007, 10:21am
Stop staring at me swan.

I will stick by my Pro-Nine CP...I got blasted twice this weekend and no bumps or bruises...Price is right and it's pretty lightweight...and this was with pitchers hitting 86 - 88 consistently on the gun and hitters w/ some pretty decent bat speed...took two shots right to the collarbone area
Old Thu Jun 28, 2007, 04:03am
In Time Out

Send a message via AIM to fitump56 Send a message via MSN to fitump56 Send a message via Yahoo to fitump56 Send a message via Skype™ to fitump56
Quote:
Originally Posted by SanDiegoSteve
Another chest protector thread?
Se(a)ms appropriate to me.
Old Thu Jun 28, 2007, 04:08am
In Time Out

Send a message via AIM to fitump56 Send a message via MSN to fitump56 Send a message via Yahoo to fitump56 Send a message via Skype™ to fitump56
Quote:
Originally Posted by msavakinas
high school umpire, who is getting a little bit of college next year and this fall... I'm looking to upgrade chest protectors and was wondering what I should go with. I'm 6'0 210 if that helps at all... I'm leaning towards the West Vest but I'm not sure which one? There's like the regular, the gold, the platinum... I don't know which one to go with. Any help at all is much appreciated.
My experience is that the Plat rides higher on my neck, the Gold works out fine. Put them on and set into your various PU positions.
Old Fri Jun 29, 2007, 06:54pm
Official Forum Member

Thanks for the info on these chest protectors. I received the Platinum last week and it is most definitely better than my previous one.
Old Fri Jun 29, 2007, 09:42pm
Official Forum Member

Ok,

The pro nine is a good chest protector for small diamond umpires.

The basic rule for umpire equipment:

"You get what you pay for."

Regards,
Old Fri Jun 29, 2007, 09:53pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to TussAgee11
Quote:
Originally Posted by JeBa

Maybe it's due to the fact that I'm only 5'8" (160 lbs), and almost out of harness adjustment.
I'm about 5' 10'' and 150 (160 while at college ) and have similar problems. The shoulder straps on my Platinum are tight as can be, yet I still feel as though when I lock in my collar bone is a bit exposed. I put everything on and stood in front of the mirror locked in and had someone with a baseball attempt to, while holding it, find a hole under my mask but above my platinum. Indeed, there was a hole, so I thought that my chin must be too high in my stance. I lowered my chin, and my collar bone on each side was still exposed.

Try tightening the straps that go around the sides of your body. You can get those pretty tight which then can hold the protector in place where you want it height wise.
Old Fri Jun 29, 2007, 10:13pm
Official Forum Member

i just got my plat last week. Same problem you had by finally after tinkering with the straps I got it high enough. I think I had to actually let out the shoulder straps, and tighten the back and side straps.
A huge improvement over the +pos armour.
Old Sat Jun 30, 2007, 10:12am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim C

Regards,
I try telling that to umpires all the time, Tee, and many just don't get it. Then they wonder why they keep getting hurt.

I can understand some teenage umpire unable to afford the better gear, but those kids aren't doing college ball anyway.
Old Sun Jul 01, 2007, 10:42am
Official Forum Member

pro nine

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim C

Regards,

tim
i understand that you don't think the pro-nine can hold up to high level ball - i'm considering it for college ball - all levels. pro-nine's website claims it can take 95mph + and the guy who runs purchase officials in PA (a former minor league ump, recommends it as well) i'm not worried about price - i just want something smaller than my WV-Gold. have you used pro-nine and been disappointed with its performance?? if so, do you have anything else to recommend.

thanks.
Old Mon Jul 02, 2007, 01:15pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by newump
tim
i understand that you don't think the pro-nine can hold up to high level ball - i'm considering it for college ball - all levels. pro-nine's website claims it can take 95mph + and the guy who runs purchase officials in PA (a former minor league ump, recommends it as well) i'm not worried about price - i just want something smaller than my WV-Gold. have you used pro-nine and been disappointed with its performance?? if so, do you have anything else to recommend.

thanks.
Hey all,

You will be MUCH better off sticking with the Gold vs going to the Pro-Nine. I have used the Pro-Nine and will not go back to it unless it is an emergency. (such as my V-Sport breaks AND I can't fix it AND I can't keep it held together under my shirt AND my partner refuses to switch with me!)

LomUmp
Old Mon Jul 02, 2007, 02:48pm
Stop staring at me swan.

40 games later and a couple of collarbone and center mass blasts on a big diamond (pitchers throwing low 80's)...still loving the Pro Nine
Old Tue Jul 03, 2007, 12:09am
In Time Out

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnyg08
40 games later and a couple of collarbone and center mass blasts on a big diamond (pitchers throwing low 80's)...still loving the Pro Nine
The Pro Nine is made by a manufacturer whose name eludes me, you can buy direct and it is also renamed by others, then distributed by them with very mnor modifications.
Old Tue Jul 03, 2007, 10:59am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JR12
i just got my plat last week. Same problem you had by finally after tinkering with the straps I got it high enough. I think I had to actually let out the shoulder straps, and tighten the back and side straps.
A huge improvement over the +pos armour.
I have the +pos armour and am thinking of getting the w vest plat. Why do you say it is a huge improvement?