The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Baseball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed Jun 13, 2007, 08:55am
Official Forum Member

simple question

Hey guys and gals, I am a football and basketball guy....Like all parents/fans I think I know a little about the rules of baseball....However I am sure I don't know the nuances and all that. When is a batted ball considered/called a foul ball. In the game in question the batter hit the ball it was a little bit of a pop up ver short (7-8 yr olds) it hit in foul territory then bounced fair. It was about 15 feet down the 1st base line. The ump was just another parent as the league forgot to send us an umpire. One of the coaches said it was foul, so the kid didn't run...the Ump said it should have been fair because it came back in, and it just got me wondering?
Old Wed Jun 13, 2007, 08:59am
Official Forum Member

Look at this thread: Foul tip hits home plate

It talks about how to determine if a ball is fair or foul when the ball is "in the infield". i.e. before first and third bases.
Old Wed Jun 13, 2007, 09:01am
Official Forum Member

Unless the ball passes first or third base if it hits in foul territory and comes back into fair ground this would be a fair ball. You must remember that the ball can not hit any outside agency such as a fence,equipment or even a coach or player if they are in the vicinity.
Old Wed Jun 13, 2007, 10:53am
Official Forum Member

OBR 2.00

A FAIR BALL

is a batted ball that settles on fair ground between home and first base, or between home and third base, or that is on or over fair territory when bounding to the outfield past first or third base, or that touches first, second or third base, or that first falls on fair territory on or beyond first base or third base, or that, while on or over fair territory, touches the person of an umpire or player, or that, while over fair territory, passes out of the playing field in flight.

A fair fly shall be judged according to the relative position of the ball and the foul line, including the foul pole, and not as to whether the fielder is on fair or foul territory at the time he touches the ball.

Official Notes – Case Book – Comments: If a fly ball lands in the infield between home and first base, or home and third base, and then bounces to foul territory without touching a player or umpire and before passing first or third base, it is a foul ball; or if the ball settles on foul territory or is touched by a player on foul territory, it is a foul ball. If a fly ball lands on or beyond first or third base and then bounces to foul territory, it is a fair hit.

A FOUL BALL

is a batted ball that settles on foul territory between home and first base, or between home and third base, or that bounds past first or third base on or over foul territory or that first falls on foul territory beyond first or third base, or that, while on or over foul territory, touches the person of an umpire or player, or any object foreign to the natural ground.

Official Notes — Case Book — Comments: A fly ball shall be judged according to the relative position of the ball and the foul line, including the foul pole, and not as to whether the fielder is on foul or fair territory at the time he touches the ball.
Old Wed Jun 13, 2007, 11:59am
Official Forum Member

thanks all I appreciate it