The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Baseball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Thu May 31, 2007, 04:19am
Archaic Power Monger

Question for you FED Umpires

So I'm looking in to starting to call FED ball next Spring and I'm wondering something.

What kind of regular job do you have and how does your employer feel about you leaving work early once or twice a week? Most games around here seem to start at 4 o'clock. Between traffic and getting to the field early enough to have a good pre-game and inspect equipment, it seems I would have to leave work as early as 2.

I'm just starting my career and I'm hesitant to ask for something like this, but I also want to start working High School soon with the eventual goal of calling Division 1 NCAA baseball. I figure that's going to take quite a few years and a lot more training.

I'd appreciate any suggestions or adivce.
Old Thu May 31, 2007, 06:24am
Official Forum Member

I use vacation time and personal time to cover my leaving. Unfortunately, this season it was impossible to leave early enough so I only got to do a couple of "under the lights" games.
Old Thu May 31, 2007, 06:28am
Official Forum Member

You are at somewhat of a disadvantage if your FED games will start at 4:00. An employer can only be so understanding and leaving your workplace at 2:00 in the afternoon, 2-3 times per week may be asking too much.

If you new career also includes wanting to umpire a regular FED schedule, then your employer or career choice must have the availability of time built in. If not, your going to have to change something.

NCAA Division 1 baseball: are you familiar with the travel involved in this endeavor as well as the start times of these games? Most of the Mon.-Thu. games begin early in the afternoon.

IMHO, umpiring is a hobby that I enjoy immensely. My FED games do not begin until 5:00, usually 7:00, so my regular work schedule is not an issue. In most associations, you set your own schedule as far as when you are available and most assignors will work within your time constraints.

Best of luck in your new career!
Old Thu May 31, 2007, 07:13am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Welpe
So I'm looking in to starting to call FED ball next Spring and I'm wondering something.

What kind of regular job do you have and how does your employer feel about you leaving work early once or twice a week? Most games around here seem to start at 4 o'clock. Between traffic and getting to the field early enough to have a good pre-game and inspect equipment, it seems I would have to leave work as early as 2.

I'm just starting my career and I'm hesitant to ask for something like this, but I also want to start working High School soon with the eventual goal of calling Division 1 NCAA baseball. I figure that's going to take quite a few years and a lot more training.

See if you can work 6 - 2 during the baseball season. (Or 6-2 on game days (2-3 per week) and 6-5 on the other days (3-2 per week))
Old Thu May 31, 2007, 08:11am
Official Forum Member

Or you can just show up 5-minutes before game time and skip all the preliminaries. More than likely, if your partner is an old-timer, that's what he's gonna do.

As for Division I . . . you can probably start at lower Junior College and NAIA games next season. The downside is those games normally start earlier in the afternoon and you may have to drive as far as 90-miles.

Jerry
Old Thu May 31, 2007, 08:39am
Official Forum Member

Welpe

I face your issue in an almost identical situation.

During the 39 years that I have umpired high school baseball I had two employers that flat refused me the opportunity to umpire. It was all schedule oriented:

"Tee, our office is open till 5 O'clock and I expect ALL my employees to be here until then."

That edict restricted me to working summer games only that have later start times.

I now have an employment opportunity that I am committed to the office for 12 hours a day -- HOWEVER -- by using the following sales device I am allowed the ability to tweak my schedule enough to work "some" high school baseball.

I went to my employer and showed him that what I am doing is a service to the community. Working high school baseball for me is the same as working as a volunteer at a local food bank or counseling center.

By the time I leave work early (I am an hourly employee), drive to my game (gas last week went for $3.41/gallon for regular), buy my equipment and pay my assigning fees I PAY to work games.

I documented how short we were for umpires in my area and how it effected the scheduling of games.

He agreed that what I was doing was supplying a low cost volunteer service to an important segment of our population.

I used my comp time/vacation time to umpire twice a week. This means that get only 20 high school games (regular season) and 2 or 3 playoff opportunities but at least I get to work.

My suggestion is to explain to your employer that your job is the most important thing in your "personal life" and would like to strike some type of an agreement so you can offer your services to your community.

Regards,

Tim Christensen

National Federation of High Schools
Publication Committee
Old Thu May 31, 2007, 08:39am
Official Forum Member

Quote:

1. How long have you been at the job? and
2. Is it imperative that you be there all day

As Ozzy said some employers allow you to take vacation/personal time

Also, if your employer permits, start work earlier or come in on Saturday / Sunday to make up the time / work

Do not know about your area, but here we fill out our availability at the beginning of the season. Don't know if you work Saturdays, but if you can't get out of work during the week you can put in for Saturday's only or games that start "under the lights"

If you aspiration is to umpire college then you might need a job that ends at 1 / 2 PM because College ball involves many traveling miles which is one of the main reasons I did not puruse it.

Pete Booth
Old Thu May 31, 2007, 09:49am
Official Forum Member

Welpe,

All who have responded have given you sage advice. My supervisor(s) have been very flexible when it comes to me leaving early. I have a large chunk of vacation leave (we don't get paid a lot but we get a good amount of leave) and I use that or comp time when I leave early. However, I limit most of my leaving early to the month of March and I will only work 2 games a week during most of the HS season.

Lawrence
Old Fri Jun 01, 2007, 03:56am
Archaic Power Monger

Thanks for the great advice everyone, it is much appreciated.

Quote:
Originally Posted by etn_ump

NCAA Division 1 baseball: are you familiar with the travel involved in this endeavor as well as the start times of these games? Most of the Mon.-Thu. games begin early in the afternoon.
I know that it can be pretty extensive, but that is a long term, somewhat lofty goal that I am going for. My more focused, short term goal is to develop the skills I have established and become a better umpire. If I find that doesn't include Division I, or even NCAA at all, so be it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerry
As for Division I . . . you can probably start at lower Junior College and NAIA games next season. The downside is those games normally start earlier in the afternoon and you may have to drive as far as 90-miles.
While I probably could work that level, it probably would not be wise. The highest level of ball I've worked is LL Seniors (15-16 year olds) and the same age traveling teams. Since I've been away from the avocation for a few years, I think it'd behoove me to pick it up back there and at the Freshman/JV level. Though it would provide some interesting posts on this forum... "So I kicked a call today and ejected 7 people....".

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim C
I now have an employment opportunity that I am committed to the office for 12 hours a day -- HOWEVER -- by using the following sales device I am allowed the ability to tweak my schedule enough to work "some" high school baseball.
Tee, that is an interesting approach, I may just have to try that. Of course, this all depends upon how flexible my job turns out to be.

Pete, I have not actually started. I start in late June after I graduate from College on the 16th. Obviously a lot of things are uncertain right now but I'm trying to figure out some things ahead of time. I am also looking at attending either the Jim Evan's Desert Classic or the Florida Classic this year (only if I could manage the whole 5 week thing but I think my new wife would kill me).

In the mean time, I'll try contacting a couple of local associations and see what they have to say.

Thanks again everybody!
Old Fri Jun 01, 2007, 02:16pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:

My situation is unique. As an employer (my company works projects rather than a set job) I'm pretty flexible just as long as my project stays on schedule. In most cases it doesn't matter if my guys are on-site from 6-2 or 5-1 or whatever just as long as everyone is together for our daily status meeting. Also there are times when a particular team member may be needed at a specific time so I expect them to be there. I know that in most cases a retail business can not allow their employees to work such a flex schedule because they have to cover set hours each day (I' recently become involved in a couple of retail franchise things too). You might have to change careers.

Working college ball requires even more time. As has been previously stated it requires more travel (usually). Back years ago when I worked college ball it was the travel time that forced me to give it up also my business was just taking off and I had to devote 110% of my time to it. Now that I'm 95% retired I can enjoy working baseball/softball but I still do not work college ball. I was asked recently if I'd like to work JUCO but I declined because of the travel....getting too old and cranky to deal with the travel.

Good luck to you with your umpiring goals. You might want to consider attending one of the pro schools, even if you don't make it the first time through you'll learn a lot of good stuff.
Old Fri Jun 01, 2007, 02:58pm
Official Forum Member

I am salary employee so what I usually do is show up at 7(my usual start time is 8) and put in 8.5 hours and charge for 8 and leave around 4:30 for games. I guess it just depends on the line of work you do...I work with an engineering consultant so as long as I work and charge my job to a client then there is no problem.
Old Fri Jun 01, 2007, 03:42pm
Do not give a damn!!

I am in sales and work for myself. I am an independent contractor in my regular job so I set my schedule and I work as much or as little as I need or want to. I also set parameters for when I work and how far I work games. For HS games I try not to travel much at all because I cannot go all over the place because I have other obligations.

Peace
Old Fri Jun 01, 2007, 04:29pm
Official Forum Member

I enter work 15-30 minutes early every day (following long commute) and stay 10-20 extra hours every week. I explain that baseball season is only 2 months long and I put in that time fivefold the rest of the year. That didn't mean very much my first year, but as I have gained staus with more work experience, it is also beginning to mean something more to me. Or at least, I rationalize it that way. We are also short umpires in my area. I try to leave by 3:30, with 30 minute drive time prior to 4:30 start. Summer games don't start until 6 DSL or 8 DSL because of the heat. My coworkers know what I do and the passion I have for umpiring. By the time I leave work early, drive to my game, buy my equipment or pay for instructional time and assigning fees, I PAY to work games too.

Last edited by SAump; Fri Jun 01, 2007 at 04:39pm.
Old Fri Jun 01, 2007, 04:34pm
Stop staring at me swan.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SAump
I face an identical situation. We are also short umpires in my area.
I try to leave by 3:30, with 30 minute drive time prior to 4:30 start.
By the time I leave work early, drive to my game, buy my equipment and pay my assigning fees I PAY to work games.

I also go into work 15-30 minutes early every day (following long commute)and stay 10-20 extra hours every week. I explain that baseball season is only 2 months long and I put in that time fivefold the rest of the year.
similar here...but I'm still in the black...
Old Fri Jun 01, 2007, 07:05pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:

What kind of regular job do you have and how does your employer feel about you leaving work early once or twice a
I teach school. No problem. Last class ends at 2:30, I'm required to remain on campus until 3:00. HS games start at 3:45 in the early season and 4:15 after the clocks get moved forward.