The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Baseball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed May 30, 2007, 03:14pm
BigGuy

Windup position - position of pivot foot

FED Rules
From windup position pitcher stands with pivot foot (right foot) in contact with the LEFT SIDE (when facing the plate) of the rubber, and the toes in front of the imaginary line. Begins windup and slides his foot to the front edge as he is turning. I have never seen it before. Everything I've read indicates it's legal. Curious as to whether or not there are old CBs that cover this type of action and if in fact it is legal.
Old Wed May 30, 2007, 04:01pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigGuy
FED Rules
From windup position pitcher stands with pivot foot (right foot) in contact with the LEFT SIDE (when facing the plate) of the rubber, and the toes in front of the imaginary line. Begins windup and slides his foot to the front edge as he is turning. I have never seen it before. Everything I've read indicates it's legal. Curious as to whether or not there are old CBs that cover this type of action and if in fact it is legal.
FED doesn't clarify that the pitcher's pivot foot must not be off the end of the pitcher's plate.

Looking in my BRD (2005), and it states that NCAA and OBR have that requirement.

I was looking for a case play but don't have my book with me. Maybe someone has a reference.

Thansk
David
Old Thu May 31, 2007, 01:09am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by David B
FED doesn't clarify that the pitcher's pivot foot must not be off the end of the pitcher's plate.

Looking in my BRD (2005), and it states that NCAA and OBR have that requirement.

I was looking for a case play but don't have my book with me. Maybe someone has a reference.

Thansk
David
OBR changed that in 2006 (One of the 20+ changes/updates).
Old Thu May 31, 2007, 02:21am

Quote:
Originally Posted by David B

Thansk
David
Rule 8.01(a) (snipped):

When a pitcher holds the ball with both hands in front of his body, with his pivot foot in contact with the pitcher’s plate and his other foot free, he will be considered in the Windup Position.
Rule 8.01(a) Comment: In the Windup Position, a pitcher is permitted to have his “free” foot on the rubber, in front of the rubber, behind the rubber or off the side of the rubber.

As long as the pivot foot is in contact, it doesn't matter where on the rubber it is.
Matthew 15:14, 1 Corinthians 1:23-25

Last edited by SanDiegoSteve; Thu May 31, 2007 at 02:25am.