The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Baseball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old Sat Jun 12, 2004, 01:04am
Official Forum Member

I'm hear reading OBR rule 8.01 and I have a question. Here I will copy it below. I deleted a few sentences that are irreveliant.

(a) The Windup Position. The pitcher shall stand facing the batter, his entire pivot foot on, or in front of and touching and not off the end of the pitcher's plate, and the other foot free. When a pitcher holds the ball with both hands in front of his body, with his entire pivot foot on, or in front of and touching but not off the end of the pitcher's plate, and his other foot free, he will be considered in the Windup Position. The pitcher may have one foot, not the pivot foot, off the rubber and any distance he may desire back of a line which is an extension to the back edge of the pitcher's plate, but not at either side of the pitcher's plate. With his "free" foot the pitcher may take one step backward and one step forward, but under no circumstances, to either side, that is to either the first base or third base side of the pitcher's rubber. If a pitcher holds the ball with both hands in front of his body, with his entire pivot foot on or in front of and touching but not off the end of the pitcher's plate, and his other foot free, he will be considered in a windup position.

Just want to make sure I am reading this correctly. Ok so here is my question. Pitcher is in the windup position. His piviot foot is in a legal position. The question arrises in the placement of his non-pivot foot. It must be either on the rubber, or if it is off, it must be behind the rubber, and not off the side of the rubber. Is that right? I feel stupid for asking this, but I just want to make sure.