The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Baseball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 4 votes, 2.00 average. Display Modes
Old Mon Nov 05, 2007, 03:42pm
Official Forum Member

what are you saying??
It's sad when you're at a baseball game and realize that you'll never have the money, status or talent that the guys on the field take for granted. And it gets even worse when the grounds crew gives way to the players.
Old Tue Nov 20, 2007, 02:13pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JJ
That WAS the guy from Creighton. Pretty cool. And he threw the ball VERY well - watch for him to get signed in next year's amateur draft.

JJ
I got to see him pitch several times this summer. He played for the Wisconsin Woodchucks, a team in the Northwoods League (a summer collegiate wood bat league in Wisconsin, Minnisota, and Iowa). It was remarkable.

Here is his Bio from the Woodchuck website.

http://www.woodchucks.com/2007Players/Venditte.shtml

Also, he's already been drafted by the New York Yankees in the 49th round of the 2007 MLB Draft

Last edited by gilbert924; Tue Nov 20, 2007 at 02:27pm.
Old Fri Nov 23, 2007, 06:04am
In Time Out

Send a message via AIM to fitump56 Send a message via MSN to fitump56 Send a message via Yahoo to fitump56 Send a message via Skype™ to fitump56
Quote:
Originally Posted by celebur
Never heard of him. . .where does Prolly play?
Wanna Cracker.
Old Fri Nov 23, 2007, 06:14am
In Time Out

Send a message via AIM to fitump56 Send a message via MSN to fitump56 Send a message via Yahoo to fitump56 Send a message via Skype™ to fitump56
Quote:
Originally Posted by SanDiegoSteve
I have seen and umpired a few 13-14 year old Pony League players who could throw 80+ from 54'. Some are now in pro ball throwing in the 90s from 60'6".
I have seen and umpired a few hundred 13-14 year players who could throw 80+ from 54'. So many went on to pro ball throwing in the 90s from 60'6" I can't count them.
Old Sat Nov 24, 2007, 07:47pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by fitump56
I have seen and umpired a few hundred 13-14 year players who could throw 80+ from 54'. So many went on to pro ball throwing in the 90s from 60'6" I can't count them.
People are mistaken if they believe velocity makes a successful pitcher. As Leo Mazonne stated, those radar guns belong in the garbage. So long as the pitcher can throw hard enough (70+ mph) to mix in a changeup, control his pitches, and has good movement, he can retire any Major League hitter. Just ask Greg Maddux, Jamie Moyer, Chad Bradford or Pedro Martinez in the latter half of his career. Heck I got cut from my university baseball team because I didn't throw hard enough, even though nobody could come close to hitting the ball into the outfield against me .
Old Sat Nov 24, 2007, 08:36pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by fitump56
Don't lie, it's not cool. Okay, name one hundred 13-14 year olds who could throw 80+. I want names and the pro team they went on to play for.
Matthew 15:14, 1 Corinthians 1:23-25
Old Sat Nov 24, 2007, 08:48pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by canadaump6
Heck I got cut from my university baseball team because I didn't throw hard enough, even though nobody could come close to hitting the ball into the outfield against me .
Let's assume that second half of that sentence is true. (I know, I know, we have to suspend reality, but let's try)

Okay, NOBODY came close to hitting to the outfield when you pitched. That would mean your ERA must have been close to or below 0.50. (Unless of course the infield couln't throw to first.)

That would also mean you must have had many, many games with very few hits.

So,then, your "University" coach cut a pitcher who gave up extremely few hits and next to zero runs.

Hmmmmmmmmmmmm.

You seem to have a history of being very good at what you do, yet unappreciated by your superiors. Your assignor doesn't give you good games and your old coach cut you when you must have been the best pitcher he had ever seen.

Hmmmmmmmmmmmmm.

What's that smell? Oh, yeah. Bullsh!t.
Old Sat Nov 24, 2007, 10:45pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
That would also mean you must have had many, many games with very few hits.
Sorry for the confusion, but I only pitched two innings as these were tryouts. 0 hits, 1 walk, 1 strikeout and it took them two errors and a double steal, all in the same inning, to score a run against me.

Quote:
You seem to have a history of being very good at what you do, yet unappreciated by your superiors. Your assignor doesn't give you good games and your old coach cut you when you must have been the best pitcher he had ever seen.
You probably said that to bait me into going into a tirade, but that's not going to happen. Yes I have been under-rated as an umpire. Yes I have also been under-rated as a ballplayer. But that's the past and I'm looking forward to the future.

Quote:
What's that smell? Oh, yeah. Bullsh!t.
Jack Morris once said "let sleeping dogs lie" after the Blue Jays staged a comeback against the Atlanta Braves in the World Series. I suggest you follow his advice.

Hey speaking of bull****, remember that time you said you'd love to see me work a game? Yeah that's what I thought.
Old Sat Nov 24, 2007, 11:38pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Sorry for the confusion, but I only pitched two innings as these were tryouts. 0 hits, 1 walk, 1 strikeout and it took them two errors and a double steal, all in the same inning, to score a run against me.

Quote:
You probably said that to bait me into going into a tirade, but that's not going to happen. Yes I have been under-rated as an umpire. Yes I have also been under-rated as a ballplayer. But that's the past and I'm looking forward to the future.

No baiting....just looking for the truth, and it was as convoluted as I thought it would be.

Quote:
Jack Morris once said "let sleeping dogs lie" after the Blue Jays staged a comeback against the Atlanta Braves in the World Series. I suggest you follow his advice.
Is that a threat? What are you going to do...Lie about me and my son again? That was real classy.

Quote:
Hey speaking of bull****, remember that time you said you'd love to see me work a game? Yeah that's what I thought.
That was no bull. As would many who post here, I would LOVE to see you work a game. And as I said earlier, the next time I find myself visiting family in upstate New York, I'd be happy to drive up and buy a ticket for that honor.

Last edited by GarthB; Sat Nov 24, 2007 at 11:42pm.
Old Sun Nov 25, 2007, 12:07am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Is that a threat? What are you going to do...Lie about me and my son again? That was real classy.
I'm not gonna lie; I shouldn't have brought your son into our argument. That was wrong. Not justifying it, but you had been asking for a tongue-lashing for weeks, and really pushed me over the edge on that occasion.

Quote:
That was no bull. As would many who post here, I would LOVE to see you work a game. And as I said earlier, the next time I find myself visiting family in upstate New York, I'd be happy to drive up and buy a ticket for that honor.
Perfect. I would love to meet you, because as much as you and I feud, I'm sure I could learn a few things from you on umpiring. You don't have to buy a ticket. I'd be happy to pay for your transportation and a small mentoring fee, that is if mentoring is your motivation.
Old Sun Nov 25, 2007, 01:23am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
but you had been asking for a tongue-lashing for weeks,
You have seriously misinterpreted what's going on here.

I'm straight. Sorry if you got your hopes up.
Old Sun Nov 25, 2007, 12:17pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob jenkins

OBR: Each can switch once. It's in NAPBL, if not elsewhere.

NCAA and FED: Pitcher must declare. No restrictions on the batter.

The batter is free to switch sides pitch by pitch as long as he doesn't disconcert the pitcher. The one time switch is only with an ambidextrous pitcher. and yes, it's in PBUC.