The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Baseball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed Dec 19, 2001, 05:13pm
Official Forum Member

Talking

ey all'

I am a new poster to this forum, i am a cross over bb, vb, so novice. I am trying to learn the ropes for sb and bb. But, the first thing that I have to do is purchase equipment. What do i need, and where would be the best place to purchase this? thanks

Doug
Old Wed Dec 19, 2001, 06:05pm
Official Forum Member

Lightbulb

Go to your local association meeting. Attempt to buy as much of your equipment and/or outer garments used, if possible.

Umpires are always upgrading to the "latest and greatest" so opportunities are usually around if you ask.
Old Wed Dec 19, 2001, 11:34pm
Official Forum Member

Talking

If you want to avoid severe brain cramps, pick either baseball or softball to start - not both. There's enough differences to drive you nuts if you're just in learn mode.
Old Thu Dec 20, 2001, 08:44am
Official Forum Member

Aren't the differences basically:
1. The pitching
2. Baserunning

Old Thu Dec 20, 2001, 11:14am
Official Forum Member

Originally posted by Doug

I am a new poster to this forum, i am a cross over bb, vb, so novice. I am trying to learn the ropes for sb and bb. But, the first thing that I have to do is purchase equipment. What do i need, and where would be the best place to purchase this? thanks

First things first

IMO, you need to define your umpiring goals

Since you said "novice" and did not indicate whether you are umpiring kids who shave from kids that don't I will answer as follows:

If you are a "novice" umpire and if you umpire kids who do not shave, I would not go "crazy" and spend lots of money on equipment. As another poster suggested, you can by good used equipment from another official.

If you umpire kids who shave, you can still by used equipment but make certian you have enough protection for yourself.

You said SB, if it's slow pitch, all you need is a mask and you can use the one that you have when umpiring BB. If it's fast pitch, you can use your regular equipment for BB, so IMO you do not need separate equipment for SB other than the uniform that's required of a SB official.

New equipment can be expensive. I did not upgrade my equipment until I became HS certified and started getting paid for my services. It's much easier to purchase equipment when the funds do not come from the family budget.

All in all as I previosuly stated, start by determining your umpire goals and that will lead you to what type of equipment you need to purchase. Remember, in addition to equipment, you have shirts, pants, jacket (if you umpire in a cold weather state), socks, etc. In other words accessories that cost money as well.

Good Luck!

Pete Booth
Old Thu Dec 20, 2001, 12:01pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by devilsadvocate
1. The pitching
2. Baserunning

AND:
baserunning awards
inteference penalties,
obstructon penalties,
equipment/uniform requirements,jewerly violations
substitution/DH/EH/DP,
loose equipment/blocked ball penalties,
definition of catch,
strike zone definition,
appeal proceedures,
F1 removing themself from pitcher's plate,
overrunning 1st on BOB,
BR moving back toward home,
ect and so on.

Add the differences between the sanctioning bodies and the BRD looks simple.

Roger Greene
Old Thu Dec 20, 2001, 03:30pm
Official Forum Member

IMO,

First impressions always. If you're a novice...atleast look like a vet. I would recommend buying all the nickle and dime stuff (relatively speaking) new. The shirt, the pants, the ball bags, etc... should be new. That is what everyone sees. If you buy this stuff used, it will be either faded, torn, to baggy/tight etc... Is that the first impression you want to see?

I would then buy the most expensive stuff like the chest protector and shins used. Work up if you like Baseball. I am sure being a novice, that they aren't going to place you in High School or higher games yet. So a nice used foam type protector should work.

Read the rules...ask Carl Childress a lot of questions...use this forum and you should be good to go!!!
Old Thu Dec 20, 2001, 05:27pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Roger Greene
Quote:
Originally posted by devilsadvocate
1. The pitching
2. Baserunning

AND:
baserunning awards
inteference penalties,
obstructon penalties,
equipment/uniform requirements,jewerly violations
substitution/DH/EH/DP,
loose equipment/blocked ball penalties,
definition of catch,
strike zone definition,
appeal proceedures,
F1 removing themself from pitcher's plate,
overrunning 1st on BOB,
BR moving back toward home,
ect and so on.

Add the differences between the sanctioning bodies and the BRD looks simple.

Roger Greene
No wonder they don't ask me to do softball!

Old Thu Dec 20, 2001, 05:42pm
Official Forum Member

An alternative to buying used.....

If you are able to get away with it, don't buy any equipment for a while. Hopefully, the league you are umpiring for has some "extra" equipment you can use for the games. See how much you like it. Then decide what to buy.

Whereas most of the posters have said to buy used first, it may be wiser (and less expensive in the long run) to go ahead and buy the top notch equipment now. If you really enjoy umpiring, your aspirations will probably grow quickly (LL this year, HS in a couple more).

To me, it makes more sense to spend $150 on a West Vest Gold and have the top protection now, rather than spend $40 on a vest that offers much less protection, and then turnaround in a year and get the West Vest anyway.

Now, I'm all for saving money. I spent $80 for a K1 chest protector and $60 for some +POS316 shinguards (both on ebay). I did spend $120 on some plate shoes (gotta protect my toezy wozeys). If any of the better equipment keeps me from having a serious injury, it was money well spent.

Borrow the equipment if possible, determine how much you like umpiring, then purchase the best equipment that you can afford.

Old Sun Dec 23, 2001, 10:57am
Official Forum Member

Talking Honigs

I was looking at honigs, I checked out the chest protectors and they are 139 and the shins are 72.95, I think I might go with the package for 235, which includes chest,shin, and face mask, except I don't need the face mask. Do any of you need the $80 face mask shown in the magazine, I don't want to make money on it, It would be cheaper and wiser for me to purchase the package, since I want good equipment because the kids do shave. I did summer league for the past few years, and this year is going to be my first in high school ball. But, I want to get rid of the mask, thanks.
Old Sun Dec 23, 2001, 01:48pm
Official Forum Member

Thumbs up

Buy the package and sell the mask at your local meeting
Old Thu Dec 27, 2001, 11:56am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to Ump20
Quote:
Originally posted by Doug
ey all'

Doug
Suggestions abound. Some suggest buying Used while others advocate buying New. If you do belong to an association you might ask a few umpires to bring their equipment down to a meeting so you can have a look at what others are using. Umpire preferences can be like looking at girls. One guy thinks Sally's a real looker while the next guy "...wouldn't be caught dead with her". One guy will swear by POS+ and another will say Gerry Davis is the only equipment he would wear. I think that it is very important to gauge the enjoyment and seriousness of officiating. If you decide after a year that it isn't for you then you may have "invested" too much in equipment. You can consider looking to spend top dollar for certain equipment, let's say lightweight mask for example but go for a lower priced chest protector and plate shoes. You might also want to consider plate/base shoes that can be used for both positions. If you pay $50 for plate shoes you can always upgrade to $130 shoes next year and use the lower-priced shoes for Little League games or conditions where you have to umpire in muddy conditions. Jim/NYC