The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Baseball (https://forum.officiating.com/baseball/)
-   -   2 outs B or C?? (https://forum.officiating.com/baseball/34724-2-outs-b-c.html)

bob jenkins Fri May 18, 2007 07:08am

Quote:

Originally Posted by JRutledge
Can you reference which books talk about outs in relationship to basic positioning?

Peace

It's not a manual, but the IHSA 3-man mechanics have U1 in B with R2 (or R2 and R3) and less than two outs, but in A with R2 (or R2 and R3) and two outs.

bob jenkins Fri May 18, 2007 07:11am

Quote:

Originally Posted by David B
We stay in B all the time with our HS crews.

I noticed in college game last week that the umpires are using B even with 3 man crew and runner at 1st or 1st and 2nd.

since I haven't done college in a couple of years was just wondering if that was a change since I used to see them in C most of the time.

As for your question, I prefer B.

thanks
David

CCA Mechanics give U3 the option of Deep-B or Deep-C with R1 only and a RH batter at the plate.

David B Fri May 18, 2007 07:31am

Quote:

Originally Posted by bob jenkins
CCA Mechanics give U3 the option of Deep-B or Deep-C with R1 only and a RH batter at the plate.

Thanks Bob, yes he was in deep B. And he made several nice calls in the game from that position.

thanks
David

GarthB Fri May 18, 2007 08:36am

Quote:

Originally Posted by ibgman
Well, how about we start with the NFHS (FED) Umpires Manual Pages 37 -87? No where does it say, in either 2/3 or 4 man mechanics, you are positioned by the number of outs.

-g

Hmmmm. Is that the manual that has PU covering third on a bases empty triple? Haven't read it in years.

The CCA manual which we use for high school as well as college games provides the option, in certain situations, to switch to B when there are two outs.

Toadman15241 Fri May 18, 2007 08:42am

Quote:

Originally Posted by David B
We stay in B all the time with our HS crews.

I noticed in college game last week that the umpires are using B even with 3 man crew and runner at 1st or 1st and 2nd.

since I haven't done college in a couple of years was just wondering if that was a change since I used to see them in C most of the time.

As for your question, I prefer B.

thanks
David

I was watching a D1 game the other day and I saw the crew switch during an at bat based on the situation. Men on 1st and 2nd, they start in the normal A-C, but when the batter shows bunt on the first pitch they switch to B-D. Is this CCA mechanics?

David B Fri May 18, 2007 08:57am

Change ain't bad always

Quote:

Originally Posted by Toadman15241
I was watching a D1 game the other day and I saw the crew switch during an at bat based on the situation. Men on 1st and 2nd, they start in the normal A-C, but when the batter shows bunt on the first pitch they switch to B-D. Is this CCA mechanics?

Don't know about CCA but that's pretty smart umpiring.

Only my opinion, but I see too many umpires that are bound to a manual, (sometimes because they have no options by their group or association) and they don't use common sense.

We give our guys in HS several options and they can choose their preference.

One is three man, B or C for U3. The other is the options with two out to have B and C or A and B (that's with R1 and R2.)

Hey if i stick around long enough I'm sure all of this is going to change again, probably sooner than later.

Thanks
David

bellsjc Fri May 18, 2007 10:50am

I may be doing this incorrectly but... regardless of outs, I am in A with no baserunners, I am in B with runner on 1st only, runners on 2nd & 3rd, runners on 3rd only, and with bases loaded, and I am in C with runners on 2nd only, and runners on 1st and 2nd.

PeteBooth Fri May 18, 2007 11:02am

Quote:

Quote:

Originally Posted by tibear
I was reading a 2 umpire position manual where it states that with 2 outs and runner's on base that it is acceptable for base umpire to position themselves in position B regardless of the position of the runners.

The belief is that most plays will take place at first base in this situation and being in B gives the umpire a better look at the play. It further explained that the B position gives a good angle for any plays at second and third.

Opinions??

We now have the metal bat to deal with and unfortuanely the mechanics do not differentiate between wood bat mechanics vs. metal bat mechanics.

I do not know about others but I almost "bought the farm" on a couple of shots off of a metal bat.

Therefore, the answer to your question IMO varies game to game.

Example: let's say we have 2 outs R2 only and a powerful right hand hitter at the plate who you noticed all game long has been pulling the ball. In that case I will move to the 'opposite side" of the batter's power alley meaning I would be in position "B"

Metal bats have not only changed the game for the participants but for umpires as well. I now position myself in a "deeper" B / C position than I would if I were umpiring a wood bat game.

IMO, our safety comes first and for the vast majority of umpires we do not make our living from umpiring and have families to support.

Pete Booth

Rcichon Fri May 18, 2007 11:22am

Tried B (with R1-R3) and never quite felt comfortable with it.
C feels better and I feel like I won't miss a pick off at 3rd. Especially with 14-17YO.

Whatever you do just be sure to discuss with your partner Pre-Game.

Huskerblue Fri May 18, 2007 11:36am

In the CCA Baseball Umpire's Manual, the only time U1 is in B in the two man system is with runner on 1B or runners at 1B and 3B. C for every other runner combination

JRutledge Fri May 18, 2007 12:34pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by bob jenkins
It's not a manual, but the IHSA 3-man mechanics have U1 in B with R2 (or R2 and R3) and less than two outs, but in A with R2 (or R2 and R3) and two outs.

I am fully aware of this fact. My point is what manual suggest a position gives you the option based on the number of outs? I know it is suggested in our (IHSA) mechanics which basically are a hybrid of CCA Mechanics and NF Mechanics what we can do. What we do in our state is no different than any other level or organization telling their officials to use a specific mechanics because someone feels it works. Even Dave Yeast said that what is in the CCA Mechanics book where after all suggestions and not absolutes. But I have yet to see a book specifically say where to stand based on outs.

Peace

SanDiegoSteve Fri May 18, 2007 12:53pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pete Booth
Example: let's say we have 2 outs R2 only and a powerful right hand hitter at the plate who you noticed all game long has been pulling the ball. In that case I will move to the 'opposite side" of the batter's power alley meaning I would be in position "B"

So, a very speedy runner pulls a surprise steal of third, and you are left standing on the other side of the field looking like Poindexter? When this mechanic of B with R2 was bandied about in the early 90's, I fought it with all I had. The idea was quickly scrapped due to pressure from other umpires who didn't buy into it either.

I have had some very powerful hitters hit balls in my direction, but I did not change sides of the diamond to avoid getting hit. Tony Clark used to aim at me (at least it seemed like it) because he always seemed to hit wicked shots in my direction no matter where I was standing. He nailed me on the foot when I was in C. It was the only time I've ever been hit working the bases, but he and some others gave me many close calls. I usually deal with a player's power by moving back a bit deeper on the same line.