The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Baseball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed May 09, 2007, 07:15pm
Official Forum Member

What is the proper ruling on this?

Runner on third base and batter walks on ball four. As he is trotting to first, the defensive coach begins walking to the mound and asks the PU for time. PU says, "you can't have time until the BR reaches first". Well, BR gets to first and coach is already over the chalk line and in the infield grass and BR runs right past first and heads for second. Defense lets him go to second to prevent runner on third from scoring. Coach and PU get in heated discussion about why he wasn't granted time, and in the end, PU puts BR back at first. I was wondering what your thoughts were on this. I can see why he did that if he said to the coach, "you can have time coach once he reaches first base", but he can't assume the play will end at first! Needless to say the offensive coach didn't appreciate the call.
Old Wed May 09, 2007, 07:20pm
Official Forum Member

The play is live until the umpire grants time. the play should stand.
Old Wed May 09, 2007, 09:08pm
Official Forum Member

Defense shall not benefit by ignoring PU's direction and the ball is not dead till he says so. Let the lesson begin.
Old Thu May 10, 2007, 05:51am
Official Forum Member

Smart runner; dumb coach.

Next time it happens, tell the coach "Stay right there, coach! The play isn't over until I tell you!" Now if the jerk is smart he'll wait. If not, he'll know why he is being dumped! Yes, I dump them when they pull this crap because I don't give a rat's a$$ for them!

Sorry, the medication is wearing off!
Old Thu May 10, 2007, 08:24am
BigGuy

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob jenkins
The play is live until the umpire grants time. the play should stand.
I assume when you said the play should stand you mean to say the BR should have been allowed to stay at 2B and not be sent back. The umpire would not have called time until sure the play had ended, correct? Regardless of the status of the defensive coach's being inside the chalk.
Old Thu May 10, 2007, 08:57am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigGuy
I assume when you said the play should stand you mean to say the BR should have been allowed to stay at 2B and not be sent back. The umpire would not have called time until sure the play had ended, correct? Regardless of the status of the defensive coach's being inside the chalk.
Correct. The coach is subject to some additional "penalties" (beginning with a discussion and escalting from there), but it doesn't kill the ball.
Old Thu May 10, 2007, 09:19am
Official Forum Member

I believe that I'm about 90% positive that I'd have ejected this guy for coming onto the field during a live ball. And I KNOW I'd have left the runner on 2nd ... what was the umpire's justification for putting the runner back?
Old Thu May 10, 2007, 09:36am
Stop staring at me swan.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcrowder
I believe that I'm about 90% positive that I'd have ejected this guy for coming onto the field during a live ball. And I KNOW I'd have left the runner on 2nd ... what was the umpire's justification for putting the runner back?
I'm asking that too...sounds like a pretty good move on the part of the defense...take the ejection, claim ignorance, and keep the tying run at 1st base...not a bad strategy...
Old Thu May 10, 2007, 10:06am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnyg08
I'm asking that too...sounds like a pretty good move on the part of the defense...take the ejection, claim ignorance, and keep the tying run at 1st base...not a bad strategy...
Except that the runner will get 2nd - or more if they keep going while the coach is out there distracting his pitcher.
Old Thu May 10, 2007, 10:18am
Stop staring at me swan.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcrowder
Except that the runner will get 2nd - or more if they keep going while the coach is out there distracting his pitcher.
Precisely...but if PU puts R1 back on 1st...it's wrong, but sounds as though it's been done, it then becomes a great strategy on behalf of the defensive coach...
Old Thu May 10, 2007, 11:32am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to Rcichon
Idiot Coach and Idiot Umpire.

Just say, "NO!"

When the idiot questions you, hold him up until play relaxes.

"Ok, NOW you have time coach."
Old Fri May 11, 2007, 06:15pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ozzy6900
Smart runner; dumb coach.

Next time it happens, tell the coach "Stay right there, coach! The play isn't over until I tell you!" Now if the jerk is smart he'll wait. If not, he'll know why he is being dumped! Yes, I dump them when they pull this crap because I don't give a rat's a$$ for them!

Sorry, the medication is wearing off!
Kudos to the Ozz man, I like the way you think brother.