The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Baseball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue May 08, 2007, 08:39pm
Official Forum Member

try to picture this

RH pitcher, going from the stretch. He starts with hands apart, ball in throwing hand and his feet together with his pivot foot on the rubber. After taking his sign he steps toward home slightly with non-pivot foot and brings his feet and hands together at the same time with the ball in both hands below his chin. He comes to a complete stop and then delivers. From what I described here can anyone tell me if this is a legal stretch and delivery. I think it is OK. Please do the best you can with my explanation and help me with this. Thanks.
Old Tue May 08, 2007, 08:43pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsblanton
RH pitcher, going from the stretch. He starts with hands apart, ball in throwing hand and his feet together with his pivot foot on the rubber. After taking his sign he steps toward home slightly with non-pivot foot and brings his feet and hands together at the same time with the ball in both hands below his chin. He comes to a complete stop and then delivers. From what I described here can anyone tell me if this is a legal stretch and delivery. I think it is OK. Please do the best you can with my explanation and help me with this. Thanks.
Dont have a rule to back it up, but several pitchers' in MLB use this type of motion.

Basically remember the TOP (time of pitch), that's what matters most.
PItcher can do lots of different things until he comes set.

Then any movement commits him to pitch etc.,

Thansk
David
Old Tue May 08, 2007, 10:26pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsblanton
Sounds like a perfectly normal stretch, set, stop and delivery to me. Why you ask?
Old Wed May 09, 2007, 01:58am

Excerpt from 8.01(b) The Set Position (emphasis added):

"Before assuming Set Position, the pitcher may elect to make any natural preliminary motion such as the known as "the stretch." But if he so elects, he shall come to Set Position before delivering the ball to the batter. After assuming Set Position, any natural motion associated with his delivery of the ball to the batter commits him to the pitch without alteration or interruption."

Legal.
Matthew 15:14, 1 Corinthians 1:23-25