The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Baseball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sun May 06, 2007, 10:30pm
Official Forum Member

My first ever fire delay

A new experience to share --- I was working the plate at an Adult League game today, top of the 9th, score tied 5-5 when someone shouted out, “Look at that fire!” I called “TIME” and turned to see a roaring fire in a field less than 100 yards away. I quickly yelled for the players and fans to move their cars since the flames were rapidly approaching the trees in front of where many of them were parked. By the time the fire department arrived the fire, driven by a breeze, had reached the trees and jumped into neighboring fields & trees.

Luckily the fire was moving away from the ball park so once the cars had been moved to safety I resumed the game. The home team won in the bottom of the 9th. Nothing like playing baseball to the sound of fire engines and the crackling of a fire. After the game we sat around for about 1-hour watching the fire department battle the blaze. We would have liked to go home but the fire & 8 (or more) fire engines were between us and the only road out of the ball park.