The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Baseball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Fri May 04, 2007, 05:10pm
Official Forum Member

So as I said previously if the reliever had only allowed the on base runner (charged to the starter) to score in the 7th score 4 to 2 and the the starters team comes back in the bottom of the 7th and ties it at 4 to 4. Then the reliver gives up a run in the top of the 8th now losing 5 to 4 and the starters team does not score in the bottom of eighth and game ends 5 to 4. Based on what you just said now the reliver gets the loss.

So waht you say is the rule is if the releiver gives up a 5th run in the 7th inning the starter is the loser but if the reliever gives up the same 5th run in the 8th he is the loser. If that is the official rule they someones was drunk when they wrote that one.
Old Fri May 04, 2007, 05:16pm
Official Forum Member

So as I said previously if the reliever had only allowed the on base runner (charged to the starter) to score in the 7th score 4 to 2 and the the starters team comes back in the bottom of the 7th and ties it at 4 to 4. Then the reliver gives up a run in the top of the 8th now losing 5 to 4 and the starters team does not score in the bottom of eighth and game ends 5 to 4. Based on what you just said now the reliver gets the loss.

So waht you say is the rule is if the releiver gives up a 5th run in the 7th inning the starter is the loser but if the reliever gives up the same 5th run in the 8th he is the loser. If that is the official rule they someones was drunk when they wrote that one.
Old Fri May 04, 2007, 05:17pm
Official Forum Member

So waht you say is the rule is if the releiver gives up a 5th run in the 7th inning the starter is the loser but if the reliever gives up the same 5th run in the 8th he is the loser. If that is the official rule then someones was drunk when they wrote that one.
Old Fri May 04, 2007, 05:21pm
Official Forum Member

Simply put: The pitcher that gives up the lead, even if it's tied, gets either the win or loss. End of story.

Wanna complecate things more? Home team up 9-0, top of the 7th. Starter has pitched a beautiful 6 innings. Reliever comes in, gives up 9 runs to make it 9-9. Bottom of the 7th, leadoff batter hits a walk off homer. Guess who gets the win? THE RELIEVER!!!
Old Fri May 04, 2007, 05:38pm
Official Forum Member

winning pitcher

That makes sense in th 9-9 scenario, the releiver was the pitcher when the winning run was scored so he should get the win . In the case I origanlly described the pitcher of record when the opponents 5th run scored (charged to the releiver) in a 5 to 4 loss was the releiver so likewise the releiver should get the loss.

Gets the win if the winning run occurs while he's the pitcher and gets the loss if the winning earned run is scored against him while he is pitching.

What is missing?
Old Fri May 04, 2007, 06:03pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sixlehs

What is missing?
Your understanding of the rules, apparently. No system is "fair" to all pitchers under all circumstances. So, the stat-heads picked one and went with it. Don't like it? I'm sure the rules committees would like to hear from you.
Old Fri May 04, 2007, 06:05pm
Archaic Power Monger

Quote:
. In the case I origanlly described the pitcher of record when the opponents 5th run scored (charged to the releiver) in a 5 to 4 loss was the releiver so likewise the releiver should get the loss.
Look at it this way. The starting pitcher gave up the lead and his team never tied it up or took the lead. Since it was the starting pitcher's fault he gave up the lead, its his loss.

That said, we didn't write the rules and we don't even enforce this one!
Old Fri May 04, 2007, 06:29pm
Official Forum Member

winning pitcher

Already sent a note off to the FED rules committee, plain and simple accorfing to this "RULE" in the scenario I outlined if the releiver gives up the 5th run in the 7th inning the starter gets the loss but if the releiver would give up the 5th run in the 8th inning he gets the loss. So you have a rulle that fluctuates based on what inning it is, not asking you guys to do anything about I just wanted someone to confirm the rule so I could without question know how moronic that rule is.
Old Fri May 04, 2007, 07:05pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Already sent a note off to the FED rules committee, plain and simple accorfing to this "RULE" in the scenario I outlined if the releiver gives up the 5th run in the 7th inning the starter gets the loss but if the releiver would give up the 5th run in the 8th inning he gets the loss. So you have a rulle that fluctuates based on what inning it is, not asking you guys to do anything about I just wanted someone to confirm the rule so I could without question know how moronic that rule is.
Six, it's really not based on the inning - it's based on who's on the rubber (either on the field or on the line-up) when the other team goes ahead or ties up the game.

Part of the reason is just the nature of the game of baseball. If the starting pitcher hadn't let the other team get ahead 3-2, the manager probably wouldn't have replaced him. As many have pointed out (ad nauseum, in the case of the CLE-BAL "appeal play"), the dynamics of how a team plays a game are very much changed by different scores. When his team is behind, the manager may be more aggressive in some situations and less aggressive in others.

Yes, the rule may be unfair on occasion, but it's how baseball works. (I'm sure some of the more experienced baseball guys could tell you when that rule came into effect - I'd be willing to bet it's been in the book for a while.) That said, good luck trying to change it; you're going to run into a lot of headwind.
Old Fri May 04, 2007, 08:27pm
Official Forum Member

Cool Records

Quote:
Did you volunteer to go back over the history of FED baseball and rewrite the pitchers' records?

-LilLeaguer
Old Fri May 04, 2007, 08:28pm
Official Forum Member

Unhappy Related

Quote:
Originally Posted by LMan
I think you are talking to the starting pitcher here
Or his Dad.

-LilLeaguer
Old Fri May 04, 2007, 09:08pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via Yahoo to waltjp
Quote:
Originally Posted by LMan
I think you are talking to the starting pitcher here
Or his father.
Old Fri May 04, 2007, 09:49pm
Official Forum Member

Sixlehs

I'd suggest giving Bud Selig a call and getting him to change this rule as well.

Your thread gave me a great laugh. I'd suggest you give it a break though, because it's not worth the trouble to try and change a baseball statistics tradition that has been in existence for over 150 years. However if you have any other questions on scoring, or statistics you think are misleading, feel free to post them here.
Old Fri May 04, 2007, 10:36pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:

I'm sure the FED guys will jump right on that
Old Sat May 05, 2007, 12:24am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to RPatrino Send a message via Yahoo to RPatrino
My previous question stands. What is the relevance of this?

-----------------------
We are stewards of baseball. Our customers aren't schools or coaches or conferences. Our customer is the game itself.