The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Baseball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Thu May 03, 2007, 09:58pm
Official Forum Member

First Game Coming Up

I just got a call from my assignor asking me to do a game this coming Sunday afternoon in a neighbouring city as they were short on umpires. It's going to be an adult recreational game, but the players still take it seriously and can get really mad. Canadaump6 is going to be umpiring adult baseball.

I tried doing an adult rec game a couple years ago when I was 17 and that didn't go over too well. I felt out of place and didn't have my best game. I called a guy out for being hit by a batted ball at second base, and it turned out he was never hit by it. They were already mad at my plate partner, and then they started screaming at me, and I was too chicken to throw anyone out.

Sunday's adult league game is going to be my first game of the season. I'm on the bases again, and it's with the same partner. Fortunately this is a different league than the one in which I had my other problems in. Does anyone know how I can not be nervous this time around?
Old Thu May 03, 2007, 11:09pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via Yahoo to UmpJM
Cool

canadaump6,

Just slam 4 or 5 7 & 7's in the parking lot right before you walk on the field. Gaurantee you won't be nervous.

JM
Old Thu May 03, 2007, 11:30pm
Official Forum Member

Don't you think we should stick to that as a post-game ritual? Afterall, an umpire in my league did a game while high on marijuana, and he had some problems with the coaches in that game.
Old Thu May 03, 2007, 11:41pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via Yahoo to UmpJM
Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by canadaump6
Don't you think we should stick to that as a post-game ritual? Afterall, an umpire in my league did a game while high on marijuana, and he had some problems with the coaches in that game.
canadaump6,

C'mon man, give it up already! That sounds like it could be a really good story! You've got to tell us about it.

In regard to my earlier post, that was kind of what we here in the States refer to as a "joke". There may have been some embedded sarcasm.

My point, elliptical though it may have been, is that it's fine to be nervous before a game. You should be worried if you're not. Leave it in the parking lot and go do the best job you're capable of and have fun. If you make a mistake (EVERYBODY makes mistakes), learn from it and try not to make the same mistake again.

Finally, be courteous, impartial and firm, and so compel respect from all.

JM
Old Fri May 04, 2007, 06:51am
Official Forum Member

Nervous is not necessarily a bad thing. The only advice I would have is to slow everything down except your positioning. Pause, read and react, make the calls a little slower.

And I can't believe this is your first game of the year. Our HS district and regional tournaments are starting this week and I am on game # 36 this weekend. Thank god for the South!
Old Fri May 04, 2007, 10:36am
BigGuy

Quote:
I just got a call from my assignor asking me to do a game this coming Sunday afternoon in a neighbouring city as they were short on umpires. It's going to be an adult recreational game, but the players still take it seriously and can get really mad. Canadaump6 is going to be umpiring adult baseball.

I tried doing an adult rec game a couple years ago when I was 17 and that didn't go over too well. I felt out of place and didn't have my best game. I called a guy out for being hit by a batted ball at second base, and it turned out he was never hit by it. They were already mad at my plate partner, and then they started screaming at me, and I was too chicken to throw anyone out.

Sunday's adult league game is going to be my first game of the season. I'm on the bases again, and it's with the same partner. Fortunately this is a different league than the one in which I had my other problems in. Does anyone know how I can not be nervous this time around?
I agree with the others and would like to add a couple of small items. First, if you act like you are in control, you will be in control. That will alleviate the nervousness. The second thing is - make sure your calls are loud and clear. There is nothing worse than a wimpy umpire who is so quiet the catcher can't hear him call a strike, or worse yet, looks like they are lost. Don't be shy, talk as if you ARE running the show, because that is what you're doing.
Old Fri May 04, 2007, 10:47am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoachJM
Finally, be courteous, impartial and firm, and so compel respect from all.

JM
Whoever penned that line never worked a beer league
Old Fri May 04, 2007, 10:49am
Official Forum Member

Quote:

Try not to wet you panties this time!
Old Fri May 04, 2007, 12:03pm
Official Forum Member

It's May 4 and this is just now your first game?? I've worked 43 and HS is in state playoffs. Thank God I don't live in Canada!!!!

Jerry
Old Fri May 04, 2007, 12:27pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mississippiump
Thank God I don't live in Canada!!!!

Jerry
I think that's the official motto of Blaine, Washington.
Old Fri May 04, 2007, 12:33pm
Official Forum Member

Garth,

I think that may be the motto for the entire USA!!!!!!

Congrats on your son by the way! I hope he's successful.

Jerry
Old Fri May 04, 2007, 03:00pm
Official Forum Member

Thanks for the help guys. I'll let you know how it goes. It is pretty frustrating that baseball season here only lasts 4 months. Still glad to see the season upon me though.
Old Fri May 04, 2007, 03:21pm
Official Forum Member

Canadaump,

In all seriousness, I was given some great advice by my assignor when we were talking about appearance. He said to make sure you look VERY sharp and professional when you umpire. If you do that, it'll be at least the 5th or
6th inning before they realize you're not any good!!!! And by that time, it's just about too late!!!

Jerry
Old Sun May 06, 2007, 05:26pm
Official Forum Member

I just did my first game. Things went okay, although one team ended up not happy with calls on the bases (this must be a very familiar situation to all umpires).

I let the pitcher go to his mouth with his hand, and decided not to say anything about it because he was on the edge of the dirt circle, basically almost off of it. This raises the question of a philosophy of umpiring; should you call things strictly by the book, or call things more in the spirit of the game? I am more in favour of going right by the rulebook, but I let it go today.

Also, how do you guys feel about only calling that if someone on the other team complains about it? I don't agree with this, as it results in the other team calling the game for you.
Old Sun May 06, 2007, 06:03pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
This raises the question of a philosophy of umpiring; should you call things strictly by the book, or call things more in the spirit of the game?
When this discussion was broached some months ago, the "strictly by-the-book" posters were the more prevelant and strident of the two sides from my own personal recollection.

I also believe that veracity and vitriol of their opinions fell under the categories of "thou doth protest too much" and "joining the popular crowd".

I may be mistaken, YMMV.

Arnie

You can't fix stupid - Ron White