The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Baseball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Fri Apr 27, 2007, 04:25pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnyg08
It's a bargain if you have $3,500 as a 19 yr old kid...not many kids have that amt of cash...please understand, I'm not ripping ump school at all...but where I come from, no matter how you look at it...paying $3,500+ for 5 weeks of school, plus whatever anybody makes as income for 5 weeks makes for an expensive school...whether the person working doesn't work and takes an unpaid leave from his/her job or takes 5 weeks paid vacation w/ no vacation left the entire year...All I'm saying is the tuition is probably the least expensive part of umpire school...
True. But, as Jim Evans says, those who sacrifice the most to chase their dream usually do the best.

Matt lost his car in an accident and chose to use some of the insurance money to go to proschool instead of buying another car. He learned how to get around on a bicycle and public transportation whether it was to school, work or games.

He saved enough to attend the Florida Classic prior to the five week so he could brush up a bit.

He moved out of his rental in Tacoma and we stored his stuff so he wouldn't have needless expenses while at school.

All he was promised was that his mom and I would buy him an Academy class ring if he was an honor grad and a new professional equipment bag/case if he got a contract.

The ring arrived today. I'm ordering the bag Monday.

I guess what I'm saying is that if it is truly that important to you, you'll find a way.

Good luck. I hope you do well.
Old Fri Apr 27, 2007, 04:34pm
Stop staring at me swan.

I agree that there's always a way...just depends on if you want it or not.
Old Fri Apr 27, 2007, 06:52pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to johnSandlin Send a message via Yahoo to johnSandlin
We had a young man in my area attend Jim's school this year and was hired. He has to head out east in late May or early June.
Old Fri Apr 27, 2007, 07:41pm
Official Forum Member

this is great news, garth. congratulations to your son, and to you
Old Fri Apr 27, 2007, 09:47pm
Official Forum Member

Again,

I apologize for entering this thread.

I have known Matt for seven years. I have attended two clinics with, been on a private list serve with him and have watched him grow.

From now on when I hear a whiney umpire talk about how the schools try to get you to go a second time I will laugh and nod knowingly.

You know how you make it in one trip?

When you go to a clinic and are standing in line waiting for your rep you know what you should be doing. PRACTICE.

Practice anything!

I watched Matt just stand in lines and practice his "out" call.

I watched him practicing the steps we were gong to be asked to do.

When you go to five week school and your sitting in one of the dorm rooms drinking beer -- you know what you should be doing?

The guys that make it are the guys outside under the street lights practicing pivots, steps, cross over, opening the gates.

They ain't drinking beer and bull$hitting.

I knew Matt would make it because, even at his young age (and horribly young LOOK) he made IT the priority of his life. He didn't talk about it -- he DID IT.

Matt attended a couple of professional weekend camps (one a three day Evans) as Garth said he went to the week long Evans camp and then went to school.

At school he was a no nonsense attendee.

I doubt if I will ever listen to the whiners again.

Regards,
Old Fri Apr 27, 2007, 10:20pm
Stop staring at me swan.

Tim, I couldn't agree more, I put the feelers out there with that posting...I wasn't implying anything. I haven't been to umpire school, nor have I ever claimed such. For the most part, in pro ball, the guys that get selected are good. period. at least in baseball, it doesn't appear to be as much of a good ol' boy network at the top as it appears to be in other sports NBA, NCAA basketball/football, and the NFL. I realize it's not that way for every guy...but I bet many of us know people who are/were good enough to make it and didn't for whatever reason...that's all I'm saying...as a former public educator in our nation's school system, I will never, ever chase a person away from chasing his/her dream.
Old Sat Apr 28, 2007, 03:34pm
Official Forum Member

Garth,

I wish I could be back in Spokane to personally congratulate both you and Matt.

Dave York
Old Sat Apr 28, 2007, 04:12pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnyg08
That is good that they don't encourage people to come back...that could become a business ethics situation. But I say...huge props to anybody who goes...I've heard it's live changing. (assuming you love baseball and umpiring)
I know a couple of guys who went to Wendelstadt's. One of them went again two years later, the other one said he wanted to go again but ended up not doing it. Both of them claimed they had been told they just missed the cut and were encouraged to come back to try again. One of them, the one who did go back a second time, I could believe he was close to making it. The other, not in a bazillion years.

I draw no conclusion and make no generalization, but the above is true and accurate.
Old Sat Apr 28, 2007, 06:56pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpokaneBlue
Garth,

I wish I could be back in Spokane to personally congratulate both you and Matt.

Dave York
Thank you, Sergeant. When is your tour up?

Last edited by GarthB; Sat Apr 28, 2007 at 06:58pm.
Old Sat Apr 28, 2007, 08:41pm
Official Forum Member

My congratulations to Matthew. At least one Benham will have sharp mechaincs.

I hear also Adam is graduating down in Manhattan. If you're coming back for that what are the chances you'll get to Rochester?

Let me know. First couple are on me.
Old Sat Apr 28, 2007, 10:13pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GarthB
SocalBlue1:

I would really appreciate it if you would quote properly and not make it look like I said those things about Harry's. If you can't, please edit your post to take my name out of it.

I have nothing negative to say about Harry's school and in fact, Hunter has agreed to help me with a project 'Im working on.
Garth,

Nothing negative intended at all. Simply an observation that class quality is not always even between the schools.

Best of luck to your son!

Last edited by socalblue1; Sat Apr 28, 2007 at 10:21pm.
Old Sat Apr 28, 2007, 10:22pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris_Hickman
Hey Garth, Are u gettin' ur boy the Honigs bag or the Victorinox bag the PCL guys use? I have the Victorinox bag and it is very nice.
Chris,

Any clue where to get one these days? A close friend just made to AAA (IL) and can't fine one (His finally died).
Old Sun Apr 29, 2007, 01:16am

Is this the one you're looking for?

http://www.ebags.com/products/index....eid=NXTAG00001
Matthew 15:14, 1 Corinthians 1:23-25
Old Sun Apr 29, 2007, 08:38am
Official Forum Member

Garth,

Looks like I won't be back until June 09.

DY
Old Sun Apr 29, 2007, 10:55am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpokaneBlue
Garth,

Looks like I won't be back until June 09.

DY
Too bad...we could use you, Dave.

But look at the bright side...by then you'll be an E9, retire with a good income, and get rehired by the Air Force as a civiliain doing the same job for twice the money.