The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Baseball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Thu Apr 26, 2007, 09:24am
Official Forum Member

This thread reminds me of a minor situation with a catcher with whom today I have an outstanding relationship (uh, baseball-wise, that is ). In the summer of 2005 he was playing on a summer college team, in one of those summer wooden bat collegiate leagues. The first game of the 2005 summer season for this team saw me working the dish behind this young man (who is now a Junior in college and that school's starting catcher). Very early he didn't like a pitch I called a ball and he held his mitt out there too long and turned his head to look back at me in disagreement. I calmly told him that that wouldn't be tolerated, and the next time would see him involuntarily leave the game early.

After the inning was over, I heard his manager rip into him in the dugout, telling him, "You don't ever pull that kind of crap with this umpire. Randy doesn't put up with sh!t like that. You're lucky he didn't run your @ss." I had to smile and laugh a little under my mask.

He never did it again, and as I stated above, we have an excellent on-field relationship. In fact, he works very well with me out there and it's a pleasure to call a game when he's catching. Also, from a strictly objective baseball observer's point of view, he has turned into a hell of a ball player. He can crush the ball and has one of the nicest swings I've seen. Good kid.

I may be an umpire, but I have to admit that I really do enjoy seeing good players out there. It's one of this job's best benefits, if you ask me.
Old Thu Apr 26, 2007, 10:57am
Official Forum Member

Catcher at bat

First year FED guy so feel free to slam me if you think I approached this wrong. Top of the second, starting catcher at bat - ball just above the knees called strike three. Catcher grumbles and kicks dirt as he walks away. No real show but he thought that the pitch was low and expressed it. Bottom of second - catcher behind plate, LH batter first pitch just off or at the edge of the plate but close enough at this level (JV). Ball one. Catcher turns around and says coach got me when I got to dugout and I understand and you won't here anything else out of me. Rest of the game went well and I think he had a better understanding of our relationship behind the plate.
Old Thu Apr 26, 2007, 10:39pm
Official Forum Member

I call borderline pitches strikes, so I don't get much crap from the catcher.

My best line, used years ago, "coach, have you got another catcher?" After he responds yes I return with "good, you are getting ready to need him."

If the coach hollers out to the catcher "where was that pitch" I will often say "outside" (or whatever) just loud enough for only the catcher to hear and 99% of the time he will get the message and respond accordingly. Catcher's are not dumb.
Old Thu Apr 26, 2007, 10:45pm
Official Forum Member

Not a word on balls and strikes for 5 innings. After ejecting head coach for arguing a batters interference for third out, assistant coach takes over. With a runner stealing, pitch in the letters as catcher attempts a throw without success. Assistant asks his catcher where the pitch is, he says right there.
I replied to catcher, keep that up and you can join your coach. Finished the game quietly.
Old Thu Apr 26, 2007, 10:57pm
Official Forum Member

Preventive maintenance

Good suggestions but all are after the fact. I've done this several times and found great results. Before the each half of the first inning I make a point to engage in cordial hellos with the catcher. Nothing special, just how you doing this afternnoon type stuff. I tell the catchers, that we are a team behind the plate and we have to work together. I tell them to help me out. They don't like their coach yelling either so we both benefit by keeping the coach off my back. If there are any situations where he or the coach feels I may have made an incorrect ball/stirike call, just keep the game moving and singal the coach where I called the pitch. If I call outside, tell the coach it was outside. All of the catchers I've done this with have helped and the game has run much smoother. Of course I'm sure I'll run into one of those "superstars" that won't want to play along and then I'll have to use one of the previously recommended tactics.
Old Fri Apr 27, 2007, 07:50am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via Yahoo to waltjp
Quote:
Originally Posted by GarthB
"Son, we're like family back here. You and I are the only ones dumb enough to wear the tools of ignorance and stand here and let people throw baseballs at us. Like family, we keep our disagreements between us. If you feel the need to take our disagreements outside the family, there's likely to be a divorce and one of us will have to leave. Do you understand what I'm suggesting?"
Don't ever take sides with anyone against the Family again. Ever.
Old Fri Apr 27, 2007, 08:16am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by WayneG
If there are any situations where he or the coach feels I may have made an incorrect ball/stirike call, just keep the game moving and singal the coach where I called the pitch. If I call outside, tell the coach it was outside.
You call pitches "outside", "low", etc?

Just say BALL.
Old Fri Apr 27, 2007, 09:55am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by waltjp
Don't ever take sides with anyone against the Family again. Ever.
Thanks a lot. I read this while sipping my coffee. Some of it that came out of my nose landed on my khakis. Now I'll have to explain the stain just to the side of my fly for the rest of the day.

But you did give me an idea. From now on, I'm going to call any catcher doing this, Fredo.
Old Fri Apr 27, 2007, 10:09am
Official Forum Member

As long as they don't wake up next to a horse head All will be right in the world.

"It isn't enough for an umpire merely to know what he's doing. He has to look as though he know what he's doing too." - National League Umpire Larry Goetz

"Boys, I'm one of those umpires that misses 'em every once in a while so if it's close, you'd better hit it."
Old Fri Apr 27, 2007, 10:26am
BigGuy

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3appleshigh
As long as they don't wake up next to a horse head All will be right in the world.
On the lighter side and speaking of horse heads - in the movie that was a REAL horse head. They arranged to get it from some slaughterhouse in the local area.
Old Fri Apr 27, 2007, 11:53am
Official Forum Member

Yummy!!!!!!!!!

"It isn't enough for an umpire merely to know what he's doing. He has to look as though he know what he's doing too." - National League Umpire Larry Goetz

"Boys, I'm one of those umpires that misses 'em every once in a while so if it's close, you'd better hit it."
Old Fri Apr 27, 2007, 12:15pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via Yahoo to waltjp
Quote:
Originally Posted by GarthB
Thanks a lot. I read this while sipping my coffee. Some of it that came out of my nose landed on my khakis. Now I'll have to explain the stain just to the side of my fly for the rest of the day.

But you did give me an idea. From now on, I'm going to call any catcher doing this, Fredo.
Sorry about the pants. I'll try to give fair warning next time.