The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Baseball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Thu Apr 12, 2007, 11:22pm
Official Forum Member

It's a hypothetical rules question, because I don't allow coaches to sit in front of the dugout on buckets.
Old Fri Apr 13, 2007, 10:28am
BigGuy

Quote:
Originally Posted by DG
JM

1-3-7 provides for umpire to use judgement.

Now let's say the runner rounded 3B, did not appear to have any intention
of going home on the overthrow, the ball bounces off the bucket. Unless hitting the bucket prevented the ball from entering DBT, I have nothing. I don't see an "automatic" on this in OBR or FED.
The bucket does not have to prevent the ball from going in DBT - the question is what might have happened if the bucket wasn't there. If not hitting the bucket could have allowed the runner to advence as opposed to the ball bouncing off the bucket towards HP giving the defense an advantage, then you can award HP. For example, if the ball doesn't hit the bucket, maybe it rolls to the fence where a fielder has to run 40 feet further away from HP as opposed to the ball bouncing off the bucket 20 feet closer to HP. It's still a judgment as to whether the bucket had any effect.

The closest thing I can find to it is the CB 1-3-7 Situation B. Not exact, but close enough to give you the idea.
Old Sat Apr 14, 2007, 08:24pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigGuy
The bucket does not have to prevent the ball from going in DBT - the question is what might have happened if the bucket wasn't there. If not hitting the bucket could have allowed the runner to advence as opposed to the ball bouncing off the bucket towards HP giving the defense an advantage, then you can award HP. For example, if the ball doesn't hit the bucket, maybe it rolls to the fence where a fielder has to run 40 feet further away from HP as opposed to the ball bouncing off the bucket 20 feet closer to HP. It's still a judgment as to whether the bucket had any effect.

The closest thing I can find to it is the CB 1-3-7 Situation B. Not exact, but close enough to give you the idea.
Like I said, judgement. That means there is no automatic award as was previously suggested. Keep them in the dugout and you don't have this issue.