The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Baseball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed Apr 11, 2007, 11:07am
Official Forum Member

Hate working teams like this?

Do any of you guys have teams that you hate to work because they usually destroy their competition?

Yesterday I was assigned to work a team that I had a couple of weeks ago in a 29-4 game. The team they were playing was a good team with a winning record but after 2 it was 15-0. Luckily the winning coach starting pulling his starters after the second inning and stopped running his players so we were able to complete 7-innings in only 2:20 with a score of 19-3. I dread games like this. The winning teams F1 couldn’t throw a ball (lots of wicked strikes) and the other F1’s could hardly throw a strike and if they did it was hit.

While I’m venting, my partner, who is new to our association but suppose to be a hot shot umpire from up north, showed up about 5-minutes before the start of the game (he got lost). He had forgotten to put his uniform in his car so he was in his work clothes but did have a black cap and an indicator. He apologized and told me that while this was only his 2nd game with our association he was a good umpire, even cocky. Great, not only do I have a mismatched game I also have a ‘cocky’ partner. His umpiring skills were “unique”. He went out on all fly balls from the B/C position, even after I told him not to. He ignored my signals and verbal communication and was running all over the place, even helping me make my calls. I had to look at him before making a call to see if he was signaling something He would go to one knee to avoid a throw rather than get into the correct position. He made his calls no later than the exact moment that the ball reached the play. The F6 had to ask him to move because he was blocking his view when he was in the "C" position (he would stand closer to 3B). The list goes on and on. I figure that he has photos of our assignor cheating on his wife, that’s the only explanation for him getting any assignments.

Okay thanks, I feel better now.
Old Wed Apr 11, 2007, 11:23am
Official Forum Member

What level and rule set?
Do you have the 15 runs difference after 3 innings and 10 runs difference after 5 innings rule?
Talk to your assignor about you not working games with your poorly dressed and seemingly unprepaired "cocky" and "unique" umpire partner.
From your description he sounds like a "knucklehead".
Old Wed Apr 11, 2007, 11:27am
Official Forum Member

[QUOTE]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Justme
Do any of you guys have teams that you hate to work because they usually destroy their competition?

Yesterday I was assigned to work a team that I had a couple of weeks ago in a 29-4 game. The team they were playing was a good team with a winning record but after 2 it was 15-0. Luckily the winning coach starting pulling his starters after the second inning and stopped running his players so we were able to complete 7-innings in only 2:20 with a score of 19-3. I dread games like this. The winning teams F1 couldn’t throw a ball (lots of wicked strikes) and the other F1’s could hardly throw a strike and if they did it was hit.
The Mercy Rule should be adopted

Quote:
He had forgotten to put his uniform in his car so he was in his work clothes but did have a black cap and an indicator. He apologized and told me that while this was only his 2nd game with our association he was a good umpire, even cocky.
In my HS association you MUST be properly dressed. If the umpire in question showed up as you indicated, he would not work with me.

Pete Booth
Old Wed Apr 11, 2007, 12:15pm

Quote:
While I’m venting, my partner, who is new to our association but suppose to be a hot shot umpire from up north, showed up about 5-minutes before the start of the game (he got lost). He had forgotten to put his uniform in his car so he was in his work clothes but did have a black cap and an indicator. He apologized and told me that while this was only his 2nd game with our association he was a good umpire, even cocky. Great, not only do I have a mismatched game I also have a ‘cocky’ partner. His umpiring skills were “unique”. He went out on all fly balls from the B/C position, even after I told him not to. He ignored my signals and verbal communication and was running all over the place, even helping me make my calls. I had to look at him before making a call to see if he was signaling something He would go to one knee to avoid a throw rather than get into the correct position. He made his calls no later than the exact moment that the ball reached the play. The F6 had to ask him to move because he was blocking his view when he was in the "C" position (he would stand closer to 3B). The list goes on and on. I figure that he has photos of our assignor cheating on his wife, that’s the only explanation for him getting any assignments.
It sounds like this "Yankee" from up north's experience was limited to some low-level Little League. That kneeling to avoid the throw reminds me of the adult "helpers" (more like "hindrances") that leagues would foist upon me to work the bases. Whenever possible, I would tell the league, "no, thanks, I would rather work alone."

I wouldn't have allowed a so-called "real" umpire on the field with me without his uniform. One badly dressed umpire, and all people will remember is that the umpires looked like sh*t.
Matthew 15:14, 1 Corinthians 1:23-25
Old Wed Apr 11, 2007, 02:52pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by U of M Sam
What level and rule set?
Do you have the 15 runs difference after 3 innings and 10 runs difference after 5 innings rule?
Talk to your assignor about you not working games with your poorly dressed and seemingly unprepaired "cocky" and "unique" umpire partner.
HS varsity (FED rules).....no mercy rule. There are 3 or 4 teams that we all love to work when they play each other but it's usually not a lot of fun when they are playing the other teams.

I was hoping that my partner was as good as he said he was even though he didn't look the part. Before the game started one of the F2's asked me if I got my partner off the street?

I spoke with my assignor as I was driving home from the game.
Old Wed Apr 11, 2007, 02:59pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SanDiegoSteve
I wouldn't have allowed a so-called "real" umpire on the field with me without his uniform. One badly dressed umpire, and all people will remember is that the umpires looked like sh*t.
I guess I was so shocked by this guy that I didn't know what to do, so I let him work.

You're right about how one poorly dressed umpire can make his partner(s) look bad. Even my 'late-in-life' 14-yo son who just recently began umpiring Pony/Babe Ruth ball never leaves home for a game unless he looks the part 100%.
Old Wed Apr 11, 2007, 03:29pm
Get away from me, Steve.

[QUOTE=PeteBooth]
Quote:

The Mercy Rule should be adopted

In my HS association you MUST be properly dressed. If the umpire in question showed up as you indicated, he would not work with me.

Pete Booth
Too bad you'd have to miss the game, then
Old Wed Apr 11, 2007, 03:38pm
BigGuy

Quote:
I guess I was so shocked by this guy that I didn't know what to do, so I let him work.

You're right about how one poorly dressed umpire can make his partner(s) look bad. Even my 'late-in-life' 14-yo son who just recently began umpiring Pony/Babe Ruth ball never leaves home for a game unless he looks the part 100%.
I'd call the assignor and have him sent home. There is NO excuse for not showing up in proper attire
Old Wed Apr 11, 2007, 03:46pm
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigGuy
I'd call the assignor and have him sent home. There is NO excuse for not showing up in proper attire
Too many people worry about things other than themselves.

I'd be happy to have a partner, myself. Stuff happens.
Old Wed Apr 11, 2007, 04:45pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich Fronheiser

I would rather work alone, personally. I don't need a partner that badly. Especially one without a uniform and can't umpire to boot.

Rich, are you saying that this clown without his uniform (how do you forget your damn uniform) wouldn't make both umpires look unprofessional? You could be the sharpest dressed umpire ever, and nobody will even remember anything besides how bad the umpires looked.
Old Wed Apr 11, 2007, 05:24pm
BigGuy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich Fronheiser

Stuff happens, eh? Doesn't say much for you then if you'd work with a jerk like this. Not only would I send this guy home, but I would report him to the state association. If you're so willing to lower your standards, it's not what you'd call a good reflection on you as a professional.

I'll work a whole season alone rather than have a partner who doesn't have enough self-respect to show up in uniform. If that makes me an SOB, so be it. If you don't look like an umpire, nobody will think you are one.
Old Thu Apr 12, 2007, 02:20am

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steven Tyler
What method would you use to make him go home assuming he didn't want to?
Physical restraint, if necessary. He is not working on my ball field. I could see it if he was called to come fill in, and didn't have his uniform. That would be a different story. I've filled in for no-show umpires while I had no uniform or gear with me. But to "forget" to bring your uniform? Never happened to me in well over 3,000 games.

I would tell him to go trot on back home, get his uniform, get dressed, then come back and work whatever is left of the game for free.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steven Tyler
Someone has to call strikes and balls, be dressed and still look the part. They're still going to ride you. Fans and coaches could not care less about what the umpire knows and what is actually required of the job.
Yes, that someone is the plate umpire, who, if push came to shove, should be able to man-up long enough to work a solo job if need be. Perhaps fans could care less, but most good coaches know incompetence when they see it, and have a pretty good idea of what the job of umpiring entails. At least the successful coaches, that is.

Last edited by SanDiegoSteve; Thu Apr 12, 2007 at 02:23am.
Old Thu Apr 12, 2007, 02:28am
I drank what?

Send a message via MSN to w_sohl
Quote:
Originally Posted by U of M Sam
What level and rule set?
Careful throwing that Knucklehead name around, us die hard Boilermakers are known as Knuckleheads.
Old Thu Apr 12, 2007, 07:56am
Official Forum Member

Well, I'm not in the business of 'physically restraining' other umpires. If he's there and insists on working, he's going to want to be paid, and that's not under my control.

Call the assignor when done. You know the coaches are going to call the assignor about him, anyway.
Old Thu Apr 12, 2007, 08:42am
BigGuy

Quote:
Originally Posted by SanDiegoSteve
Physical restraint, if necessary. He is not working on my ball field. I could see it if he was called to come fill in, and didn't have his uniform. That would be a different story. I've filled in for no-show umpires while I had no uniform or gear with me. But to "forget" to bring your uniform? Never happened to me in well over 3,000 games.

I would tell him to go trot on back home, get his uniform, get dressed, then come back and work whatever is left of the game for free.

Yes, that someone is the plate umpire, who, if push came to shove, should be able to man-up long enough to work a solo job if need be. Perhaps fans could care less, but most good coaches know incompetence when they see it, and have a pretty good idea of what the job of umpiring entails. At least the successful coaches, that is.
I agree with the above - in addition in order to umpire a game, it's mandatory to be in uniform and I can understand the fill-in. However, for a pre-scheduled assignment, an umpire is not present unless properly in uniform. In Illinois, if you're not wearing the IHSA patch some coaches would turn you in for uniform violation and they would be correct. Part of being an umpire is looking like one and that means being in the proper attire.
Closed Thread