The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Baseball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sat Apr 07, 2007, 02:16am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to nickrego
Quote:
Originally Posted by tribefan1952
Hmm.. JRutledge makes a good point, but I suspect if the other game had been varsity, he wouldn't have raised a stink. It sounds like JV is beneath him. I was just wondering if you guys get stuck with only one ump very often, especially at the varsity/JV levels. Around here, it happens for Jr High games and occasionally for freshman games, but not varsity, unless there's a last-minute emergency. Even then, a replacement would be called in pretty quickly. Since this league had adopted an accepted procedure for splitting the umps to cover both games, it must not be that uncommon. Maybe they need to find a way to recruit more umps. (Maybe a pay raise?) It's not right to have only one ump at that level. It's not fair to the umps and it's not fair to the players.
Very rare that we have to work a Varsity game alone. If we do, we get an extra $20 ($78) for the game.

Only one umpire is assigned to JV games. Umpire is paid $7 ($65) more than a Varsity (2 man game $58) game.

Our association does not cover games below JV, due to a lack of umpires.

Nick

Last edited by nickrego; Sat Apr 07, 2007 at 02:19am.
Old Sat Apr 07, 2007, 02:46am

I think the guy definitely has a bad attitude, since it is the association policy for him to be ready to work a JV game. He should have his gear, and if the policy is for the base umpire to go work the JV game, then so be it. If Nick would have been on the bases, it would have been his duty to step down to the JV level.

Out here, we have no such asinine policy. If there is no umpire for the JV game, that's tough caca. The folks here want 2 umpires on their Varsity games, and they would just either cancel the JV game, or play it as a scrimmage with the catchers calling balls/strikes/fair/foul, and the base coaches calling the plays on the bases.
Matthew 15:14, 1 Corinthians 1:23-25
Old Sat Apr 07, 2007, 09:25am
Get away from me, Steve.

Thank goodness my state had the wisdom to require two umpires at every game at every level. This would never happen here.

But I've lived in places where we would work solo and I can say this situaion wouldn't happen there, either. We'd pull umpires from lower level games to cover varsity, but not JV/Freshman. Let's face it, JV/Freshman are developmental levels and the varsity game should not suffer for a lower level game.
Old Sat Apr 07, 2007, 11:56am
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by nickrego
He was assigned the bases, because we talked the day before and agreed that he would do the bases. It is customary in our association, that we alternate positions. The previous game we had worked, he had the plate, so it was my turn to do the dish.

He does not have the right to say no. It is specifically written in our employment/contractor agreement that in this type of situation, we will split, and the base umpire will take the JV game.
I think that is a dumb policy. And to say he has no choice is also not being realistic. He might have to suffer consequences, but no one "has to do" anything. And in my area the JV game would just be cancelled if the umpire wanted to work the varsity game. As a matter of fact I do not know of a situation this has ever been requested. The varsity game is what is important and needs to be played because of all the ramifications associated with it. There are no JV playoffs and these can be played almost anytime. Also most conferences do not play for a conference title either for JV and lower level games. That would just be tough titty for the JV game around here.

Peace
Old Sat Apr 07, 2007, 12:04pm
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRutledge
I think that is a dumb policy. And to say he has no choice is also not being realistic. He might have to suffer consequences, but no one "has to do" anything. And in my area the JV game would just be cancelled if the umpire wanted to work the varsity game. As a matter of fact I do not know of a situation this has ever been requested. The varsity game is what is important and needs to be played because of all the ramifications associated with it. There are no JV playoffs and these can be played almost anytime. Also most conferences do not play for a conference title either for JV and lower level games. That would just be tough titty for the JV game around here.

Peace
Now you've done it. Now someone will come here with hands wringing saying that the JV game is just as important and someone else will say "Think of the Children!!!!"

Old Sat Apr 07, 2007, 12:06pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich Fronheiser
Now you've done it. Now someone will come here with hands wringing saying that the JV game is just as important and someone else will say "Think of the Children!!!!"

Peace
Old Sun Apr 08, 2007, 08:55am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Quote:
I would not have handled it that way, but it is not his obligation to work a game he was not assigned. I have "helped out" only to get the shaft in the end. This is not most of our primary job or activity. He was assigned the bases (why this is assigned I do not know) and that is what he was there to work. Now I am not for leaving the game he was scheduled, but he does have the right to say no and if he was working a college game the next day that was his right. It might not be what you want to do, but I am not going to be upset with anyone that turns down a situation they were not scheduled to do.

Peace
I disagree with the aforementioned.

In my association just like many others Varsity is scheduled first meaning 2 Umpires ALWAYS and then JV on down. However, s*** happens.

In the case presented, the BU will get paid or I should say should get paid the Varsity FEE since he was scheduled to do a varsity game, so money should not be an issue.

In HS, teams travel and in some instances many miles. So you have 2 JV teams ready to play and say one of the teams traveled some 40 miles or further to play and now you do not want to umpire and basically tell these teams to GO HOME.

I realize this type of situation is an area by area "thing" but if the Home coach approached you I do not see how any Umpire organization would frown on the splitting of duties as was done in this case.
Also, IMO no one is "too good" that he/she cannot do a JV or even a modified game once in a while.

IMO, Nick handled it very well. He did not cause a scene and even though this umpire was reported to the association (which I agree with) he did not "rat him" out either. It was the arrogance and audacity of the BU which were his downfall.

Pete Booth
Old Sun Apr 08, 2007, 12:20pm
Do not give a damn!!

Maybe if we took the attitude that people have the right to do what they want to do considering they are leaving their jobs and families to do so, then we would get rid of the "arrogance" attitude that prevails these websites when people exercise their right. It is my right to decide what I want to do when I take games. Like Jake Plummer, if I do not like the circumstances I am put in, I can quit. Most people this is an extra-curricular activity. No one is getting rich off of officiating and certainly not paying all their bills by the money we make. It is not arrogant for someone to say I did not sign up for this and I choose to pass. Do not give me we are out there for the kids and it is our professional duty. People sacrifice a lot to work any sporting event and I have a lot of choice. Maybe this is why there is a shortage of umpires and officials across the country. I know if the numbers we up around here every game might be assigned with umpires. But because the numbers are so abysmal anyone that umpires can get opportunities they cannot get in other sports.

Peace
Old Sun Apr 08, 2007, 12:30pm
Official Forum Member

He signed up with an association that has rules and then did not abide by them when he chose not to work the plate at the JV game. He lost his right to choose when he accepted the game.

Here, all games are assigned 2 officials, JV and Varsity. Occassionally we have two games at same site, JV first and V second, and the officials would work both, but never two games at the the same time at same location. I know of no umpire in our association that would accept this "DH" and arrive and refuse to do the plate game for the JV game because he has a college game the next day.

Last edited by DG; Sun Apr 08, 2007 at 12:37pm.
Old Sun Apr 08, 2007, 01:46pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by DG
He signed up with an association that has rules and then did not abide by them when he chose not to work the plate at the JV game. He lost his right to choose when he accepted the game.

Here, all games are assigned 2 officials, JV and Varsity. Occassionally we have two games at same site, JV first and V second, and the officials would work both, but never two games at the the same time at same location. I know of no umpire in our association that would accept this "DH" and arrive and refuse to do the plate game for the JV game because he has a college game the next day.
This is quite a different situation than the original post. If you accept to work a double header with those circumstances, then chances are you know what you are getting yourself into. Unless you are assigned to works the plate on each game, I am sure there are umpires that prefer not to work the plate for various reasons that might not be discussed openly. I bet working something the day after or the day before might be part of that willingness to work the plate at any given time.

Peace
Old Sun Apr 08, 2007, 02:35pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Maybe if we took the attitude that people have the right to do what they want to do considering they are leaving their jobs and families to do so, then we would get rid of the "arrogance" attitude that prevails these websites when people exercise their right.
There's something that trumps having the right to do what one wants, and that is the expectation that people live up to the agreements they make. If the umpire in question has voluntarily accepted membership in his association, and the association has agreed on a protocol to follow when a game (even a JV game) is uncovered, then that umpire is bound by agreement to honor the protocol.

The arrogance in this situation is not with the posters in this thread; it is with the umpire who breached his agreement with his association because he considered umpiring JV ball to be beneath him.
Old Sun Apr 08, 2007, 03:20pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Hensley
There's something that trumps having the right to do what one wants, and that is the expectation that people live up to the agreements they make. If the umpire in question has voluntarily accepted membership in his association, and the association has agreed on a protocol to follow when a game (even a JV game) is uncovered, then that umpire is bound by agreement to honor the protocol.
I agree if that is the policy that is in place the umpire has more of an obligation to follow it. But just like anything in life, not all policies are well written or followed. Better yet is this a policy talked about or understood by all members? Is this in the constitution of the organizations? Is this policy on the contract? I trust that Nick is not lying or misrepresenting the story, but there are two sides to any story. And this is a very local issue because this would not be an issue in my state. My state has made it very clear that all contracts assigned are with the school. And if the contract you have with the assignor says you are to work a game at a particular time, the school is responsible for what takes place. In other words I would not have to work a game I was not assigned at any level if it was not on the contract.

Quote:
The arrogance in this situation is not with the posters in this thread; it is with the umpire who breached his agreement with his association because he considered umpiring JV ball to be beneath him.
There my not be arrogance with the posters in the thread. It is arrogant to expect such a policy applies across the board and that everyone would look at this situation the same. Because when I read this originally I was trying to see what the big deal was? I have no problem with an umpire not wanting to work a game they were not assigned. I also would not want to belong to an association that has such a policy. Then again that is my opinion.

Peace
Old Mon Apr 09, 2007, 04:42pm
Official Forum Member

What I like about our area is if you do a solo game and there were two umpires scheduled YOU take home both game checks. I have not ever been stiffed by a partner but there were a few times I wouldn't have minded if they hadn't showed up.
Old Mon Apr 09, 2007, 07:42pm
Official Forum Member

While I don't do baseball (foot/basketball), I agree with Rut here. I have my own policy: I don't work unassigned subvarsity games. I have in the past and this year, I did an extra varsity tournament game, but my days are numbered in basketball as far as working 2 man games period. It isn't arrogance, that sub varsity is beneath me, or even that I've paid my dues. Its that I value my time both monetarily and otherwise. Also, I think some schools try to take advantage of the situation.
Old Mon Apr 09, 2007, 11:36pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:

Well said. When he joined the association, he made an agreement. The code of ethics for baseball umpires (2007 NFHS Umpires Manual, pp. 6-7) also has a few things to say about this situation:

1. Honor all contracts regardless of possible inconvenience or financial loss.
7. Give your complete cooperation to the schools you serve and to the state association which you represent.
13. Keep in mind that the game is more important than the wishes of any individual player or the ambitions of any individual umpire.