The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Baseball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Apr 02, 2007, 03:26pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to TussAgee11
A quick McCarver saying...

"David Eckstein, like most players, has 20 digits. 10 fingers, 10 toes. He used them all on that play".

My favorite Joe one from recent memory

R1, R2. 1 out. Deep fly ball to center. U1 sprints out to get the ball. U2 lines up the tag, U3 awaits at 3 and PU at home. Both runners end up tagging, but R1 stops and gets thrown behind at first. U2 has to make a close call on R1 from the saddle.

Joe says that he has umpired for years, and that U2 needs to run out in this situation, not U1. Furthermore, if U1 goes out, then PU should come up and get 1st base.

Where does he come up with this stuff?
Old Mon Apr 02, 2007, 04:59pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TussAgee11
A quick McCarver saying...

"David Eckstein, like most players, has 20 digits. 10 fingers, 10 toes. He used them all on that play".

My favorite Joe one from recent memory

R1, R2. 1 out. Deep fly ball to center. U1 sprints out to get the ball. U2 lines up the tag, U3 awaits at 3 and PU at home. Both runners end up tagging, but R1 stops and gets thrown behind at first. U2 has to make a close call on R1 from the saddle.

Joe says that he has umpired for years, and that U2 needs to run out in this situation, not U1. Furthermore, if U1 goes out, then PU should come up and get 1st base.

Where does he come up with this stuff?
This was the Sunday night game between the Mets and Yankees last year...I know Larry Poncino was involved, and we had a great debate over how much of a moron Joe is.
Old Mon Apr 02, 2007, 05:01pm
Official Forum Member

I can't speak about his rule knowledge, since I haven't heard him much since starting umpiring, but I always thought Joe Morgan was highly informative about inside baseball strategy and mechanics.
Old Mon Apr 02, 2007, 05:13pm
Official Forum Member

Unfortunately, whatever Morgan and Miller say on the weekend you can bet that some coach will be yelling about it the first week of the season. Oh Joy.
Old Mon Apr 02, 2007, 06:08pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CJN
the st louis pitcher makes your standard fake to third look to first pick-off move. he clearly steps off the rubber after he fakes to third and then looks toward first but doesn't throw.

here is where the infinite wisdom of joe morgan comes in. he says "they" are working on making this move illegal because it is "deceiving to the runner." he says something about not being able to fake to first from the normal postition and how he doesn't think it should be any different with this move.
Any runner who gets picked off in the old 3rd to 1st move not only deserves to be out, he deserves to be shot, too.
Old Mon Apr 02, 2007, 09:30pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by budjones05
I heard that boardcasters are not require to know the rules, nor not subject to random drug tests.
What's a "boardcaster"? Is he someone who throws wood planks? Or announces the action at a Board of Directors' meeting?

"nor not" Double negative. Are you implying they ARE subject to random drug testing?

Bob
Old Mon Apr 02, 2007, 10:13pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eastshire
Glad to know I wasn't the only one yelling at the TV last night. It upsets the wife though.
Nice to know that I'm not the only one who does this, and has the same problem in doing so!

I too was speaking my mind at the TV after Joe's blunder last night! He's such a moron! And his partner was trying to graciously bail him out of it, but Joe would have none of it. He went face-first into the cow pie, and then ate it all up!
Old Mon Apr 02, 2007, 10:34pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via Yahoo to umpduck11
Quote:
Originally Posted by LMan
Yep. Seems like every coach I talk to was a former umpire, also
Not every one, just about half of them. The other half still umpire during their
" off " season........