The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Baseball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sat Mar 31, 2007, 10:27am
Official Forum Member

Stance

why is it that every so called top guy in your organization always critizises the way your stance is behind the plate. i have been doing this for 6 yrs now.
i have tried many and i mean many stances to find a comfort zone and also find what is comfortable to me to be able to get the best look at the zone.
alot of times my stance changes from the way alot of these catchers move.
For one, when a catcher has an 0-2 count and does the 3 feet outside the plate move....i know i aint sitting in the slot no matter what anyone says...have had 2 many pichers throw a fastball inside cause they can't control where they throw...sometimes catchers almost stand when the catch...some are short and are so low you have to move a diffrent way.
there are many fine umps that stay the same place everytime...good for them...i feel to line up over the inside edge of the catchers head to see the slot makes it more comfortable for me...yea, i do like hidind most of my body behind the catcher...i like my bones and need to be at work the next day...noone has ever really complained about my stike zone... so i move with the catcher...is this wrong ?
Old Sat Mar 31, 2007, 10:51am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via Yahoo to waltjp
Mike,

I found that the quickest way to move ahead is to ignore the advice of the 'top guys'. Heck, the game has most likely passed them by.
Old Sat Mar 31, 2007, 11:14am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike1989
why is it that every so called top guy in your organization always critizises the way your stance is behind the plate. i have been doing this for 6 yrs now.
i have tried many and i mean many stances to find a comfort zone and also find what is comfortable to me to be able to get the best look at the zone.
For one, when a catcher has an 0-2 count and does the 3 feet outside the plate move....i know i aint sitting in the slot no matter what anyone says...have had 2 many pichers throw a fastball inside cause they can't control where they throw...sometimes catchers almost stand when the catch...some are short and are so low you have to move a diffrent way.
there are many fine umps that stay the same place everytime...good for them...i feel to line up over the inside edge of the catchers head to see the slot makes it more comfortable for me...yea, i do like hidind most of my body behind the catcher...i like my bones and need to be at work the next day...noone has ever really complained about my stike zone... so i move with the catcher...is this wrong ?
If no one is complaining about your strike zone and you are feeling secure about your safety, I really don't see your problem. Do not let those "top dogs" change what is obviously successful for you !

BTW, are they no longer teaching basic writing and grammar skills in our schools ?

Arnie

You can't fix stupid - Ron White
Old Sat Mar 31, 2007, 11:42am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
1. Buy good equipment and trust it.
2. Do what your assignor and trainers what you to do, or don't whine when you don't get what you want from them.
Old Sat Mar 31, 2007, 11:57am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to johnSandlin Send a message via Yahoo to johnSandlin
A lot of the "top dogs" in association are seeing how the game is changing both in the style of play and the style of umpiring, and they do not want to change.

My old partner thought my mechanics and the style I use was not very good, and he use to call me out on it.

I just finally did what another poster said in an earlier comment, I ignored it and did what I was taught, watched and adapted into my own game, asked to do by supervisors, and it has worked for me.

Our association uses a rule toward newer officials, if we (veteran officials aka "top dogs") are not asked for advice, do not offer advice.
Old Sat Mar 31, 2007, 09:10pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PWL
That would be good advice if all the people that got the better games had good field and plate mechanics. Umpire associations are more like a "secret society" than anything else. As long as they keep me in the dark, it's hard to hold much faith in anything they say.

"Do as I say, not as I do".
I've discovered that most umpires who feel their association keeps them in the dark never saw the light in the first place.

Maybe you should talk to Hensley.
Old Sat Mar 31, 2007, 10:59pm
rei

Many years ago starting out, I didn't care for the advice I was getting from "top dogs" in my association. I thought I had better ways of doing things and "they work for me" attitude.

Guess what? I didn't advance very quickly. In fact, QUITE slowly!

Do not discount the advice of "top dogs" so easily.

A fine example. I worked with a guy last year who's stike mechanic is a "hammer" out in front. The problem is, he doesn't hammer it, he just sort of brings his arm up into the finish position of the hammer.

Get in front of a mirror and try just bringing your arm up to the finish position of the hammer and tell me what that looks like you are doing to the pitcher.

I tried to tell him, but he didn't want to listen. Same guy didn't like what I had to say about that curve ball that the catcher is digging out of the dirt. It isn't a strike, but on this pre-season varsity game, he was ringing it up all day and claims that this sophmores curve ball is breaking that hard.

Every level I have moved up into has required me to make adjustments to the things I do. Sometimes, it is little stuff like where I put my hands when I am relaxing between innings on the bases (in my back pockets). Sometimes, it is bigger stuff like staying in the same spot so that if the pitch is way outside, every person in the ball park can tell that the catcher is actually set up 2' outside receiving the ball!

Remember, your assignor is probably asking these "top dogs" what they think about you and probably trusts most of what they say! Again, you don't have to listen or heed their advise, but it may hold you back.

Good luck.
Old Sat Mar 31, 2007, 11:35pm
Official Forum Member

Consider the source

Quote:
My advice would be to always consider the source when taking any kind of advice from another umpire.

Is the umpire talking to you about improvement an umpire that you respect and admire. If not, then he's probably not worth listening to.

A lot of the top dogs are simply not good umpires, just guys that knew how the food chain worked and took advantage of it.

My advice is to find some umpires that YOU respect. Go to their games, watch them and learn. There has to be a reason that you respect them.
Then if you get the chance to work a game with one of them, learn, learn. learn.

I've been doing this umpiring thing for over 30 years and I'm always finding something new to work toward.

Thanks
David
Old Sat Mar 31, 2007, 11:45pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by SAump
I would hope that my loud strike call encourages the pitcher to throw more strikes by the batter. I would say that I am sending the batter a message, swing and hit the damn thing when it looks that good or prepare to go sit down, or at least that is what I hope it looks like to his coaches and teammates.
SA, rei was referring to an arm motion with the right fist, or half of a not-so-nice Italian salutation. That particular version of the "hammer" would not be such a welcome sight for the pitcher .
Matthew 15:14, 1 Corinthians 1:23-25
Old Sun Apr 01, 2007, 01:09pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PWL
This reminds me of the line from Blazing Saddles. "Gentlemen, we have to protect our phony baloney jobs.

I've seen too many actions contradict too many statements. You need to come up with a better excuse than that.
Paul,

So you're saying that Hensley has a "phony baloney job?"

I thought he might be in a good position to work with you and then recommend you to the higher ups.

That would be taking positive action, which I believe, works better than whining.
Old Sun Apr 01, 2007, 01:43pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PWL
Leroy,

You're missing the point. I don't need anybody to work with me. I just know what I see and what I hear. I'm only saying that there is only so much pie to go around and some people don't get to sit at the table it is being served at. They're not going to serve smaller portions to ensure everyone gets a piece. AFAIK, Dave isn't umpiring this year because of work commitments. He might not even have made a meeting, but I am willing to bet some one signed his name to the sign in sheet. I've seen guys sign in for three people before. You have to make so many meeting to be eligible for playoffs. Plus, there are other things I will not go into.

Let's just say things aren't as kosher as they should be.
Paul,

So you're accusing Dave of being involved in cheating, plus some other things you "will not go into."

I'm amazed. I've never known Dave to be anything less than honest, even when we disagree.

Last edited by GarthB; Sun Apr 01, 2007 at 01:48pm.
Old Sun Apr 01, 2007, 02:49pm
rei

Quote:
Originally Posted by SAump
I would hope that my loud strike call encourages the pitcher to throw more strikes by the batter. I would say that I am sending the batter a message, swing and hit the damn thing when it looks that good or prepare to go sit down, or at least that is what I hope it looks like to his coaches and teammates.
I don't think you understand. The hammer looks great when it is done right! Bring your arm up and "hammer" it.

That is not what this guy is doing. It looks like he is flipping everybody off.
Old Sun Apr 01, 2007, 03:29pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GarthB
Paul,

So you're accusing Dave of being involved in cheating, plus some other things you "will not go into."

I'm amazed. I've never known Dave to be anything less than honest, even when we disagree.
Hey guys. I've been absent from this forum for a couple of weeks. As PWL mentioned, I didn't take a high school schedule this year due to a change in my job situation that has me traveling frequently and on short notice. I made the first few meetings of the year, but when it came time to fish or cut bait on committing to my availability to get a schedule, I cut bait.

I think PWL is referring to a perception of "good ol' boy" politics in the association he and I are members of. What I know is that the same handful of veterans have held most of the officer positions for a long time. My opinion is that that is really just a reflection of the 80/20 rule - 20% of the people in any volunteer organization end up doing 80% of the work, rather than any conscious effort on their part to exclude new blood from coming in.

Most playoff assignments are the result of coaches' requests, a practice I find somewhat peculiar but not particularly sinister. It does, though, I think make it tougher for the newer umpires to gain the necessary familiarity to get playoff assignment requests.

As for PWL's speculation that some members are skirting the meeting attendance rules without penalty, I think he's probably right. There are over 100 association members, but rarely are there more than 30-40 at any given meeting. The sign-in sheet is basically on the honor system, so he may be right that some guys are getting ghost-signed in without attending. I have never asked anyone to sign me in, nor have I ever signed in someone else.
Old Sun Apr 01, 2007, 04:03pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Hensley

I think PWL is referring to a perception of "good ol' boy" politics in the association he and I are members of. What I know is that the same handful of veterans have held most of the officer positions for a long time. My opinion is that that is really just a reflection of the 80/20 rule - 20% of the people in any volunteer organization end up doing 80% of the work, rather than any conscious effort on their part to exclude new blood from coming in.
I agree that the 80/20 rule is probably in play in more situations than any sinister motive.

Quote:
Most playoff assignments are the result of coaches' requests, a practice I find somewhat peculiar but not particularly sinister. It does, though, I think make it tougher for the newer umpires to gain the necessary familiarity to get playoff assignment requests.
So if an umpire isn't getting playoff assignments, it's due to the what the coaches who he has had think about him and not exclusion by the "big dogs." Interesting.
Old Sun Apr 01, 2007, 04:11pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to RPatrino Send a message via Yahoo to RPatrino
Coach's providing feedback is important, but having them select who works the playoffs is a bit much.

What should be more important, the opinions of coach's or the respect of your peers?

-----------------------
We are stewards of baseball. Our customers aren't schools or coaches or conferences. Our customer is the game itself.