The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Baseball (https://forum.officiating.com/baseball/)
-   -   Pre-Game Conf, Things NOT to say!! (https://forum.officiating.com/baseball/33178-pre-game-conf-things-not-say.html)

ozzy6900 Wed Mar 28, 2007 11:26am

Quote:

Originally Posted by UMP25
"Is everyone legally equipped?"

I still maintain this is one of the stupidest things to ask. What do we expect a coach to say--"Uh, no. We have three illegal bats, two cracked helmets, and a wad of Vaseline we intend to use."? :D

FED rules require this question, UMP25. It referees to F1 having a cup and any other proper protection required (such as proper batting helmets). The question can only be answered by the responsible adult for the team (in my eyes, the head coach). It is also supposed to legally remove our responsibility if someone gets hurt because he didn't have his cup on (I'll believe that when I see it). The question has nothing to do with illegal bats (FED requires the umpires to check the bats for legality before the game) or Vaseline or anything like that. NCAA doesn't have anything that stupid - but it does want you to talk about sportsmanship and a couple of other things at the plate meeting, hummmmmmm?

Regards.

SouthGARef Wed Mar 28, 2007 11:32am

Had a coach ask at the pregame meeting the other day what my partner's strike zone was like.

I was shocked he answered. Even more shocked when he said "I'll give your pitchers probably a half ball on each corner."

:eek:

UMP25 Wed Mar 28, 2007 11:44am

Quote:

Originally Posted by ozzy6900
FED rules require this question, UMP25.

Oh, I know, and I'm not advocating people ignore FED's instructions regarding this. I just personally think it's stupid. It's not our job to be lawyers, just umpires. I'm still curious to know if any coach has ever said "No" when asked if everyone was legally equipped? :D

sargee7 Wed Mar 28, 2007 11:50am

Quote:

Oh, I know, and I'm not advocating people ignore FED's instructions regarding this. I just personally think it's stupid. It's not our job to be lawyers, just umpires. I'm still curious to know if any coach has ever said "No" when asked if everyone was legally equipped? :D

UMP25, you're correct, we are umpires, not lawyers, but, if something should happen to a player or coach because you didn't do something that you had control of, you might need a lawyer.

GarthB Wed Mar 28, 2007 11:54am

Quote:

Originally Posted by PeteBooth
Garth you forgot the most important one.

Checks or cash gentlemen. That is probably number one because if we do not get paid at the plate conference there is no need to ask the other 3 questions on your list. I am predominately talking about Summer ball.

Pete Booth

That never ocurrs to me, Pete, because here assignors collect game fees in advance and issue checks to the umpires on a monthly basis. This applies to high school, college and summer ball.

UMP25 Wed Mar 28, 2007 11:56am

Quote:

Originally posted by sargee7
UMP25, you're correct, we are umpires, not lawyers, but, if something should happen to a player or coach because you didn't do something that you had control of, you might need a lawyer.

But how far do we take it? FED's requirements often, IMHO, go a bit too far.

BTW, how much do you want to bet that we all are, in some way, guilty of not doing everything EXACTLY as we "technically" should? ;)

LDUB Wed Mar 28, 2007 12:09pm

Quote:

I'm still curious to know if any coach has ever said "No" when asked if everyone was legally equipped? :D

Visitng coach: "No. Our catcher forgot to bring his mask on the bus with him today."

I guess that team either had only one catcher or only one set of gear because they ended up having to borrow one from the home team.

bellsjc Wed Mar 28, 2007 12:58pm

Quote:

"Is everyone legally equipped?"

I still maintain this is one of the stupidest things to ask. What do we expect a coach to say--"Uh, no. We have three illegal bats, two cracked helmets, and a wad of vaseline we intend to use."? :D

It may be a stupid thing to ask but you do ask it right? Are we forced to ask it for legal, or liability issues? I basically say... Are both teams properly equipped according to Federation rules? Would like you remind both teams about sportsmanship requirements, I give the groundrules, I usually don't ask the coach to give them, have a good game.

PeteBooth Wed Mar 28, 2007 02:13pm

Quote:

Quote:

But how far do we take it? FED's requirements often, IMHO, go a bit too far.

BTW, how much do you want to bet that we all are, in some way, guilty of not doing everything EXACTLY as we "technically" should? ;)

IMO, Apples / Oranges.

I believe most FED umpires do EXACTLY the way we should regarding Safety issues. Jewelry is a little more difficult to enforce sometimes because you cannot always see it visibly especially in the cooler months where the kids hide it under their sweatshirts.

Also, let's get real here.

Quote:

Is your team properly equipped
takes all of 15 seconds to ask so what's the BIG deal.

Pete Booth

johnnyg08 Wed Mar 28, 2007 02:17pm

When a coach comes out to argue...

Umpire to coach:
"You thought that call was bad...you should've seen the call I made yesterday!" typically the discussion is over after that and everybody leaves with a grin...

socalblue1 Wed Mar 28, 2007 03:06pm

Quote:

My plate man in a D-1 game last night: "Is there a 10-run rule we need to know about?"

Uh, last time I checked, NCAA Division 1 games don't play under that. Duh.

This is a valid question. NCAA gives the option to have a mercy rule, IF approved by the conference and BOTH head coaches.

rei Wed Mar 28, 2007 03:45pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by socalblue1
This is a valid question. NCAA gives the option to have a mercy rule, IF approved by the conference and BOTH head coaches.

Yes!

I like the NAIA way better though! There is a 10 run rule unless specified at the pre-game meeting! :) We don't have to ask, and are encouraged not to!

Speaking of not calling certain things:

How many are diligently enforcing the "No white or grey on the pitchers glove" rule?

In Oregon, it has come down that simply rubbing some dirt on the white logo/lettering is enough to change the color for the rule, but I say that is splitting hair, and playing lawyer! I had a coach go ape dukey about that, because it still looked white!

Personally, if it looks white to me, that is that! I refuse to use the "rub dirt on it" approach because that is me playing lawyer, and I am told not to do so. :)

The rule is beyond ridiculous, and I figure by ruthlessly enforcing it, it will eventually get changed back!

I played ball for many years, and never once as a batter (who usually hit over .400!) did the glove, the sleeve color, and/or anything on his throwing arm cause me to hit any worse. I have never talked to a player who felt it did either!

I am not sure where these kinds of rules come from, but I sure do know it isn't from my area! :(

LakeErieUmp Wed Mar 28, 2007 04:28pm

We're asking the coaches if the players are properly equipped not because of "liability" reasons (I'm an attorney so I can address this) but because otherwise we'd have to do the alternative of CHECKING each player's equipment. Asking puts the onus on the coach so that if there is a challenge on equipment or uniforming during the game the coach is on the hook.

I had long ago grown tired of checking soccer player's shoes and shin guards and wish we had that asking rule in FED soccer when I was doing it.

BigGuy Wed Mar 28, 2007 05:02pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by bellsjc
It may be a stupid thing to ask but you do ask it right? Are we forced to ask it for legal, or liability issues? I basically say... Are both teams properly equipped according to Federation rules? Would like you remind both teams about sportsmanship requirements, I give the groundrules, I usually don't ask the coach to give them, have a good game.

Somewhere along the line the home team coach has to provide to you what the prevailing ground rules are for his field. The umpire does not SET ground rules, only enforces them and decides what they are if BOTH coaches cannot come to an agreement on what they should be. Part of the pre-game conference is to talk about existing conditions and if they differ - for example - for a gravel area next to a dugout at the end - is it live ball or dead ball territory. I worked one game where there was an area within the confines of the fence but tarped over with old tires holding it down. It was made clear by HT that the area was DBT however it got there, even though fielders had full access. I said OK, let's go, and that was that.

UMP25 Wed Mar 28, 2007 05:36pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by socalblue1

It's a stupid question when the conference in which the game was played does NOT utilize this. My partner should have known this. I have never worked a D-1 conference that has.