The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Baseball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Fri Mar 16, 2007, 10:01am
Official Forum Member

Jim Evans Academy Balk Video

Anybody seen it? Anyone have a copy you want to sell or loan? I have heard it is a good one but having a little trouble coughing up $40 + bucks for it right now.
Old Fri Mar 16, 2007, 10:46am
Official Forum Member

It's an outstanding video. Get your association to buy a copy, or split the cost among several other umpires.
Old Fri Mar 16, 2007, 12:06pm
Official Forum Member

BUY it... you can't go wrong with it. It's full of info. It is what Evans uses for pro school to teach his students balks. Your be far ahead of a great deal of umpires if you do.
Old Fri Mar 16, 2007, 12:19pm
Official Forum Member

It is a great teaching reference, but you will still need many moons before you start nailing balks. I can honestly say that last season was the 1st in my career that I ever felt 100% on calling and explaining most every type of balk all the time and also the first time that I was near 100% echoing my partners on balks. They are almost as tough as the strike zone, because you have to be focused all the time.
Old Fri Mar 16, 2007, 12:20pm
Official Forum Member

Run, don't walk to the phone, & order it now!!

Definitely get it -- I bought it last season (first yr doing HS) and prob watched it a dozen times. I feel so much more confident knowing what to look for and calling balks now. It's on constant loan now w/in my association - I can't recommend it highly enough!!

(don't get "See a balk, call a balk" -- I got that one first was very disappointed w/it -- especially after see the Evan's one).

Bob
Old Fri Mar 16, 2007, 12:50pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via Yahoo to UmpJM
Cool

I would also add my hearty endorsement to Jim's pitching video. I bought it last year and have watched it numerous times. Actually being able to see the legal and illegal moves demonstrated brings a level of understanding that words by themselves cannot convey.

I wrote an article for the paid side of the site awhile back on some of the common misconceptions that umpires have about the balk rules. If every umpire watched this video, I wouldn't have had any material to write about.

If the price seems a bit much, get a couple of guys to chip in as Bob J. suggests.

JM
Old Fri Mar 16, 2007, 01:23pm
Official Forum Member

just be persistant when ordering- i tried to order it a few years ago and it took FOREVER and a day. i had to call on 3 different occasions and give them my information twice before they finally sent it- it took a month or two for the whole process. i was waving 50 bucks in their face and they didn't want to take it! haha.

although it's a steep price, it's VERY worth it as others have said. i reccommend like bob did to split it among a couple other umpires.
Old Fri Mar 16, 2007, 01:33pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via Yahoo to UmpJM
Cool

bossman72,

I had a very different experience when I ordered mine last August.

I ordered directly from the website on a Friday afternoon. About an hour later, I received an e-mail notifying me that my order had shipped. When the mail arrived the following Tuesday, my DVD was there. And there was a brief hand-written note from Jim thanking me for my order.

I was pretty impressed.

Also, I believe it was last year, Jim remastered the video, made it available for $40.00 (used to be $50), and it is now offered on DVD (instead of just VHS).

JM
Old Fri Mar 16, 2007, 02:28pm
Official Forum Member

Things have changed at the JEAPU on the operational side of things in recent years. Jim Evans is still in charge like always but there is more infrastructure than has been there in the past. Look for more positive changes as time moves on in this regard.

Lawrence
Old Sat Mar 17, 2007, 12:52am
Official Forum Member

One more "me, too" post

I bought the Evans tape when he first released and I continue to watch before each season. I use it in my training sessions for umpires of levels and experience and have shown it at coaches clinics as well. It never fails to educate and enlighten.

I don't know anyone who would screw around with Jim's rights and give you a copy, or loan you one so that you could copy it. Respect the man who made it and make an investment in yourself and buy a copy.

Last edited by GarthB; Sat Mar 17, 2007 at 10:46am.
Old Sat Mar 17, 2007, 07:18am
Official Forum Member

Wow-I did not expect this much response

For the most part, the responses received are why I keep coming back to this forum and overlook the negative, back-biting, immature stuff that some of the users post. Based upon your overwhelming positive reviews of this training video, I will purchase my own copy. I never intended to copy the material if someone lent it to me. I merely wanted to preview it as I had no real basis to evaluate the material contained in the video. I don't even know how to copy a DVD and never intend to. Sorry if you misunderstood me GarthB. Thanks to all who posted a response and review of this video.