The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Baseball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Fri Mar 09, 2007, 12:55am
Official Forum Member

Hey all,

Black duct tape on the CP straps and black electrical tape on the mask straps. No slippage AND a clean and professional look.

LomUmp
Old Fri Mar 09, 2007, 11:53am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LomUmp
Hey all,

...black electrical tape on the mask straps.
LomUmp
Why put tape, of any color, on mask straps?
Old Sat Mar 10, 2007, 02:18am
Official Forum Member

Hey all,

I adjust the straps, cut to leave about an extra 1-2" and tape down to hold in place and clean the look.

LomUmp
Old Thu Jan 07, 2010, 06:33pm
Get away from me, Steve.

I have been having a miserable afternoon. It's snowing, my basketball game's been postponed, and I'm in a bit of a funk for some reason.

And then the Riddell Power showed up on my doorstep this afternoon.

I've tried it on. Need to adjust the straps, etc. but I can see why people want to get one. It's the perfect balance of a hard shell but lightweight protector.

I have an option to buy it and it looks like I probably will.
Old Sun Jan 10, 2010, 04:57pm
Official Forum Member

A Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichMSN View Post
I have been having a miserable afternoon. It's snowing, my basketball game's been postponed, and I'm in a bit of a funk for some reason.

And then the Riddell Power showed up on my doorstep this afternoon.

I've tried it on. Need to adjust the straps, etc. but I can see why people want to get one. It's the perfect balance of a hard shell but lightweight protector.

I have an option to buy it and it looks like I probably will.
Rich, if you are having such a bad day, let me ask: You willing to sell the power so your day can get a little better?
Old Sun Jan 10, 2010, 05:50pm
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkumpire View Post
Rich, if you are having such a bad day, let me ask: You willing to sell the power so your day can get a little better?
It's not mine to sell. I was promised a "friend price" and if I don't keep it, it goes to someone else or back to the owner.

It's not going back, though. 4 or so basketball checks pay for it.
Old Sun Jan 10, 2010, 08:24pm
Official Forum Member

I know the Riddell Power is the "Holy Grail" of chest protectors, but, I recently found what I consider one of the best CP's I have ever worn on Ebay. I found a lightly used All American Pro and paid only $75.00 for it including shipping.

To each his own, I guess!
Old Sun Jan 10, 2010, 11:37pm
Official Forum Member

I have a Carlucci. Now I'm spolied, I will never wear anything else as a chest protector.
Old Mon Jan 11, 2010, 09:39am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkumpire View Post
I have a Carlucci. Now I'm spolied, I will never wear anything else as a chest protector.
Every guy who has one says that.

And then they each tell their particular Cece Carlucci story.

What a legend.

Quote:
Originally Posted by etn_ump View Post
I know the Riddell Power is the "Holy Grail" of chest protectors, but, I recently found what I consider one of the best CP's I have ever worn on Ebay. I found a lightly used All American Pro and paid only $75.00 for it including shipping.

To each his own, I guess!
So YOU were the lone bidder. Congrats. You got a very good, very hard-to-find CP at about $40 off.

I left that one alone. I was going to recommend it to another umpire who has concerns over how short the Gold is. I did like that original Gold one the guy was selling, but his reserve was too high. You can get a new Gold for $135 now. So used ones are barely worth more than $100.

I do still love that Douglas I picked up on ebay a while back for a price so low I don't even want to reveal it. I work it into the rotation every now and then, and it is a comfortable, low-profile hard shell. Yours will offer more coverage, however. A good friend has one, and he loves it.

Last edited by Kevin Finnerty; Mon Jan 11, 2010 at 02:30pm.
Old Mon Jan 11, 2010, 02:28pm
Official Forum Member

I went up on ebay and I couldn't find a Riddell Power CP (I never can), but this time, I did come across a rare Riddell Black and Red umpire's mask.

You can buy it now for only $29.00, or make an offer!

Here's the link:

Nice RIDDELL Black and Red UMPIREs 10" Face Mask - eBay (item 110379926753 end time Jan-15-10 19:50:28 PST)
Old Mon Jan 11, 2010, 02:53pm
Official Forum Member

Actually, there were 4 bidders I think.

I already have the All American in the 14" model, just wanted to give the 17" one a try. They are very good CP's, I don't think people know about them though. Lucky for me!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin Finnerty View Post
Every guy who has one says that.

And then they each tell their particular Cece Carlucci story.

What a legend.

So YOU were the lone bidder. Congrats. You got a very good, very hard-to-find CP at about $40 off.

I left that one alone. I was going to recommend it to another umpire who has concerns over how short the Gold is. I did like that original Gold one the guy was selling, but his reserve was too high. You can get a new Gold for $135 now. So used ones are barely worth more than $100.

I do still love that Douglas I picked up on ebay a while back for a price so low I don't even want to reveal it. I work it into the rotation every now and then, and it is a comfortable, low-profile hard shell. Yours will offer more coverage, however. A good friend has one, and he loves it.
Old Thu Sep 10, 2015, 11:04pm
Get away from me, Steve.

Searching for Riddell Power protectors (call it a hobby) and I found this old thread.

I've had my Power for 6 seasons now. It's been on ESPN, I've worked 2 state HS championships while wearing it. I bought one of those Unequal Protectors when they came out (and I still have it), but I went back to the Power after wearing that thing for about 8-10 games.

The only alteration I made to it was I sent it to Team Wendy and had them put their padding on it. I also put a new harness on it. The original harness and padding were falling apart and I needed to do something to get the rest of my career out of it.
Old Tue Sep 22, 2015, 05:38am
Stop staring at me swan.

A friend of mine has a Carlucci. It's a nice rig...he thinks he can get $5k for it.

I told him...sell it now and good luck.