Go Back   The Official Forum > Baseball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sun Mar 04, 2007, 07:17pm
Official Forum Member

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by PWL
You have '67 Shelby or a '67 GT? I've got my '69 Mach I up and running very nicely. But then, I saw a nice '68 California Special that a fellow was really interested in a straight up trade for. What to do, what to do.
HAD is the operative word. I've had a bunch of old Mustangs, '65 GT-K, '65 GT 2+2, '69 Shelby GT350 and the 500. The GT500 was just scary. I'm working on a '67 coupe, with '88 roller that Mr. Edelbrock has breathed heavily on. My first crack at a hotrod.

The plate coat is definitely for show. Dust off that Power, and you can afford headers and a Flowmaster systems for the Mach 1. Keep the '69, the GTCS is just a plain ol' '68 with some do-dads. You won't like it. But friend of mine made a GTCS convertible, and that is really cool looking.
Old Mon Mar 05, 2007, 08:27am
Official Forum Member

I should have won

I had a max bid of $325 on this one, and when I woke up Sunday morning, I had lost. I really wanted that chest protector.
Old Mon Mar 05, 2007, 10:06am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pingswinger
I really wanted that chest protector.
Why? I'm not trying to be a wise***, I'm just curious.
Old Mon Mar 05, 2007, 11:04am
Official Forum Member

The Carlucci chest protector (from the same seller that sold the Riddell) went unsold and has been relisted, with $10 knocked off the starting price ($89).

Personally, I'd rather have the Carlucci at that price than the Riddell at four times that price. I'm tempted to go for it, just to hold one in my hands see it up close. Since these protectors are custom made to the users exact measurements, I would be concerned about it fitting properly if I ever decided to use it.

Same seller had three sets of Carlucci shin guards up last week. It looks like one set sold, the other two have also been relisted.
Old Mon Mar 05, 2007, 01:07pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kylejt
Why? I'm not trying to be a wise***, I'm just curious.
Notice how snug the riddell sits on the clavical and on the front of the neck. I have a west vest and no matter how tight I tie it, it still sags down throughout the game. I have colleagues that have the riddell power and it fits the same as it does when the walk off the field as when they walked on the field. The carlucci is a great proctector as well, but I don't like the longer bulky shoulder pads. Also, I have worn the riddell power before and loved it, so I guess thats why I bid so much, I think its worth it. I have been trying to get one for 2 years! People complain that umpire equipment/apparel costs so much, but if you get the best and look good, it will help out in the long run.
Old Mon Mar 05, 2007, 04:09pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Notice how snug the riddell sits on the clavical and on the front of the neck. I have a west vest and no matter how tight I tie it, it still sags down throughout the game. I have colleagues that have the riddell power and it fits the same as it does when the walk off the field as when they walked on the field. The carlucci is a great proctector as well, but I don't like the longer bulky shoulder pads. Also, I have worn the riddell power before and loved it, so I guess thats why I bid so much, I think its worth it. I have been trying to get one for 2 years! People complain that umpire equipment/apparel costs so much, but if you get the best and look good, it will help out in the long run.
Not sure what your problem is. I have a Platinum and have worn a Gold, and they fit the same on me, from beginning to the end of a game. ??
Old Mon Mar 05, 2007, 08:13pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to nickrego
Quote:
Originally Posted by SanDiegoSteve
Joe West has been running this smack since before he sued to get the Riddell taken out of production. Because of Mr. West's lawsuit, umpires everywhere have been denied the superior protection that the Riddell Power afforded. This is also why I've never owned a West Vest (stupid little protest, really). At the time I traded my Power for some other gear, I did not know that they had been pulled off the market. The guy I traded it to did.
Don't blame Joe West for what happened to the Riddell. As someone who has designed and patented products that are currently in the market place, I have to back him up. Joe was simply protecting his intellectual property, and revenue source. I would do the same thing, if it came down to it.

If Riddell wanted to, they could have designed a product that would have been defendable against his patent. Believe me, it doesn't take much. My guess is they didn't have the stomach for the effort, or decided there wasn't enough profit in chest protectors.

I wonder if they tried to license their product from Mr. West ? You see, although a good product was lost (in some opinions), do you really think Riddell looked at it that way ? They could care less if the absolutely best chest protector that could ever be designed never makes it to the market, if they aren't the ones reaping the profit.

We on the other hand, WANT the opportunity to buy the perfect product, and do get PO'd when we can't. Been there also, so I feel for ya.

Nick
Old Mon Mar 05, 2007, 08:32pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim C
[B]
After I set all my straps to the correct tightness I then tape those connections with electrical tape. This means that the settings CANNOT possibly change during a game, or a day, or a week, or a season without cutting everything loose.
Good point as i do this myself- although i use athletic tape. Before last year, without doing this, i noticed my CP straps gradually wiggling more and more loose with every game, but it was very subtle. After taping my straps, my CP fits the same way everytime.
Old Mon Mar 05, 2007, 08:35pm
Official Forum Member

Thumbs up

Quote:
Also, I have worn the riddell power before and loved it, so I guess thats why I bid so much, I think its worth it.
Perfect answer.
Old Mon Mar 05, 2007, 10:03pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim C
"I have a west vest and no matter how tight I tie it, it still sags down throughout the game."

I get confused when I read this type comment.

After I set all my straps to the correct tightness I then tape those connections with electrical tape. This means that the settings CANNOT possibly change during a game, or a day, or a week, or a season without cutting everything loose.

" . . . carlucci is a great proctector as well, but I don't like the longer bulky shoulder pads . . . "

Since the Carlucci is handmade you can have those specific pads eliminated (as did I) or shaped differently.

I would suggest that you buy what works for you but I also suggest you can ensure proper fit of any protector with a small amount of hand work.

Regards,

Why is it that you have to add tape to get the perfect fit? Seems like a good chest protector would do all that without adjustment. The Riddell Power does that.
Old Mon Mar 05, 2007, 10:34pm
Official Forum Member

Fyi

Quote:
Originally Posted by nickrego
Don't blame Joe West for what happened to the Riddell. As someone who has designed and patented products that are currently in the market place, I have to back him up. Joe was simply protecting his intellectual property, and revenue source. I would do the same thing, if it came down to it.

If Riddell wanted to, they could have designed a product that would have been defendable against his patent. Believe me, it doesn't take much. My guess is they didn't have the stomach for the effort, or decided there wasn't enough profit in chest protectors.

I wonder if they tried to license their product from Mr. West ? You see, although a good product was lost (in some opinions), do you really think Riddell looked at it that way ? They could care less if the absolutely best chest protector that could ever be designed never makes it to the market, if they aren't the ones reaping the profit.

We on the other hand, WANT the opportunity to buy the perfect product, and do get PO'd when we can't. Been there also, so I feel for ya.
From Joe West himself:

Riddell had a dishonest employee who was involved in making the Powers. They ended up admitting they were infringing, and paid him for every one they sold.
Old Mon Mar 05, 2007, 10:58pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PWL
White athletic tape will show through your shirts.
I use black cloth tape. Not that the straps move, it's just to keep them from flapping. I just hope I'm done "growing".
Old Tue Mar 06, 2007, 10:46am
Official Forum Member

Tim C

What happened to his post where he said, "whatever" that was funny. It made me and everyone in the office laugh.
Old Tue Mar 06, 2007, 10:49am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PWL
White athletic tape will show through your shirts.
I use the black tape hockey players use for their sticks...blends right in w/the black straps.
Old Tue Mar 06, 2007, 02:05pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PWL
White athletic tape will show through your shirts. If you wear the cream or white shirt you need to wear a dark shirt underneath to keep the straps of the protector from showing. That big red "W" can be seen through any shirt in case you didn't know, also. (except red and who wears those)

Hmmm... weird, i just put my CP and all of my shirts (navy and powder), and i could not see either the straps or the red W that you claim shows through...

I have cliff keens, so maybe that's different from what you own which would show through.