The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Baseball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sun Feb 25, 2007, 02:58am
Official Forum Member

Exclamation Undergarments...

Is it best to wear something underneath the leg guards? What type of undergarments are best to try to keep you cool and dry?

Sorry if it sounds like a stupid question, just being a first year I'm trying to a grip on all that I need to buy.
Old Sun Feb 25, 2007, 03:40am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by blindofficial
Is it best to wear something underneath the leg guards? What type of undergarments are best to try to keep you cool and dry?

Sorry if it sounds like a stupid question, just being a first year I'm trying to a grip on all that I need to buy.
Check out the McDavid full length tights. They are the best, and very very comfortable (keep you cool in warm weather). Gerry Davis has a bunch on closeout, so you might be able to get some for a good price. If not, check out Honig's and Lester's Upstate Sports.
Old Sun Feb 25, 2007, 11:25am
Veteran College Umpire

Go to your local camping and cold weather gear store, and look for long tights. They are offered as "Cold" "Colder" and "Coldest". All wick moisture away from the body but keep you warm. Get one of the "Cold" (for warm days) and one of the "Coldest" for cold weather. If it's a typical Illinois day in March, wear both pair. Oh, and get black in case you split your pants!

JJ
Old Sun Feb 25, 2007, 12:36pm
Official Forum Member

McDavid tights with cup pocket, A82 at Honigs. Get some shirts while you are at it to keep the top half cooler.
Old Sun Feb 25, 2007, 01:54pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SAump
I prefer the high compression socks and my long sliding undershorts or more popular exercise compression undershorts to save money. This does leave both knees exposed. If that is a problem, knee braces will alleviate any and all problems and also provide much needed support throughout a long day behind the plate. This combination is much cheaper than full length tights.
High compression socks $10.00
Sliding shorts $25.00
Knee braces $20.00
or
McDavids $35.00

You do the math
Old Sun Feb 25, 2007, 01:59pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to nickrego
I wear the McDavid Full Length tights that have the Hexel Thigh Padding, along with thick Soccer Socks that come up just below the knee. I find the Soccer Socks stay up better than regular athletic Socks, and last more seasons.

Nick
Old Sun Feb 25, 2007, 03:41pm

High compression socks $10.00

Sliding shorts $25.00

Knee braces $20.00

Trying to figure out SAUmp's funky math...priceless!
Matthew 15:14, 1 Corinthians 1:23-25
Old Sun Feb 25, 2007, 04:05pm
M.A.S.H.

I wear McDavid's full length tights with the cup pocket. I also wear a mock McDavid shirt. Works great for me, keeps me cool.
Old Sun Feb 25, 2007, 04:23pm

When I first started, I used regular cotton long johns from Sears, because I saw in an umpire manual that Joe Brinkman wore them. When the tights came into vogue, I wore the Strongren brand for years. Then when I put on weight, I switched to a pair of McDavid's which lasted for years, until they completely wore out and began ripping. Last season I switched to the McDavid hexpad tights, which I like because of the thigh coverage.
Matthew 15:14, 1 Corinthians 1:23-25
Old Mon Feb 26, 2007, 09:16am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via MSN to IREFU2 Send a message via Yahoo to IREFU2
I wear underarmour tights under my pants and then long thick black socks. As far as under the shirt, I always wear a black underarmour short sleave tight shirt.
Old Mon Feb 26, 2007, 01:02pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to Rcichon
Quote:
Originally Posted by blindofficial

Wear something underneath but wear what you own first until you figure you actually want to continue Officiating.

When it's warm, I'll go for the knee high liners, thin and breatheable. If it's cold or chilly, then the full bottoms (McDavid) are in order.
Old Mon Feb 26, 2007, 01:36pm
Official Forum Member

Let's see:

McDavid Tights - $22
GD Black Ultimate Sox - $8.90
Total - $30.90

Source = Gerry Davis Sports
Old Fri Mar 02, 2007, 02:42am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to nickrego
Quote:
Originally Posted by SanDiegoSteve
When I first started, I used regular cotton long johns from Sears, because I saw in an umpire manual that Joe Brinkman wore them. When the tights came into vogue, I wore the Strongren brand for years. Then when I put on weight, I switched to a pair of McDavid's which lasted for years, until they completely wore out and began ripping. Last season I switched to the McDavid hexpad tights, which I like because of the thigh coverage.
You know, I find the McDavid tights wear/wash well for a few years, and then they just all of a sudden, fall apart when they reach the end of their service life (kind of like a car that goes out of warranty). Really strange, but I am very happy with their products.

Nick
Old Fri Mar 02, 2007, 11:40pm
Official Forum Member

Wore my tights today and I felt SEXY!
Old Sat Mar 03, 2007, 02:16am
Official Forum Member

Geez, SAump, ya trying to bankrupt the kid? Socks, sliders, braces.... Just buy the tights and be done with it. But wear something, the chaffing can be awful.
MLB umpires wear long johns even on the hot days. The sweat collects in the fabric and cools. As the body moves the cool moisture rubs against the legs.
I bought the UA cold wear a few years back but it doesn't stop the wind like ljs.