The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Baseball (https://forum.officiating.com/baseball/)
-   -   Undergarments... (https://forum.officiating.com/baseball/32185-undergarments.html)

blindofficial Sun Feb 25, 2007 02:58am

Undergarments...

Is it best to wear something underneath the leg guards? What type of undergarments are best to try to keep you cool and dry?

Sorry if it sounds like a stupid question, just being a first year I'm trying to a grip on all that I need to buy.

mrm21711 Sun Feb 25, 2007 03:40am

Quote:

Originally Posted by blindofficial
Is it best to wear something underneath the leg guards? What type of undergarments are best to try to keep you cool and dry?

Sorry if it sounds like a stupid question, just being a first year I'm trying to a grip on all that I need to buy.

Check out the McDavid full length tights. They are the best, and very very comfortable (keep you cool in warm weather). Gerry Davis has a bunch on closeout, so you might be able to get some for a good price. If not, check out Honig's and Lester's Upstate Sports.

JJ Sun Feb 25, 2007 11:25am

Go to your local camping and cold weather gear store, and look for long tights. They are offered as "Cold" "Colder" and "Coldest". All wick moisture away from the body but keep you warm. Get one of the "Cold" (for warm days) and one of the "Coldest" for cold weather. If it's a typical Illinois day in March, wear both pair. Oh, and get black in case you split your pants!

JJ

DG Sun Feb 25, 2007 12:36pm

McDavid tights with cup pocket, A82 at Honigs. Get some shirts while you are at it to keep the top half cooler.

Gaff Sun Feb 25, 2007 01:54pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by SAump
I prefer the high compression socks and my long sliding undershorts or more popular exercise compression undershorts to save money. This does leave both knees exposed. If that is a problem, knee braces will alleviate any and all problems and also provide much needed support throughout a long day behind the plate. This combination is much cheaper than full length tights.

High compression socks $10.00
Sliding shorts $25.00
Knee braces $20.00
or
McDavids $35.00

You do the math

nickrego Sun Feb 25, 2007 01:59pm

I wear the McDavid Full Length tights that have the Hexel Thigh Padding, along with thick Soccer Socks that come up just below the knee. I find the Soccer Socks stay up better than regular athletic Socks, and last more seasons.

SanDiegoSteve Sun Feb 25, 2007 03:41pm

High compression socks $10.00

Sliding shorts $25.00

Knee braces $20.00

Trying to figure out SAUmp's funky math...priceless!:)

tjones1 Sun Feb 25, 2007 04:05pm

I wear McDavid's full length tights with the cup pocket. I also wear a mock McDavid shirt. Works great for me, keeps me cool.

SanDiegoSteve Sun Feb 25, 2007 04:23pm

When I first started, I used regular cotton long johns from Sears, because I saw in an umpire manual that Joe Brinkman wore them. When the tights came into vogue, I wore the Strongren brand for years. Then when I put on weight, I switched to a pair of McDavid's which lasted for years, until they completely wore out and began ripping. Last season I switched to the McDavid hexpad tights, which I like because of the thigh coverage.

IREFU2 Mon Feb 26, 2007 09:16am

I wear underarmour tights under my pants and then long thick black socks. As far as under the shirt, I always wear a black underarmour short sleave tight shirt.

Rcichon Mon Feb 26, 2007 01:02pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by blindofficial

Wear something underneath but wear what you own first until you figure you actually want to continue Officiating.

When it's warm, I'll go for the knee high liners, thin and breatheable. If it's cold or chilly, then the full bottoms (McDavid) are in order.

ozzy6900 Mon Feb 26, 2007 01:36pm

Let's see:

McDavid Tights - $22
GD Black Ultimate Sox - $8.90
Total - $30.90

Source = Gerry Davis Sports

nickrego Fri Mar 02, 2007 02:42am

Quote:

Originally Posted by SanDiegoSteve
When I first started, I used regular cotton long johns from Sears, because I saw in an umpire manual that Joe Brinkman wore them. When the tights came into vogue, I wore the Strongren brand for years. Then when I put on weight, I switched to a pair of McDavid's which lasted for years, until they completely wore out and began ripping. Last season I switched to the McDavid hexpad tights, which I like because of the thigh coverage.

You know, I find the McDavid tights wear/wash well for a few years, and then they just all of a sudden, fall apart when they reach the end of their service life (kind of like a car that goes out of warranty). Really strange, but I am very happy with their products.

SAump Fri Mar 02, 2007 11:40pm

Wore my tights today and I felt SEXY! :p

MadCityRef Sat Mar 03, 2007 02:16am

Geez, SAump, ya trying to bankrupt the kid? Socks, sliders, braces.... Just buy the tights and be done with it. But wear something, the chaffing can be awful.
MLB umpires wear long johns even on the hot days. The sweat collects in the fabric and cools. As the body moves the cool moisture rubs against the legs.
I bought the UA cold wear a few years back but it doesn't stop the wind like ljs.