The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Baseball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Thu Feb 08, 2007, 01:17pm
Official Forum Member

Tricky call

Runner on second base (R2), nobody out, count 0-0: The fielders, for some reason, expect a bunt. That's why the first baseman has taken a position halfway between the mound and the first base foul line at about 50 feet distance from the batter (B1). Then, during the pitcher's delivery and while the runner from second is attempting a steal of third, the first baseman dashes in, and intercepts the pitched ball before it reaches the batter. He turns, and fires a perfect throw to the third baseman, who easily tags the runner three feet in front of the bag. What is the official result of this play?
Old Thu Feb 08, 2007, 01:33pm
Official Forum Member

Off the top of my head: balk. The pitcher released the ball but it didn't cross the foul lines.
Old Thu Feb 08, 2007, 01:36pm
Official Forum Member

That must be the slowest pitch, and/or the fastest first basemen, ever. I'd call "interference" on F3, for preventing the batter from hitting the pitch. DEAD BALL. Batter to 1B, R2 to 3B.

Bob
Old Thu Feb 08, 2007, 02:03pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ump29
Runner on second base (R2), nobody out, count 0-0: The fielders, for some reason, expect a bunt. That's why the first baseman has taken a position halfway between the mound and the first base foul line at about 50 feet distance from the batter (B1). Then, during the pitcher's delivery and while the runner from second is attempting a steal of third, the first baseman dashes in, and intercepts the pitched ball before it reaches the batter. He turns, and fires a perfect throw to the third baseman, who easily tags the runner three feet in front of the bag. What is the official result of this play?
TWP if there ever was one. Call it a balk based on 8.05a. With runners on base it is a balk when the pitcher makes any motion naturally associated with delivering the pitch and fails to make such. Award R2 3rd base, count is still 0-0 on the batter.
Old Thu Feb 08, 2007, 02:09pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
This situation is somewhat similar to situation #1 on the NFHS 2007 Baseball Rules Interpretations:

In this case, it's defensive obstruction on the batter by the firstbaseman. The ball is declared dead when touched by F3. R2 wil be awarded third base and the batter is awarded first base.

See NFHS case book ruling: 8-1-1 sit. G and case book ruling: 8-1-1, sit. L comment.

Last edited by Uncle George; Thu Feb 08, 2007 at 02:11pm.
Old Thu Feb 08, 2007, 02:52pm
Official Forum Member

I'd make an analogy to the situation where the runner takes off, and the catcher is in such a hurry to make a play, that he comes out and catches the ball in front of the plate...never letting the pitch cross the "hitting zone".

I'd apply the same penalty for the catcher coming out in front...to the OP's play.
Old Thu Feb 08, 2007, 04:05pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to TussAgee11
The batter has been violated as well at his attempt to hit the ball. There is more to this than just a "balk" ruling (it's not a balk, the pitcher didn't do anything unnatural).

Its sort of like CI as well. My deal with the FED ruling that Uncle George posted is that there may be some sort of declination of the penalty, like CI. Does FED say DDB? or just a dead ball?

Perhaps, we should let the play go until finished (what if F3 throws the ball into left field). I wouldn't be surprised if other rule sets allowed this play to finish before awards.

Don't have my casebooks at college, anyone want to do some research?
Old Thu Feb 08, 2007, 04:12pm
Official Forum Member

Its OBS. Batter was not permitted a chance to hit the ball.

Dead ball, B/R to first, R2 goes to 3B.
Old Thu Feb 08, 2007, 04:31pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lawump
I'd make an analogy to the situation where the runner takes off, and the catcher is in such a hurry to make a play, that he comes out and catches the ball in front of the plate...never letting the pitch cross the "hitting zone".

I'd apply the same penalty for the catcher coming out in front...to the OP's play.

Read 7.07 - it covers fielders as well as catchers.
Old Thu Feb 08, 2007, 10:26pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
First time poster, this is beyond third world play, it is another dimension entirely. Batter awarded 1B, stealing runner awarded 3B.
Old Fri Feb 09, 2007, 01:25am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Well this depends...was it a day game or night game?
Old Fri Feb 09, 2007, 07:05am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich Ives
Read 7.07 - it covers fielders as well as catchers.
From MLB.com: Rule 7.07: "If, with a runner on third base and trying to score by means of a squeeze play or a steal, the catcher or any other fielder steps on, or in front of home base without possession of the ball, or touches the batter or his bat, the pitcher shall be charged with a balk, the batter shall be awarded first base on the interference and the ball is dead."

I don't think the OP had a runner on third base.
Old Fri Feb 09, 2007, 08:15pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DG
First time poster, this is beyond third world play, it is another dimension entirely. Batter awarded 1B, stealing runner awarded 3B.
Hi, all.

The above sounds right to me, too. Thought I'd add the references (OBR).

2.00 - Interference (b - Defensive Interference)
- batter was prevented from attempting to hit pitch
- the ball is dead, unless a play is in progress (5.10(h), 6.08(c))

6.08 (c) - Penalty for defensive interference with batter
- batter entitled to 1st, without liability
- if a play is in progress, allow it to finish: the offensive manager may be entitled to an option on this play

7.04 (d) - Stealing runners are entitled to one base, without liability.

And yes, if this were instead a squeeze play, 7.07 would apply and this would be a balk, with all runners advancing, whether stealing or not!

Oh, and if I missed something here, someone please tell me (like anyone needs an invitation...)
Andrew