The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Baseball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed Jan 24, 2007, 11:54pm
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pingswinger
What do you wear underneath your chest protector when wearing a coat? I assume a navy blue long sleeve sweatshirt would be acceptable? I have never worn a plate coat so this is new to me.
I have a black UnderArmour long sleeve ColdGear turtleneck I wear in cold weather.
Old Wed Jan 24, 2007, 11:55pm
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bossman72
so this all goes UNDER your plate coat and the protector is exposed for all to see?
Ummm, yes. That's how the coat is worn.
Old Thu Jan 25, 2007, 12:39am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich Fronheiser
Ummm, yes. That's how the coat is worn.

Ok. I didn't know- which is why i asked. I wasn't trying to be a smart a$$. I've never seen anyone with a plate coat before (and i haven't payed close enough to the MLB umpires to know either).
Old Thu Jan 25, 2007, 12:52am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrm21711
Yes, this should be nothing new.

"Real" umpires would ignore Kylejt's friend who wears a powder blue turtleneck over the protector.
Oh, he's as real as it gets. LL to Double A MiLB, and everything in between. The powder blue turtleneck is a throwback to the sixties, where it was the standard. Hell, we've broken out the Elbecos and bowties too. The navy blue Honigs gets a bit tiresome, and since we're pretty much stuck with grey slacks, ya throw a wrinkle in now and again. And since we're both bosses of our respective organizations, we wear want we want.

Like I said, it sounds goofy, but this guy pulls if off and looks good doing it.
Old Thu Jan 25, 2007, 01:52am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kylejt
Oh, he's as real as it gets. LL to Double A MiLB, and everything in between. The powder blue turtleneck is a throwback to the sixties, where it was the standard. Hell, we've broken out the Elbecos and bowties too. The navy blue Honigs gets a bit tiresome, and since we're pretty much stuck with grey slacks, ya throw a wrinkle in now and again. And since we're both bosses of our respective organizations, we wear want we want.

Like I said, it sounds goofy, but this guy pulls if off and looks good doing it.
You should throw a photo up here on the board.
Old Thu Jan 25, 2007, 07:39am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Ok. I didn't know- which is why i asked. I wasn't trying to be a smart a$$. I've never seen anyone with a plate coat before (and i haven't payed close enough to the MLB umpires to know either).
It's okay, Bossman72. It's nice to see someone actually taking an interest in using a plate coat.

You simply gear up as normal but instead of putting on a shirt or a pullover, the last thing you put on is the plate coat. As a matter of fact, the WV symbol was originally designed to be plainly visible through the "V" of the plate coat! The line-up card & pen go in the breast pocket (or the inside pocket if you wish) and game balls are balanced between the left & right side pockets. I keep my plate brush in my right rear pants pocket whether I wear a plate coat or not.

A good, stiff garment brush takes care of cleaning the coat in between games because the only drawback to these coats is the are dry clean only! I send mine at the end of the summer leagues in August and again after the fall leagues in November. I usually don't need to go to the cleaners after the high school season unless it was an exceptionally wet season.
Old Thu Jan 25, 2007, 08:24am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RPatrino
Colt Commander, .45 in a Bianchi shoulder holster.
A man after my heart......
Mine would be a custom Caspian Commander with custom DeLfatti sharkskin IWB

Last edited by PFISTO; Thu Jan 25, 2007 at 08:30am.
Old Thu Jan 25, 2007, 05:26pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via Yahoo to Delaware Blue
Quote:
Originally Posted by PFISTO
Mine would be a custom Caspian Commander with custom DeLfatti sharkskin IWB
Seems like the Smith and Wesson Model 29 .44-caliber Magnum revolver would be a good choice. Go ahead Coach. Make my day.
Old Thu Jan 25, 2007, 06:26pm
Official Forum Member

Hey all,

How about anything that Tackleberry from the Police Academy movies would carry?!?!

LomUmp
Old Thu Jan 25, 2007, 07:02pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ozzy6900
A good, stiff garment brush takes care of cleaning the coat in between games because the only drawback to these coats is the are dry clean only! I send mine at the end of the summer leagues in August and again after the fall leagues in November. I usually don't need to go to the cleaners after the high school season unless it was an exceptionally wet season.

I'm surprised you don't send it in more often with all the dust flying around. At least they are navy/black so they hide the dirt well. I was thinking of getting one later in my umpiring career when i save up some money because i think they'd look sharp (and i'd be the only one in my assoc with one! haha).

If i do get one in the distant future, what color would you reccommend? Navy or Black?

Also, if you wear your plate coat, does that force your partner to wear the same color on the bases? In that case, i guess i should get navy since that's what everyone has.
Old Fri Jan 26, 2007, 12:07am
Official Forum Member

I purchased a plate coat from Gerry Davis last year and love wearing it. Looks very sharp and I am one of few in my association that has one.
Old Fri Jan 26, 2007, 01:28am
Official Forum Member

Exclamation

Both my plate coats came off of eBay, for less than one bill each. A +POS and a Fechheimer.

As for the smelly Under Armor, that's just a function of sweating and drying, over and over again. Or maybe the fans are right, and I do stink.
Old Fri Jan 26, 2007, 07:40am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
I'm surprised you don't send it in more often with all the dust flying around. At least they are navy/black so they hide the dirt well. I was thinking of getting one later in my umpiring career when i save up some money because i think they'd look sharp (and I'd be the only one in my assoc with one! haha).
That is why I suggested using a stiff garment brush between games

Quote:
If i do get one in the distant future, what color would you recommend? Navy or Black?
I suggest Navy first then get a Black if you wish. It depends a lot on your association, too. If you do FED games here in CT, we have to stay on the Navy side per the State Board.

Quote:
Also, if you wear your plate coat, does that force your partner to wear the same color on the bases? In that case, i guess i should get navy since that's what everyone has.
Your partner(s) can wear anything they want. The color of the plate coat has no bearing. I only own a Navy coat and many times (after FED season) my partners wear black or cream on the bases.

Now Tim C. will chime in and tell you that a Black coat would be better in that situation and he would be absolutely right. I just am not investing in another coat any more!
Old Fri Jan 26, 2007, 11:04pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to Rcichon
Talking

The Colt is Old School....you start with a bigger hole. In terms of causing leaks, bigger is better.
Old Mon Jan 29, 2007, 02:43am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to nickrego
Cool I don't understand it ?

Why in the world umpires don't wear a shirt over their CP when wearing a Plate Coat, I'll never understand ?

Isn't wearing a Coat, like dressing up for a formal occasion ?

So why look like a slob, with your equipment hanging out ?

Or is it the only chance we get to show off our equipment logo ? See, mine cost more than yours !

If we want our equipment to show, shouldn't we leave our fly un-zipped instead ?

Whenever I wear a jacket or coat, I always wear a standard shirt over my CP. Just like when I wear a Coat and Tie (collared shirt over my chest).

If for no other reason, what if I have to remove my jacket or coat ? I'm not going to work the game in my Intera-wear and CP only. Wear I live, the weather can change 20+ degrees during a game. Especially morning games. Starts out cold, then hits 80 degrees by the 6th inning.

Nick