LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Jan 15, 2007, 11:31pm
Official Forum Member

Long Island Fees

In Suffolk County, NY on Long Island:

Varsity: $104 each ump (2 umps)
JV: $ 85 each
JrH: $67.50
Fee and half for one ump. No travel fee.

Travel (Spring,Summer, and Fall): $45-$70 per ump per game depending on the age and league.

Ed H
Old Tue Jan 16, 2007, 12:11am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PWL
Last year, one game in Ennis was $70.00. Probably the same this year.
Yes, there are a couple of towns in the hinterlands that we get extra travel for, but the vast majority of schools are within that $14 to $18 travel range.
Old Tue Jan 16, 2007, 12:13am
Official Forum Member

I need to move to Long Island!

Hey Dave, I am actually moving from Knoxville, TN to Dallas, TX in August to attend Dallas Theological Seminary. My wife will be working but won't make that much, and we will need some extra cash for rent, tuition, gas, etc. I was planning on umpiring baseball and refereeing basketball (Not constantly since my studies will take up most of my time, but 5-12 games a week or something like that) to help with a little extra cash so it wouldn't be so tight on us and so I won't have to get some crappy 15-20 hr/wk. job making $8/hr.

Could you maybe email me and give me some more information on officiating there? Are $54-$58 the normal fees for all of Dallas high school baseball? What about summer, fall, small colleges, etc.? Also, some assignors names and numbers for both sports would be nice too. Thanks a lot man.

Luke ([email protected])
Old Tue Jan 16, 2007, 09:11am
Official Forum Member

Central SC

Central South Carolina:

Varsity games are a flat fee (no mileage):

The flat fee ranges from $45 to $60. It depends on the school's distance from Columbia, SC. If you umpire at a high school in Columbia it is $45. If you umpire at the schools most distant from Columbia (that are served by our association) its $60.

EACH game is worth that flat fee. That is if you work a double-header, you get two FULL game fees. There is no second game discount.
Old Tue Jan 16, 2007, 09:34am
Official Forum Member

Central New Mexico Fees

Looks like were in the middle to low end
Varsity 48
JV 30
Lower 25

There has been some discussion on raising rates and time limits on those middle school games. Mileage is paid for travel outside the city
Old Tue Jan 16, 2007, 09:35am
Official Forum Member

wow. I don't know what high school rates are for ohio, but i make $30 a game doing machine pitch baseball. I also make $45 just for U12 travel baseball. And there is no tavel involved since the complex is in my backyard. Varsity baseball must be outrageous here.
Old Tue Jan 16, 2007, 11:31am
Official Forum Member

"Varsity baseball must be outrageous here."

I wouldn't mind if they were a little bit more outrageous!

The Ohio central district pay rates compare with what others have posted for nearby midwestern states and other Ohio regions. I suspect that is as much due to the economics of the region rather than any issues of umpire availability or competence.

Generally, things cost more on the left and right coasts. The cost for sports officials there reflects that.

Compensation varies depending on which school district or league you're dealing with. We have a dozen different school districts in our area. Columbus city schools proper offer the lowest pay, while the suburban and private schools offer a bit more.

Here are high and low 2006 rates (I haven't yet seen the 2007 rate schedule):

(Low end) Columbus City League: $40 varsity (two man), $30 for JV and Middle School games, which are all one man.

(High end) OCC League (Pickerington, Gahanna, Reynoldsburg, etc.): $48 varsity, $39 JV, Freshmen and Middle School $35 (all of these are two man games).

All of the other leagues fall within this range, with most being closer to the high-end.

Last edited by BretMan; Tue Jan 16, 2007 at 11:35am.
Old Tue Jan 16, 2007, 05:30pm
Official Forum Member

Upstate SC

Varsity and JV pay the same rate:

$62 for plate
$55 for bases

All games are two-man crews. Playoffs are three-man crews, occasionally four-man crews, at least in my region.

DH means two FULL game fees. Playoffs are higher, about $5-$10 higher per round.

Last edited by scarolinablue; Wed Jan 17, 2007 at 11:35am.
Old Thu Jan 18, 2007, 10:34pm
Official Forum Member

Upstate SC

We get 60 for the plate and 55 for the bases varsity. I don't know what a JV game pays.

Clint Lawson
South Carolina
Old Fri Jan 19, 2007, 04:40pm
Official Forum Member

SW Kansas

Varsity baseball is 9.9/10 DH...

85-95/DH +.35/mi. Most every umpire has to travel out here, where baseball is few and far between.
Old Fri Jan 19, 2007, 07:03pm
Official Forum Member

Louisiana....

State determined fees (see http://www.lhsaa.org/sports/baseball...allby-laws.pdf)

Varsity game is $65 to be split among the 2 umpires (usually plate gets $35 and base gets $30). If a third umpire is used, that ump gets $30.

Each official gets $5 more for playoffs.

Mileage is to be negotiated between the official's association and the school.
Old Sat Jan 20, 2007, 04:38am
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
Originally Posted by scarolinablue
Varsity and JV pay the same rate:

$62 for plate
$55 for bases

All games are two-man crews. Playoffs are three-man crews, occasionally four-man crews, at least in my region.

DH means two FULL game fees. Playoffs are higher, about $5-$10 higher per round.
Not bad, but why is the base umpire worth $7 less?
Old Sat Jan 20, 2007, 07:58pm
Official Forum Member

I don't do this for the money, although I wouldn't do it for free. But I wouldn't work for peanuts either.
Old Sat Jan 20, 2007, 11:00pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rusty Gilbert
Louisiana....

State determined fees (see http://www.lhsaa.org/sports/baseball...allby-laws.pdf)

Varsity game is $65 to be split among the 2 umpires (usually plate gets $35 and base gets $30). If a third umpire is used, that ump gets $30.

Each official gets $5 more for playoffs.

Mileage is to be negotiated between the official's association and the school.
Ya'll don't get paid enough!
Old Sat Jan 20, 2007, 11:21pm
Official Forum Member

I make $30 for a friggen machine pitch game. And i make $45 for doing a U9 travel baseball game. I can't imagine doing a varsity game for next to nothing. I hope that works out for you though. That is something I would never do.