The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Baseball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sat Jan 13, 2007, 07:12pm
Official Forum Member

to cut or not to cut

How many of you guys who have the black west vest 3409 shin guards cut the black foot protector peice off?
Old Sun Jan 14, 2007, 12:40am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via Yahoo to umpduck11
Quote:
Originally Posted by LLPA13UmpDan
How many of you guys who have the black west vest 3409 shin guards cut the black foot protector peice off?
I did. It made no sense to leave it attached AND wear plate shoes with a
metatarsal plate.
Old Sun Jan 14, 2007, 04:36pm
Official Forum Member

Not sure we're talking the same shins, but I got a set w/ the silly metatarsal plates: left 'em on exactly ONE game. Beside clanking like "the Iron Giant works the plate" every time I ran, the blasted things had an annoying tendency to hang on my shoes somehow and push the guards up.
I have plate shoes w/ instep protection the dangles on the shins are almost as worthless as "bicep protectors" - I say cut 'em off.
Old Sun Jan 14, 2007, 09:37pm
Veteran College Umpire

I wore shin guards with the toe plate for one season (thought about that ounce of prevention thing), and decided at the end of that season that since they were cumbersome and I had a shoe plate anyway they were unnecessary. My lastest set of shinguards don't have the toe plate. I've worn them for two years and haven't missed the plate.

JJ
Old Sun Jan 14, 2007, 10:17pm
Official Forum Member

I have never owned a pair of plate shoes without metatarsal plates. I thought that was one feature that made them plate shoes. And, I don't use a metatarsal guard on my shin guards.
Old Mon Jan 15, 2007, 01:53am

I have always wondered why Wilson included the metatarsal flapper on the 3409 in their design to begin with. If someone were going to be investing in these high-dollar, professional quality shin guards, you would think they would be wearing plate shoes with built-in metatarsal plates. I just went with the Douglas shin guards, which I love because of their superb fit, comfort, and protection.
Matthew 15:14, 1 Corinthians 1:23-25
Old Mon Jan 15, 2007, 07:13am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SanDiegoSteve
I have always wondered why Wilson included the metatarsal flapper on the 3409 in their design to begin with. If someone were going to be investing in these high-dollar, professional quality shin guards, you would think they would be wearing plate shoes with built-in metatarsal plates. I just went with the Douglas shin guards, which I love because of their superb fit, comfort, and protection.
They make them so that the amateur bozos can go to the local work-boot store and grab the $29.95 steel toe special and go out and umpire LL level ball. Obviously, those of us who have a clue buy real Plate Shoes.
Old Mon Jan 15, 2007, 11:24am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ozzy6900
They make them so that the amateur bozos can go to the local work-boot store and grab the $29.95 steel toe special and go out and umpire LL level ball. Obviously, those of us who have a clue buy real Plate Shoes.
well, you're not calling me an amateur bozo, i own a REAL pair of plate shoes
Old Mon Jan 15, 2007, 01:55pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by ozzy6900
That is exactly my point, Ozzy. The bozos who go cheap on steel toed work boots usually do not invest $100+ on shin guards. The folks who usually go for the high-dollar shins, usually go for the high-dollar plate shoes too. Wilson should target the 3409's toward the serious umpire market, and design a new model sans the flap.
Matthew 15:14, 1 Corinthians 1:23-25