The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Baseball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Dec 18, 2006, 07:11am
Official Forum Member

Anyone realize how illogical some of these situations are It seems you guys added a few things into the equation. I interpreted it as 3 straight singles for that one. No where did it say the anyone had to be out. If they get three staight hits, (no outs), then thats the max. if they could get another hit, it would drive in a run.
Old Mon Dec 18, 2006, 08:52am
Official Forum Member

fakeump wrote:

"Anyone realize how illogical some of these situations are It seems you guys added a few things into the equation. I interpreted it as 3 straight singles for that one. No where did it say the anyone had to be out. If they get three staight hits, (no outs), then thats the max. if they could get another hit, it would drive in a run."

This ties for the dumbest post EVER on the internet.

DG wrote:

"You obviously know section 10 exists."

I am confused. These answers are rules issues not scoring issues. DG, I have never read one word of Rule 10 and never will.

Regards,

Last edited by Tim C; Mon Dec 18, 2006 at 08:55am.
Old Mon Dec 18, 2006, 12:52pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LLPA13UmpDan
Anyone realize how illogical some of these situations are It seems you guys added a few things into the equation. I interpreted it as 3 straight singles for that one. No where did it say the anyone had to be out. If they get three staight hits, (no outs), then thats the max. if they could get another hit, it would drive in a run.
Oh, my.

Try to follow along Mr. Little League, I'll type slowly.

The question asked for the MOST hits without scoring a run. You answered "three". Other posters have demonstrated how six hits could be allowed without scoring a run.

Now, then, regardless of outs, is three equal to or greater than six?

In the real world, the answer is "no." Therefore, "three" is an incorrect answer. Remember, we are looking for the MOST hits.

You bring to mind the old saying, "It is best to remain silent and be thought a fool than to open your mouth and remove all doubt."
Old Mon Dec 18, 2006, 02:45pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DG
Good one.

How about this one. How can you have 3 outs recorded on a play with a batted ball without the defense touching it? I think I saw this one here so there will be some folks who know it, but it's a good brain teaser.
In addition to the other answers presented:

Bases loaded. All three runners abandon.
Old Mon Dec 18, 2006, 03:50pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GarthB
Oh, my.

Try to follow along Mr. Little League, I'll type slowly.

The question asked for the MOST hits without scoring a run. You answered "three". Other posters have demonstrated how six hits could be allowed without scoring a run.

Now, then, regardless of outs, is three equal to or greater than six?

In the real world, the answer is "no." Therefore, "three" is an incorrect answer. Remember, we are looking for the MOST hits.

You bring to mind the old saying, "It is best to remain silent and be thought a fool than to open your mouth and remove all doubt."
Dear Garth and Tim C., You missed my point. This is exactly why umpires and coaches misinterpret rules. Now, Question was whats the most hits a team can have with out scoring a run- 3, bases would be loaded. Number of outs is irrlevent, so why add in that runners would have to get out. Completly added something in the question that is not there. Three is not an incorrect answer. 1+1+1=3<6 but however the answer 6 isnt 100% correct, but would be 100% correct if outs were part of the equation. Gee, i sound like a math teacher who is teaching mathematical problems.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob jenkins
In addition to the other answers presented:

Bases loaded. All three runners abandon.
I love that answer. This must have happened in the game that Tim C. and Garth decided to coach in.

Last edited by LLPA13UmpDan; Mon Dec 18, 2006 at 03:53pm.
Old Mon Dec 18, 2006, 04:07pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Dear Garth and Tim C., You missed my point. This is exactly why umpires and coaches misinterpret rules. Now, Question was whats the most hits a team can have with out scoring a run- 3, bases would be loaded. Number of outs is irrlevent, so why add in that runners would have to get out. Completly added something in the question that is not there. Three is not an incorrect answer. 1+1+1=3<6 but however the answer 6 isnt 100% correct, but would be 100% correct if outs were part of the equation. Gee, i sound like a math teacher who is teaching mathematical problems.

No, you sound like a student who doesn't understand the question.

The question asked for the MOST hits. It neither stipulated no outs or three outs, it asked for the most hits.

Can six hits be allowed without a run scoring? Yes.
Is six the most that can be allowed without scoring? Yes.
Is six more than three? Yes.

Six is the correct answer and always has been in the, at least, 30 years that this question has been around. And strangely, you are the only one I've ever met who doesn't understand the question or the answer. Even at this site, in this thread, everyone else understood the correct answer.

God, I feel badly for your teachers.

Last edited by GarthB; Mon Dec 18, 2006 at 04:45pm.
Old Mon Dec 18, 2006, 04:22pm
Official Forum Member

ok Garth,

You made your point. But there is info added to the answer that stretches the truth a little.

Now back to the original post.
Old Mon Dec 18, 2006, 04:23pm
Official Forum Member

Hmm,

Dan, it is my opinion that you are being intentionally obtuse, or have a learning disability, or are just being a dickhead.

Here's why:

Your answer of "three" is not a "trivia" type answer. There are three bases so everyone would know there could be three hits to fill the bases with no runs scoring. That is a given . . .

Your contuned defense of the answer of "three" proves you really aren't smart enough to post here . . . or you are a fake and just turning up the heat (BTW, you have confused me on your age: here you say you are 15 but on the ABUA site you say you're 19).

I just think you want to see how much people will accept from you.

Regards,

Last edited by Tim C; Mon Dec 18, 2006 at 07:01pm.
Old Mon Dec 18, 2006, 04:35pm
Official Forum Member

Tim, im not on the ABUA site. your confusing me with someone else. Im 15.
Old Mon Dec 18, 2006, 04:49pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
ok Garth,

You made your point. But there is info added to the answer that stretches the truth a little.
Nothing was added. The question required knowledge of baseball.

Quote:
Now back to the original post.
You mean this?

Ok, in the off season here, i have a lil' brain teaser for you all. I know the answer to this, do you?

Yes, I do.

Last edited by GarthB; Mon Dec 18, 2006 at 07:02pm.
Old Mon Dec 18, 2006, 06:54pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim C
.Your continued defense of the answer of "three" proves you really aren't smart enough to post here . . . or you are a fake and just turning up the heat (BTW, you have confused me on your age: here you say you are 15 but on the ABUA site you say you're 19).
Tim,

I think this is the way it is:

Dan is from Pennsylvania, is 15, uses words that don't exist, such as "supposively," and is trying to fit in here, and is in need of our guidance.

Canadaump6 is from Canada (Dan spells "color" like an American, while CU6 spells it "colour" like a Canadian), is 19, tries to act intellectual and educated, and is a major troll, opening up long-dead threads.

They aren't the same person. It's sort of like Beatlemania. Not the Beatles, but an incredible simulation!
Old Mon Dec 18, 2006, 08:36pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
The question was:

In one inning, what are most hits a team can have without scoring a run?

The phrase "in one inning" is all you need to read to know that your interpretation is BS. The correct answer of 6 is the correct, reasoned answer to the question, as asked. Your interpretation reveals a SERIOUSLY flawed ability to apply analytical thinking to the simplest of problems.

You might want to consider trading in Little League umpiring for summer school classes.
Old Mon Dec 18, 2006, 09:29pm
Veteran College Umpire

Quote:
Originally Posted by DG
You obviously know section 10 exists.
Isn't section 10 what Corporal Klinger tried to get out of Korea on? No, that was section 8.... never mind...

JJ
Old Mon Dec 18, 2006, 09:46pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to BigUmp56 Send a message via Yahoo to BigUmp56
Quote:
Originally Posted by PWL
And he also goes to university. I'm sure he stops at the student centre from time to time, too. You are the Dick Tracy of the Internet.......
At least Tracy follows his new designate.

Tim.

Last edited by BigUmp56; Mon Dec 18, 2006 at 09:50pm.
Old Mon Dec 18, 2006, 09:51pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim C
DG wrote:

"You obviously know section 10 exists."

I am confused. These answers are rules issues not scoring issues. DG, I have never read one word of Rule 10 and never will.
10.05(e) indicates that a fair ball striking a runner is scored a hit. Is this covered somewhere else in the rules?.