The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Baseball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue Oct 02, 2001, 10:45am
Official Forum Member

We all know the various myths that exist in baseball. IMO, the reason they exist is because coaches / players and fans are not as educated compared to our counterparts in the NFL and NBA.

In PRO Football and in Basketball, the referee explains to everyone what the call is and the number of the player who committed the foul.

If something strange does happen, the officials meet as a unit, and eventually the refree will explain the call. Not true in baseball, especially on those wierd type plays.

In baseball, more often than I think we want, we are left with announcers to explain the call or interpret a rule and we all know what that means and had many a thread on this subject.

I would like to see baseball officials start explaining their calls. IMO, this would serve the following purposes.

1. An umpire Him/her self would become more educated as well because they now have to explain the call so it behooves one to study the rule book and ask questions.

2. Some of the various myths would start to go away

3. The game would have more connsistency to it.

I am not talking about routine type plays, ie; batter is out by mile. Let's take a common myth The hands are part of the bat

In order to rid this myth the umpire should give more of an explanation other than award B1 first base. Whenever a batter gets hit in the hands The call would go something like this.

TIME! batter was hit in the hands and is awarded first base.
Coach: "Blue the hands are part of the bat"
Blue: "hands are part of the body not the bat"

After a while, this myth would go away, because when we explain the rule to 2 coaches, eventually word gets around.

I know the games last on average over 3 hours, but explaining certain rules would make the game better and educate the public.

The other alternative which I doubt the networks would go for is to have an ex umpire (ala Steve Palermo) in the booth to explain the rules.

Too many times, we (the public) are left pondering as to what is happening out there and what the rule is. Also, as the rules are explained and people start finding out that (as J/R indicates) there are some 75-100 discrepancies in the book already, then some action might take place like rewrite them so that they can be understood.

If our fellow officials in football and basketball can explain the call to the public why can't the men / women in blue do the same?

Pete Booth
Old Tue Oct 02, 2001, 12:17pm
Veteran College Umpire

Talking

What??? You don't want to accept the rule interpretations and umpire insight from Harold Reynolds??? I think if he, and commentators like him, want to make such comments, their respective networks should send THEM to umpire school! I'm half serious....the other half thinks they shouldn't make the comments in the first place - but they have to justify their salaries, I guess...

GBA
Old Tue Oct 02, 2001, 10:42pm
Administrator

I understand where you are coming from Peter but I can assure you that basketball and football coaches and fans are just a clueless as baseball fans. Nonetheless, you make some very good points that apply equally well to all sports.
Ohio Assn. of Basketball Officials
International Assn. of Approved Bkb. Officials
Ohio High School Athletic Association
Toledo, Ohio
Old Wed Oct 03, 2001, 09:11am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by PeteBooth

In order to rid this myth the umpire should give more of an explanation other than award B1 first base. Whenever a batter gets hit in the hands The call would go something like this.

TIME! batter was hit in the hands and is awarded first base.
Coach: "Blue the hands are part of the bat"
Blue: "hands are part of the body not the bat"

Pete, in amateur ball I frequently make the explanation to the coach much like you exampled. However, you forgot "the rest of the story" that ensues. That part being that the coach wants to "argue" that the hands are, indeed, part of the bat. Where have you been all your life, Blue, that you don't know that? Etc, etc,...........

Beyond that, Pete, is the fact the coaches will argue judgement calls that they know are the correct calls. Sometimes they will do that merely as an attempt to intimidate---hoping you will lean the next judgement to their favor. Sometimes they will do that to keep their players from arguing, thereby keeping their players in the game at risk of their own ejection---not necessarily improper coaching at the time. Many times they feel the call was blatantly missed. They see the call with their hearts, while umps see it with their eyes. And of course, sometimes the call WAS MISSED, and that's why they want to argue.

Most coaches at amateur levels are volunteers, so don't expect them to know the rules as well as you or any PAID participant does. They are usually attempting to do the best job they can with the knowledge they have.

As you point out, Pete, most sport is leaning more to allowing "decision by committee" on certain controversial calls. I have no problem asking a partner on any call I have made PROVIDED:
---1) I have doubt in my mind as to the accuracy of my original call, AND
---2) I feel a reversal of the call, should it be made, would not have affected any continued play that ensued thereafter, AND
---3) I feel my partner was in a reasonable position that he may have had a better angle to have seen something I may have missed (i.e. pulled foot, swipe tag, etc).
My standard of making all 3 of those factors be present highly limits the occurrences whereby I will seek help from a partner.....but it doesn't eliminate the possibility.

I think the arrogance of the old time official is certainly becoming secondary to the crew's attempt to get the call right, even through decision reversal, if the situation is one that allows it. You cannot let yourself get bombarded with such continued requests when not legitimate, and need to put a stop to any illegitimate requests that occur. While some say getting help will lead to such bombardment, I feel if it is handled appropriately, it will lead to better officiated games without undermining the authority of the official. When done properly, it shows "crew coordination" to assist each other in getting the call right. That crew coordination can be admired and respected by those who understand the game. It already exists in other sports without detriment to the officials.

Most importantly, getting help on a call IS NOT ILLEGAL per the rules, as some have so vehemently stated and supported.

Just my opinion,

Freix
Old Tue Oct 09, 2001, 02:39am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to blarson
You make the call !

They tried this years ago.

ABC had a spot on Monday Night Baseball called You Make the Call (btw, the football one ran longer).

Phoenix Communications (the guys who bring you TWIB among other shows) contemplated bringing it back in the late eighties, but nothing ever came of it.

Wow what a part time gig that would have been previewing possible clips for You Make the Call.

Bob
Old Tue Oct 09, 2001, 08:38am
Official Forum Member

Re: You make the call !

Quote:
Originally posted by blarson

Wow what a part time gig that would have been previewing possible clips for You Make the Call.

Bob
Probably too tough to do for baseball. They would obviously want to use the MLB for their clips, and too often at that level.......the call isn't made!!!

Ultimately, everyone would soon learn the correct answer to all questions........
"NO CALL".....................LOL

Just my opinion,

Freix