View Single Post
Old Wed Oct 03, 2001, 09:11am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by PeteBooth

In order to rid this myth the umpire should give more of an explanation other than award B1 first base. Whenever a batter gets hit in the hands The call would go something like this.

TIME! batter was hit in the hands and is awarded first base.
Coach: "Blue the hands are part of the bat"
Blue: "hands are part of the body not the bat"

Pete, in amateur ball I frequently make the explanation to the coach much like you exampled. However, you forgot "the rest of the story" that ensues. That part being that the coach wants to "argue" that the hands are, indeed, part of the bat. Where have you been all your life, Blue, that you don't know that? Etc, etc,...........

Beyond that, Pete, is the fact the coaches will argue judgement calls that they know are the correct calls. Sometimes they will do that merely as an attempt to intimidate---hoping you will lean the next judgement to their favor. Sometimes they will do that to keep their players from arguing, thereby keeping their players in the game at risk of their own ejection---not necessarily improper coaching at the time. Many times they feel the call was blatantly missed. They see the call with their hearts, while umps see it with their eyes. And of course, sometimes the call WAS MISSED, and that's why they want to argue.

Most coaches at amateur levels are volunteers, so don't expect them to know the rules as well as you or any PAID participant does. They are usually attempting to do the best job they can with the knowledge they have.

As you point out, Pete, most sport is leaning more to allowing "decision by committee" on certain controversial calls. I have no problem asking a partner on any call I have made PROVIDED:
---1) I have doubt in my mind as to the accuracy of my original call, AND
---2) I feel a reversal of the call, should it be made, would not have affected any continued play that ensued thereafter, AND
---3) I feel my partner was in a reasonable position that he may have had a better angle to have seen something I may have missed (i.e. pulled foot, swipe tag, etc).
My standard of making all 3 of those factors be present highly limits the occurrences whereby I will seek help from a partner.....but it doesn't eliminate the possibility.

I think the arrogance of the old time official is certainly becoming secondary to the crew's attempt to get the call right, even through decision reversal, if the situation is one that allows it. You cannot let yourself get bombarded with such continued requests when not legitimate, and need to put a stop to any illegitimate requests that occur. While some say getting help will lead to such bombardment, I feel if it is handled appropriately, it will lead to better officiated games without undermining the authority of the official. When done properly, it shows "crew coordination" to assist each other in getting the call right. That crew coordination can be admired and respected by those who understand the game. It already exists in other sports without detriment to the officials.

Most importantly, getting help on a call IS NOT ILLEGAL per the rules, as some have so vehemently stated and supported.

Just my opinion,

Freix