The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Baseball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue Oct 31, 2006, 02:33pm
Official Forum Member

Question on 2006 Umpire Exam

Here is an actual question from a Canadian 2006 Level 3 Umpire Exam that I found:

R1, R2. No outs The batter hits a shot to the outfield gap. R2 scores easily. R1 is obstructed rounding third and is thrown out by a mile at home. The catcher then throws out BR trying to leg out a triple. This play should stand.

False. 'Time' should be called when the play is being made at home. The umpire will have to determine whether or not he thinks that runner would have scored if there had been no obstruction. Either way the BR should go back to second.

At the very least the question is ambiguous because it doesn't indicate whether BR1 has already touched third before the obstruction, and at worst if the assumption is made that third WAS touched then it is clearly wrong.

Rule 7.06 clearly indicates that the R1 should automatically be given home on this obstruction, "The obstructed runner shall be awarded at least one base beyond the base he had last legally touched before the obstruction."

Another question asks: "R2. One out. The pitcher has started his delivery when the batter steps out of the batter's box. The pitcher stops his delievery. This is a balk." False. The rulebook is very clear on this. Because both the batter and pitcher are doing things they shouldn't be, this is considered 'nothing' and the play should be started from scratch.

I don't claim to be an 'expert' on the the OBR but I'm never heard of a "do over" or "nothing" Does anyone know the rule in the rulebook which would make this "very clear"???
Old Tue Oct 31, 2006, 02:39pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tibear
Here is an actual question from a Canadian 2006 Level 3 Umpire Exam that I found:

R1, R2. No outs The batter hits a shot to the outfield gap. R2 scores easily. R1 is obstructed rounding third and is thrown out by a mile at home. The catcher then throws out BR trying to leg out a triple. This play should stand.

False. 'Time' should be called when the play is being made at home. The umpire will have to determine whether or not he thinks that runner would have scored if there had been no obstruction. Either way the BR should go back to second.

At the very least the question is ambiguous because it doesn't indicate whether BR1 has already touched third before the obstruction, and at worst if the assumption is made that third WAS touched then it is clearly wrong.

Rule 7.06 clearly indicates that the R1 should automatically be given home on this obstruction, "The obstructed runner shall be awarded at least one base beyond the base he had last legally touched before the obstruction."
The question is assuming that R1 was obstructed before a play was being made on him. Thus, it's "type b" obstruction, and there is no minimum award. The answer, given the assumption, is correct.

Quote:
Another question asks: "R2. One out. The pitcher has started his delivery when the batter steps out of the batter's box. The pitcher stops his delievery. This is a balk." False. The rulebook is very clear on this. Because both the batter and pitcher are doing things they shouldn't be, this is considered 'nothing' and the play should be started from scratch.

I don't claim to be an 'expert' on the the OBR but I'm never heard of a "do over" or "nothing" Does anyone know the rule in the rulebook which would make this "very clear"???
It's almost word for word out of one of the comments in the rule book. If you're using a LL book, then it might not have the comment
Old Tue Oct 31, 2006, 02:42pm
Official Forum Member

tiBear:

There are three "do overs" that I know of:

The situation as described in your post when both cause the issue: another is an umpire starts a new inning and on the first pitch the batter doubles, at that time the umpire recognizes that the right fielder had not been on the field during the play and finally: with a runner on base the defensive teams errors and throws the ball into DBT . . . the second baseman and pitcher try to do do a "hidden ball trick" -- as F1 steps on to the pitcher's plate and the umpire calls: "Play" the second baseman produces the ball and tags the runner.

Under all three of these situations the play is a "do over" by rule.

Regards,
Old Tue Oct 31, 2006, 02:47pm
Official Forum Member

Interesting, you learn something new everyday.

thanks
Old Tue Oct 31, 2006, 05:30pm
Official Forum Member

OBR online

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob jenkins
The question is assuming that R1 was obstructed before a play was being made on him. Thus, it's "type b" obstruction, and there is no minimum award. The answer, given the assumption, is correct.

It's almost word for word out of one of the comments in the rule book. If you're using a LL book, then it might not have the comment
If after the pitcher starts his windup or comes to a “set position” with a runner on, he does not go through with his pitch because the batter has stepped out of the box, it shall not be called a balk. Both the pitcher and batter have violated a rule and the umpire shall call time and both the batter and pitcher start over from “scratch.”

OBR, comment to Rule 6.02(b)

As far as I know, tibear works Baseball Canada games, not Little League.
Old Tue Oct 31, 2006, 06:38pm
Official Forum Member

OBR, comment to Rule 6.02(b)

"As far as I know, tibear works Baseball Canada games, not Little League."[/QUOTE]

Well, in that case, "If after the pitcher starts his windup or comes to a “set position” with a runner on, he does not go through with his pitch because the batter has stepped out of the box, it shall not be called a balk. Both the pitcher and batter have violated a rule and the umpire shall call time and both the batter and pitcher shall go to the locker room and share some MOLSONS and forget about the rest of the game.
Old Tue Oct 31, 2006, 08:10pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim C
the second baseman and pitcher try to do do a "hidden ball trick" -- as F1 steps on to the pitcher's plate and the umpire calls: "Play" the second baseman produces the ball and tags the runner.
Isn't this a balk, and not a "do over?"
Matthew 15:14, 1 Corinthians 1:23-25
Old Tue Oct 31, 2006, 08:13pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via Yahoo to umpduck11
Quote:
Originally Posted by SanDiegoSteve
Isn't this a balk, and not a "do over?"
Tee's sit implied a dead ball, by PU calling "Play". The ball has to be dead
for the PU to put it back into play. It cannot be a balk after a dead ball, because the ball cannot be made "live" again unless F1 has it in his possesion.
Old Tue Oct 31, 2006, 08:20pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by umpduck11
Tee's sit implied a dead ball, by PU calling "Play". The ball has to be dead
for the PU to put it back into play. It cannot be a balk after a dead ball, because the ball cannot be made "live" again unless F1 has it in his possesion.
Oh yeah, duh....it must be the sugar rush from all the Butterfingers.
Matthew 15:14, 1 Corinthians 1:23-25
Old Tue Oct 31, 2006, 08:48pm
Official Forum Member

Sds:

I was careful to note that the ball went to DBT:

This means that an umpire cannot put the ball into paly without the ball being in F1's possesion.

The play, as agreed to by e-mails to Evans, Roder and Yeast, is that the umpires errored in putting the ball in play and is, therefore, a "do over."

Hope this helps.

Regards,
Old Tue Oct 31, 2006, 08:58pm
Official Forum Member

Tibear the obstruction rule is covered very clearly in the Baseball Canada Intrepretations #4. In fact the ruling covers the exact question word by word.

http://66.241.210.162/files/Canadian...ule%20Book.doc
Old Wed Nov 01, 2006, 11:20am
Official Forum Member

Back to the type b obs

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob jenkins
I understand the award, or actually the lack thereof, of the obs in this sit - but I don't understand why "time" was called when the play was being made at home and the batter sent back. I thought we were supposed to wait until no further playing action, then call time and award as appropriate on the obstructed runner, but allow the out to stand (in the case).
THanks!
Old Wed Nov 01, 2006, 11:53am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via Yahoo to UmpJM
Cool

LLBob,

The following is from the MLBUM under the discussion of "Type B" Obstruction:

Quote:
NOTE (1 ): If a runner is obstructed under this second section of the obstruction rule, play is to proceed to completion-even if it results in a play later being made on the runner who was previously obstructed. However, if such a play on a previously obstructed runner results in that runner actually being tagged out before reaching the base to which he would have been awarded because of the obstruction, the umpire shall in that case call "Time" at the moment the runner is tagged out. The umpire shall then impose such penalties that will nullify the obstruction, which will include, of course, the obstructed runner being awarded the base to which he would be entitled because of the obstruction.
Now, this is a little different from what the actual text of the rulebook says ("...the play shall proceed until no further action is possible."), but that is the proper mechanic.

If you read the Baseball Canada rulebook linked in a previous post, on pp. 11-12 there is a subtle distinction in their interp that differs from the MLBUM; i.e., they say kill the play when the obstructed runner is played upon, and make no explicit distinction as to whether the runner is safe or out, or, if out, whether out before or after he attained his "protected to" base. Under OBR, there is no "mandatory minimum" award on a Type B Obs. The way TiBear's 1st question was worded (out by a mile at home) would lead me to think that the Obstructed runner was NOT protected to home. Therefore, under the OBR MLBUM interp quoted above, I would NOT have killed the play since the Obstructed runner was legitimately out, even with the Obstruction, and I would have left the ball live and allowed the 2nd out on the BR. Under OBR. Maybe Baseball Canada wants a different ruling.

JM
Old Wed Nov 01, 2006, 05:29pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoachJM
Therefore, under the OBR MLBUM interp quoted above, I would NOT have killed the play since the Obstructed runner was legitimately out, even with the Obstruction, and I would have left the ball live and allowed the 2nd out on the BR. Under OBR. Maybe Baseball Canada wants a different ruling.JM
Coach -

Thanks for the reply...given the OP I would have done the exact same thing, which is why I was confused when Bob J said the test answer was correct. I understand the need to kill the play if the obs runner was tagged out when I would have awarded home - but like you said, since he was out by a mile...I didn't understand why we should kill it...thanks again, Bob
Old Wed Nov 01, 2006, 05:51pm
Official Forum Member

Yes actually Baseball canada does want a different ruling. They actually changed the wording of the question about 1 week after the test was originally released addign the bit about the Runner was thrown out by a mile. Personally, I never had enough info on whether or not there was an award or not, which is what they wanted. In the Baseball Canada interps, once the runner is played on the Play is over. Inforce the obs to the level you are going to and Make the call. Also I may be wrong, but Rounding third tells me he obtained third and was heading home.

"It isn't enough for an umpire merely to know what he's doing. He has to look as though he know what he's doing too." - National League Umpire Larry Goetz

"Boys, I'm one of those umpires that misses 'em every once in a while so if it's close, you'd better hit it."

Last edited by 3appleshigh; Wed Nov 01, 2006 at 05:54pm.