The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Baseball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Mar 21, 2005, 11:43pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to jason181988 Send a message via Yahoo to jason181988
Someone has stated that the West Vest is hot, heavy, and difficult to maneuver in. I was sold on it til then. What do you think of that?

The toughest call an umpire has to make is not the half-swing; the toughest call is throwing a guy out of the game after you blew the hell out of the play.
-Johny Rice, umpire
Old Tue Mar 22, 2005, 01:34am
Official Forum Member

It's not particularly heavy, nor hot. I don't know what kind of maneuvers are restricted in this rig, but certainly nothing a normal umpire would encounter. I wouldn't play golf in though.

My Cooper UMP1000 is cooler, my former Douglas WV was thinner and less restrictive, and I could probably play 18 in my old Diamond. But the Platinum is the best of all worlds, IMO. Plus, it's freakin' bulletproof.

Maybe it's dependent on size. I'm 6'1" and 185lb.

Your mileage may vary.
Old Tue Mar 22, 2005, 07:01am
Official Forum Member

I've had a WVP for several years. I wouldn't trade it for anything else!
Old Tue Mar 22, 2005, 10:16am
Official Forum Member

The design of the Platinum protects best those umpires using the scissors stance. The Gold protects best those umpires using heel-toe and box stances.
Old Tue Mar 22, 2005, 10:57am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by GarthB
The design of the Platinum protects best those umpires using the scissors stance. The Gold protects best those umpires using heel-toe and box stances.
Just curious: how's that? I mean, there are obviously some variation in the designs: do they make much difference in protection, depending on what stance you use?

FWIW, I have a Gold, which I love ['tho the shoulder padding is a bit thicker than I see a need for, given the hard shell]. I recently switched from the scissors [knee issues]: be interesting if I also improved the performance of my gear in doing so.
Old Tue Mar 22, 2005, 11:37am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by cbfoulds
Quote:
Just curious: how's that? I mean, there are obviously some variation in the designs: do they make much difference in protection, depending on what stance you use?

FWIW, I have a Gold, which I love ['tho the shoulder padding is a bit thicker than I see a need for, given the hard shell]. I recently switched from the scissors [knee issues]: be interesting if I also improved the performance of my gear in doing so.
Check them out side by and side, paying particular attention to the placement of the "shoulder pads."

Which do you think will protect you better when working the heel-toe or box stance and which will work better when the body in angled forward as in the scissor stance?

[Edited by GarthB on Mar 22nd, 2005 at 12:06 PM]
Old Tue Mar 22, 2005, 01:08pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to johnSandlin Send a message via Yahoo to johnSandlin
I have a WVP myself, and I think it works just as well as my original WV while using the heel-toe/box stance. Never the less, I would not recommend any other protector to an umpire other a WV.

It is the best chest protector out there for any level umpire.
Old Tue Mar 22, 2005, 02:27pm
Official Forum Member

Hmmmm,

John commented:

"It is the best chest protector out there for any level umpire."

How about a Ridell Power?

How about a Carlucci?

How about an original Douglas.

I think you meant to say, "In my opinion . . ."

OR

"From those that I have seen . . ."

Old Tue Mar 22, 2005, 03:50pm
Official Forum Member

Garth,
When looking to upgrade chest protectors at the end of last year, I was looking at various models, including the West Vest Platinum. Someone had mentioned that they were wary of the WVP because the shoulder pads seemed like they were more on top of the shoulders and that the WVP wouldn't protect an umpire properly in that position.

At first I has those same thoughts. Then I really started to evaluate my stance, in terms of how far forward my shoulders faced when I was in my plate stance. I was actually a bit surprised to find out that the tops of the shoulders are actually further forward than I thought. my old protector didn't cover the tops of my shoulders when in my stance.

In trying out both a heel toe and scissors stance in the mirror, I think that the difference in forward rotation of the shoulders between the two stances is nominal. Now I grant you that I don't use a scissors stance, but I think that my casual experiment is fairly accurate.

I think most people would be surprised how much of the top of the shoulders is exposed when they are in position to call strikes. I ended up purchasing a Honig's K1 Elite. It covers the tops of my shoulders nicelyand I think it offers plenty of protection while being very light. I not sure there is much difference in the two stances. IMHO. Your mileage may vary.

Quote:
Quote:
Originally posted by cbfoulds
Quote:

Check them out side by and side, paying particular attention to the placement of the "shoulder pads."

Which do you think will protect you better when working the heel-toe or box stance and which will work better when the body in angled forward as in the scissor stance?

[Edited by GarthB on Mar 22nd, 2005 at 12:06 PM]
Well I am certainly wiser than this man. It is only too likely that neither of us has any knowledge to boast of; but he thinks that he knows something which he does not know, whereas I am quite conscious of my ignorance. At any rate it seems that I am wiser than he is to this small extent, that I do not think that I know what I do not know. ~Socrates
Old Tue Mar 22, 2005, 04:32pm
Official Forum Member

I have gone through a plethora of chest protectors, including WV Platinum, Honigs K-1, Pro-9, and Riddell Power, among many others, and I always keep coming back to Old Faithful, my West Vest Gold.

As Garth noted, the Gold's shoulder pads are more "front-mounted" where as the Platinum's are more "top-mounted." Also, I did experience a modest amount of restriction of movement with the Platinum that I don't notice with the Gold. For some reason, a shirt was harder to put on over the Platinum than the Gold.

But of all the chest protectors I've tried, ranked on comfort, protection, and durability, nothing compares to my West Vest Gold.
Old Tue Mar 22, 2005, 08:48pm
Official Forum Member

Interesting. I have a WVGold but find the pec pads really effect mobility (my previous Douglas did no have them). I was thinking about picking up a Platinum to solve this, but sounds like that may not do it.
Old Tue Mar 22, 2005, 09:09pm
Official Forum Member

Re: Hmmmm,

Quote:
Originally posted by Tim C

I think you meant to say, "In my opinion . . ."

From the master of the conclusory statement, a plea that someone else identify a statement as an opinion. Weird.