The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Baseball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sat Oct 21, 2006, 07:55pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LMan
Ahh, the heart of the matter. You posted an irrelevant thread, it was not treated with the genuflection that you felt it deserved....so you have been harboring this perceived slight for a YEAR, just to come back and troll a bit and tell the board how to conduct business.
And, under a new name.
Old Sun Oct 22, 2006, 11:09am
Official Forum Member

Hmmmmm ........................

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canuck
Last year I posted a legitimate message on this board. It was a very interesting question about baseball that could have led to some fascinating discussion. The thread received no chance because it did not directly relate to the practice of umpiring and because it related to a softball game. Following some brief periods of idiocy, I decided to delete the whole thread.
You posted your "legitimate" message, a year ago, on the BASEBALL officiating board.

You state that your "fascinating" question related to baseball.

Your next statement said it did not relate to umpiring and, in fact, was attributable to a softball game.

And, just now, you're wondering why the people here who wish to dicuss baseball-related officiating issues took umbrage with you ?

Why did you not post your stellar observations on the softball forum, where it might have been embraced with the fervor you so incredibly desire ?

Quote:
One thing I find quite astonishing is the attitude of some of the "Internet umpires" on this board and their use of the term "rat". Presumably this word relates to players and managers, but could justly be used to define any "non-umpires".
I personally do not feel that all managers, coaches, players, and fans are "rats", but there are factions out there that the term fits like a glove.

Quote:
Another thing that fascinates me is the refusal of umpires to learn anything about scorekeeping, or the infamous rule 10. I would presume that you are all out there because of a love for the game, and for other altruistic reasons, and not to use the job as a way to stroke any ego you may have. With that in mind, why not learn everything their is to know about baseball?
I love the game of baseball.

When I am on the field, I am UMPIRING, not scorekeeping.

I am there, to quote your favorite arbiter, T. Alan, for the power and the money.

Quote:
Finally, I ask, how could an assistant coach not exist? They are people that exist on the baseball field that should be treated with respect. Is your status out there so high that this lowly rat does not deserve the time of day?
I do not ignore anyone on the field.

I do not treat everyone the same.

My conduit with a team is the manager.

Assisants are there to pat the kids on the back, kick 'em in the arse, and tell them to turn left. There is nothing there that says "talk to the umpire".

I do my level best to avoid having conversations with anyone during a game, unless absolutely necessary.

In general, nothing good comes from such banter.

Back to trolldom for you !

"I never called a balk in my life. I didn't understand the rule" - Ron Luciano
Old Sun Oct 22, 2006, 10:07pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via Yahoo to waltjp
Knowing scorekeeping? If the field didn't have a scoreboard I wouldn't know the score. Balls, strikes and outs.