The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Football
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed Mar 28, 2001, 02:05pm
Official Forum Member

EDITED!

As someone on another board pointed out, the penalty occured during a loose-ball play (ball is still considered kicked). Penalty would be enforced according to all-but-one. Assess penalty and rekick or take results of the play.

Just seeking confirmation on this

Maybe this has been discussed and I missed it. Or maybe I read it and the content simply hasn't soaked in yet, but here goes.

K's free kick lands at R's 5 yardline where it is then muffed by R1 several times. As K10 is about to try to recover the free kick, R1 intentionally kicks the ball into his own endzone. Is this a touchback? I think it is because force is not a factor on KICKS going into R's endzone? Does force also include the NEW FORCE of the kick?

R1 would get a penalty but save possession so Team R would get the ball 1st and 10 on the 2 1/2 yardline.
We're also going to have an UC on the coach because he doesn't understand the rule. So it will be Team R's ball 1st and 10 from the 17 1/2 yardline.

I'm trying to understand as much about the kicking game as I can. It is a small part of the game but the consequences of missing a call on a kick are huge.

[Edited by mikesears on Mar 28th, 2001 at 01:19 PM]
Old Wed Mar 28, 2001, 06:56pm
Official Forum Member

Re: EDITED!

Quote:
Originally posted by mikesears
As someone on another board pointed out, the penalty occured during a loose-ball play (ball is still considered kicked). Penalty would be enforced according to all-but-one. Assess penalty and rekick or take results of the play.

Maybe this has been discussed and I missed it. Or maybe I read it and the content simply hasn't soaked in yet, but here goes.

K's free kick lands at R's 5 yardline where it is then muffed by R1 several times. As K10 is about to try to recover the free kick, R1 intentionally kicks the ball into his own endzone. Is this a touchback? I think it is because force is not a factor on KICKS going into R's endzone? Does force also include the NEW FORCE of the kick?

R1 would get a penalty but save possession so Team R would get the ball 1st and 10 on the 2 1/2 yardline.
We're also going to have an UC on the coach because he doesn't understand the rule. So it will be Team R's ball 1st and 10 from the 17 1/2 yardline.

I'm trying to understand as much about the kicking game as I can. It is a small part of the game but the consequences of missing a call on a kick are huge.

[Edited by mikesears on Mar 28th, 2001 at 01:19 PM]

If the penalty is declined then yes, it is a touchback and R would get the ball at their 20 yard line since this would be the results of the play. However, the kick had not ended yet when it was illegally kicked by R, therefore it was a foul committed by the defense during a looseball play. This penalty would be enforced from the previous spot (LOS) and K would get to replay the down unless enforcement of the penalty left them beyond the line to gain, in which case it would be first down.
Old Fri Mar 30, 2001, 11:52pm
Official Forum Member

Re: Re: EDITED!

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Schmidt MJ
[B]
Quote:
Originally posted by mikesears

If the penalty is declined then yes, it is a touchback and R would get the ball at their 20 yard line since this would be the results of the play. However, the kick had not ended yet when it was illegally kicked by R, therefore it was a foul committed by the defense during a looseball play. This penalty would be enforced from the previous spot (LOS) and K would get to replay the down unless enforcement of the penalty left them beyond the line to gain, in which case it would be first down.
This being a free-kick down (original scenario), there would be no line-to-gain. Just a rekick - unless it was a free-kick following a fair catch, in which case A(K) would have the option of putting the ball in play by snap. Of course, if this were a scrimmage kick the line-to-gain would be considered.
Old Sat Mar 31, 2001, 01:10pm
Official Forum Member

Middleman,

You're right! I'm not sure how I got off track. This was a free kick scenario so there would be no line to gain. K would simply re-kick as you stated. Thanks!

Martin