The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Baseball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Thu Oct 12, 2006, 04:21pm
Official Forum Member

I noticed that Wendlestedt still uses the scissors stance (at least, I think that's what I saw). Old habits die hard, I guess.
Old Thu Oct 12, 2006, 04:27pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbyron
I noticed that Wendlestedt still uses the scissors stance (at least, I think that's what I saw). Old habits die hard, I guess.
It's a pretty relaxed scissors that keeps his head considerably higher than most guys who work the scissors. It's almost more of an EXTREME heel-toe stance (with a foot or so between the heel and the toe).
Old Thu Oct 12, 2006, 10:16pm

Quote:
You say this as if there is something wrong with the stance. I thought he looked pretty sharp in it. I used the same exact "more relaxed scissors" type stance from around '93 to '04, and really liked it alot. If I go back to doing HS Varsity again next year, I think I will re-visit that stance.

It puts much less strain on the back, legs, and neck area than does the traditional, more upright scissors.

I've heard this stance referred to as "the Tank" before by some pro school grads. I never thought that sounded so good, so I never adopted that description.
Matthew 15:14, 1 Corinthians 1:23-25
Old Fri Oct 13, 2006, 07:35am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SanDiegoSteve
You say this as if there is something wrong with the stance.
Isn't there? As I understand it, MiLB has banned it, "relaxed" or otherwise. Do you suppose that was whimsy on their part? Arbitrary exercise of authority?

As for Wendelstedt's stance being "relaxed," I noticed that as well. For my part, a primary goal of a plate stance is to get my head in position to call the pitch. If the "relaxed" scissors raises my head (to eliminate neck strain), then it risks taking me out of position. Although I might be able to achieve some equilibrium point where my neck is not too strained and I'm not too out of position, this stance does not work for me.

Others, naturally, will do as they see fit.
Old Fri Oct 13, 2006, 10:10am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Isn't there? As I understand it, MiLB has banned it, "relaxed" or otherwise. Do you suppose that was whimsy on their part? Arbitrary exercise of authority?
IIRC, it was because their insurance company was pissed there were so many back/neck injuries because of it. Although I would think later on they will have quite a few knee claims from the box.
Old Fri Oct 13, 2006, 11:34am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattmets
IIRC, it was because their insurance company was pissed there were so many back/neck injuries because of it. Although I would think later on they will have quite a few knee claims from the box.
Given the long history of the "box" and stances similar, and the fact that more MLB umpires have employed that stance than the scissors, if it caused near as many problems as the scissors, you'd have heard about it before now.
Old Fri Oct 13, 2006, 12:56pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by GarthB
Given the long history of the "box" and stances similar, and the fact that more MLB umpires have employed that stance than the scissors, if it caused near as many problems as the scissors, you'd have heard about it before now.
I used various styles of "scissors" for many years, and had no physical discomfort or injury whatsoever. In fact, the stance provided relief for my back, which I have only found elsewhere in the GD stance, which I'm not all that crazy about.
Old Fri Oct 13, 2006, 01:44pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
....I've heard this stance referred to as "the Tank" before by some pro school grads.
I think you mean the "taint" - It taint the box and it taint the scissors. It's some variation (sp) of the two mixed together.
Old Fri Oct 13, 2006, 02:14pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sal Giaco
I think you mean the "taint" - It taint the box and it taint the scissors. It's some variation (sp) of the two mixed together.
Yeah, I thought that might have been what they were saying, but I wasn't sure. I can't get my body into a traditional scissors because my back won't do that reverse "C" thing like the early Johnny Miller. This is my version:
Old Fri Oct 13, 2006, 02:24pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by PWL
The way Hunter was hiding behind the catcher they should call it "The Wuss".
I've seen a lot of MLB umpires hiding behind the catcher lately, in any kind of stance (except Wally Bell's kneeling). The catcher moves for an outside pitch, there they go moving out there with him and hiding.

If I was getting the money they are, I'd be proudly set up in the slot, totally exposed and willing to take the shot. Besides, they are sitting behind professional catchers. These guys don't let the ball hit the umpire very often. Man, I'd be in the scissors and never flinch once if I had that luxury.
Old Fri Oct 13, 2006, 04:55pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sal Giaco

heh heh heh heh...He said "taint."
Old Sat Oct 14, 2006, 08:10pm
Official Forum Member

Fox lets Lyons go

Not sure if anyone was aware of the incident during Game 3. Here are the details.

http://sports.yahoo.com/mlb/news?slu...v=ap&type=lgns

Thought Detroit fans would pause.

Last edited by SAump; Sat Oct 14, 2006 at 08:13pm.
Old Sat Oct 14, 2006, 08:57pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by SAump
Not sure if anyone was aware of the incident during Game 3. Here are the details.

http://sports.yahoo.com/mlb/news?slu...v=ap&type=lgns

Thought Detroit fans would pause.
Wow, what a weak reason to get rid of Lyons. People need to lighten up a bit. It was a joke, for cryin' out loud! What a bunch of overly sensitive wusses at Fox. And he didn't even know that the guy in the stands was blind on that one, either. You can't say anything anymore without offending somebody somewhere. But insult fat people, oh, be my guest...open season 24/7.
Old Sat Oct 14, 2006, 09:17pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Wow, what a weak reason to get rid of Lyons. People need to lighten up a bit. It was a joke, for cryin' out loud! What a bunch of overly sensitive wusses at Fox. And he didn't even know that the guy in the stands was blind on that one, either. You can't say anything anymore without offending somebody somewhere. But insult fat people, oh, be my guest...open season 24/7.

People at Fox are "overly sensitive wusses?" Bill O'Rielly? Sean Hannity? The network of "fair and balanced" is overly sensitive. Oh, my.

Imagine firing someone who has a history of publicly insulting Jews for observing their religious holidays. I mean what the heck, it's not like they're Christians. Wow.

And he didn't know that kid was nearly blind. He just knew he was wearing really thick and strange glasses, so it was only natural to make fun of him. I mean, who wouldn't?

And now he's canned over a remark questioning the honesty of Latinos? Makes no sense. C'mon, everybody knows that Latinos can take a ribbing about stealing wallets.

And, not only all of this, but the poor schmuck get's fired before he got to his "A"material. Man. I'm tempted to write a very pointed letter to Fox. I still haven't heard his opinion of Black players or Italian players or Asian players yet.

Say, reminds me, stop me if you've heard this one....two Jews, a mentally retarded kid, a pregnant Latino and the emperor of Japan are in a row boat......

In all seriousness, Steve, the rules are different when one is broadcasting on the public airwaves.

Last edited by GarthB; Sat Oct 14, 2006 at 09:39pm.
Old Sat Oct 14, 2006, 09:46pm

I didn't expect you to agree. Fox's regular programming is totally liberal-biased, while their news network is conservatively-biased. I'm sorry, I missed the memo on who it was that publicly insulted Jews. I am a very pro-Israel Christian, as the Bible commands us to be, so I don't know anyone that is a true "Christian" who would dare say anything like that. Perhaps a Skinhead, or other such radical group, but not any mainstream Christians that I know of.

I don't have to be politically correct. I don't see things that way. If Pinella opened it up by speaking Spanish (which I speak fluently, as I have a Spanish Minor from SDSU) on an English speaking broadcast, in a country where English is the official language (at least the voters said so), then he is inviting comments, no matter how stupid or insensitive, from his colleagues.

They said that he butchered the Spanish language because of his conjugation of the word hablar, by saying "hablaing Espanol." Well, trust me, I live among many Mexican-Americans, and illegal aliens from Mexico, and they butcher both Spanish and English with regularity.

Can't Latinos take a ribbing about stealing wallets? It seems like Paul Rodriguez and Carlos Mencia constantly make stereotypical remarks about their own race in their "jokes." Richard Pryor, Eddie Murphy, and Red Foxx all made careers about poking fun at their own, and every other race under the sun. Oh, it's not funny if a white guy says it? Bullshizle.

You wouldn't be so cavalier about firing people if it was your butt on the line. You might think that leniency was in order, and just be given the chance to apologize on the air, and move on. I'm sure glad I don't work for you, or you would have to fire me every week.

It's not just Fox, how about CBS?

I was against the firing of Jimmy "The Greek" Snyder for his remarks about black athletes, which, while true, were deemed insensitive.

I was against the firing of Ben Wright for his remarks about females' breasts and their relationship to the golf swing, which, while true, were deemed insensitive.

I was against the firing of Gary McCord for his remarks about the greens at Augusta National being bikini waxed, while, while true, were deemed offensive to Hootie and the Blowhards at the Masters.

It is my opinion that the only two taboos in speech should be:

1) yelling "fire" in a crowded building, and

2) threatening any act of terrorism.

This is just my opinion, and not one bit of it was done with sarcasm.