The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Baseball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sun Oct 08, 2006, 11:11pm
Official Forum Member

The WS crew comes out of the 24 assigned to work the division series, with some consideration given to performance in those series. Look for McClelland, Hirschbeck, and Winters. Bell and Poncino will get rotated in for their first WS each. A few in the DS round can't do WS because they haven't done a CS yet (Emmel, Welke, Diaz, others). But a sixth would come from whatever is left.
Old Mon Oct 09, 2006, 01:33pm
M.A.S.H.

This would be my crew:
Tim McClelland (cc)
Gerry Davis
Eric Cooper
Ted Barrett
Ed Rapnano
Greg Gibson

Highly unlikely, since it would be Barrett's, Cooper's, and Gibson's first WS.

So, out of the 24 DS umpires, 7 of them do not have a CS (O-Nora, Diaz, Emmel, Vanover, Welke, Foster, Randazzo), therefore they are out. Hirschbeck hasn't been since 95, so I'm counting him in. Davis worked the WS in 2004, Marsh and Rapnano worked it in 2003.

So, here is my real shot:
Tim McClelland (cc)
John Hirschback
Tim Tschida
Mike Winters
Larry Poncino (most ML years without a WS)
Wally Bell (second most ML years without a WS)

Edited after I did a little homework.

Last edited by tjones1; Mon Oct 09, 2006 at 02:21pm.
Old Mon Oct 09, 2006, 07:29pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to johnSandlin Send a message via Yahoo to johnSandlin
I think MLB is going away from the old apparent way of assigning the world series (having to have a certain number of DS's and a certain number of LCS's on their resumes) to assigning the most deserving umpires because of their work during the season and their performance during their DS assignment.

That is why I thought Hirschbeck might be the CC, and Barrett along with Marquez would get their first WS assignment.

I think tiger49 has the best crew prediction for the upcoming world series. I do not see Cooper and Gibson getting because of problems they had during their DS in the field and their plate games, but we shall see what the assignments are announced.
Old Mon Oct 09, 2006, 07:52pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnSandlin
I think tiger49 has the best crew prediction for the upcoming world series. I do not see Cooper and Gibson getting because of problems they had during their DS in the field and their plate games, but we shall see what the assignments are announced.
I didnt see all of both games...what were the problems they had?
Old Mon Oct 09, 2006, 09:05pm
Official Forum Member

Cooper definitely had consistency problems...but I thought Greg had a decent game last night.
Old Tue Oct 10, 2006, 12:15am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnSandlin
I think MLB is going away from the old apparent way of assigning the world series (having to have a certain number of DS's and a certain number of LCS's on their resumes) to assigning the most deserving umpires because of their work during the season and their performance during their DS assignment.
There isn't any "going away from" involved. The method of assigning umpires to special events (All-Star game and post-season games) is spelled out in the collective bargaining agreement between MLB and the World Umpires Association. Not too long ago, rotation alone pretty much determined who got what. Now, while that plays a part, performance during the season comes into play. Also, in a discussion I had last week with a friend of mine who worked last year's World Series, he told me that there is no absolute requirement that a WS umpire must work a division series.
Old Tue Oct 10, 2006, 12:43am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by UMP25
There isn't any "going away from" involved. The method of assigning umpires to special events (All-Star game and post-season games) is spelled out in the collective bargaining agreement between MLB and the World Umpires Association. Not too long ago, rotation alone pretty much determined who got what. Now, while that plays a part, performance during the season comes into play. Also, in a discussion I had last week with a friend of mine who worked last year's World Series, he told me that there is no absolute requirement that a WS umpire must work a division series.
You know Angel?!
Old Tue Oct 10, 2006, 11:41pm
Official Forum Member

Hardly. Someone else with whom I attended umpire school. In fact, he was our top student of that class.
Old Wed Oct 11, 2006, 07:45pm
Official Forum Member

It shouldn't be too long until we now who got the series as they have already been told. You can see more on the selection process here. http://mlb.mlb.com/NASApp/mlb/mlb/of...vent_selection
Old Wed Oct 11, 2006, 07:51pm

Quote:
Hardly. Someone else with whom I attended umpire school. In fact, he was our top student of that class.
Can I play too? It has to be one of two, so I will guess Jeff Nelson.
Matthew 15:14, 1 Corinthians 1:23-25
Old Wed Oct 11, 2006, 08:31pm
Official Forum Member

It was never meant to be a guessing game, Steve. I simply didn't want to specify my friend's name, mainly because I'm sure others here have friends in MlB or MiLB, and none of us wish to make this into some sort of "my @#$% is bigger than your @#$% contest." Personally, I don't consider it a big deal; rather, I'm just glad my class had several standout guys--and instructors, for that matter.
Old Wed Oct 11, 2006, 09:38pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via ICQ to Cub42
Well Said

Quote:
It was never meant to be a guessing game, Steve. I simply didn't want to specify my friend's name, mainly because I'm sure others here have friends in MlB or MiLB, and none of us wish to make this into some sort of "my @#$% is bigger than your @#$% contest." Personally, I don't consider it a big deal; rather, I'm just glad my class had several standout guys--and instructors, for that matter.
For some reason, there seems to be a lot of venom directed at Milb, Mlb, or people who know these guys. They are not villians or primadonnas. Of course in any occupation there is going to be people who are full of themselves. One thing everybody needs to remember, is it is long road to success and more times than not, you can be sent packing without an explanation.
Old Wed Oct 11, 2006, 11:35pm
Official Forum Member

Is there a line in Las Vegas on who will umpire the Series? Given the numbers of umpires to select vs. teams to choose from I would be better off to speculate on who will play in the Series..
Old Thu Oct 12, 2006, 12:03am

Quote:
Well, you vehemently denied that it was Angel, so it could only be one of two possibilities. You mentioned that this person worked the World Series last year, so without name dropping, you sure narrowed it down to 6 umpires, and 3 of those are eliminated by their age. If you didn't expect people to guess, perhaps you shouldn't have mentioned that he worked the Series last year.
Matthew 15:14, 1 Corinthians 1:23-25
Old Thu Oct 12, 2006, 12:11am
Official Forum Member

I never figured my simple response as "vehemently" denying it was Angel. In fact, my response was intentionally meant to poke a little fun at those who turn red at the very mention of his name.