The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Baseball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sat Sep 30, 2006, 11:28pm
Official Forum Member

advice for the 90'

when i worked the 90' for the first time, I was taught to play the B&C positions close to the pitchers mound. How do you guys work it? I feel im too close, and in the way of the SS throwing the ball to 1st. Should i play it back more, closer to the infield dirt?
Old Sat Sep 30, 2006, 11:56pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to bobbybanaduck
i think you should not use the word play anymore.
Old Sun Oct 01, 2006, 12:22am
Official Forum Member

Too close?

Quote:
Originally Posted by LLPA13UmpDan
when i worked the 90' for the first time, I was taught to play the B&C positions close to the pitchers mound. How do you guys work it? I feel im too close, and in the way of the SS throwing the ball to 1st. Should i play it back more, closer to the infield dirt?
I've seen umpires play too far back more often than too close.

I prefer to work closer to the mound also, ((in B)
and I never feel that I'm in the way of F6. The only time that should come into play would be if F6 charges a slow grounder and on that play i have plenty of time to move a couple of steps toward the mound.

When I use position C (usually in 3man mechanics), I prefer to stay back. Some of that is because of F6 and also I feel that I have a much better look at the play at second from that position.

Play around with it to see what works best for you.

Thanks
David
Old Sun Oct 01, 2006, 12:35am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to BigUmp56 Send a message via Yahoo to BigUmp56
I don't know about the rest of you, but we train our umpires to not move left or right if a fielder asks them to move. We ask that they take a step toward the plate.

Tim.

Last edited by BigUmp56; Tue Oct 03, 2006 at 05:28pm.
Old Sun Oct 01, 2006, 08:03am
Official Forum Member

Infield diagram

Each individual has his own preference. I was taught to start about halfway from the mound to 2B and then make an adjustment. Visualize the correct position using the following diagram.

http://www.nfhs.org/core/contentmana...%20diagram.pdf

It should help determine where you prefer to stand. I asked a similar question and GarthB pointed out that there is no exact place to stand.

Quote:
There is no one spot for the C position. Game situations come into play when setting up on the grass. I've set up deep, shallow, left a little, right a little....

Last edited by SAump; Sun Oct 01, 2006 at 08:06am.
Old Sun Oct 01, 2006, 08:32am
Official Forum Member

No matter where you start, you will be in the way of some throw from F6 to F3 if you don't move. It's just a starting point -- you have to move slightly differently on every play to end up in the correct position and to not be in the way.
Old Sun Oct 01, 2006, 09:46am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigUmp56
I don't know about the rest of you, but we train our umpires to not move left or right if a fielder asks us them to move. We ask that they take a step toward the plate.

Tim.
There's nothing magical about positioning with such inflexible precision. One or two steps either way is not going to have any significant impact on BU's responsibilities. It's an easy courtesy to extend and is just one more example of knowing which end of the stick to pick up. And it surprises me that an entire association thinks it's a big enough issue to actually provide "training" that addresses it.
Old Sun Oct 01, 2006, 09:55am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to BigUmp56 Send a message via Yahoo to BigUmp56
If you're positioned properly you accomplish what the fielder wants by taking a step or two forward just as well as you would moving laterally.

Tim.
Old Sun Oct 01, 2006, 07:09pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by PWL
I don't really care what the fielder wants. They have always asked me to move to one side or the other. I simply stated sure, but I will only go so far which is a step to either side. That have two legs, so that readily solves the problem. I have never had an infielder to ask me to move forward. I fail to see what you are getting at.
What he is getting at is that umpires are taught to move a step forward or backward, instead of sideways when asked to move "one left" or "one right" by an infielder. Moving left or right potentially puts one out of position. If you move a step forward or backward, you clear the fielder's vision without affecting your position adversely.

You should care what the fielder wants, by the way. You want them to make their plays, and you sure don't want to be in their way. The shortstop and second baseman are playing the game, you are just umpiring it. Don't get in their way, and let them do their jobs.
Matthew 15:14, 1 Corinthians 1:23-25
Old Sun Oct 01, 2006, 10:15pm
Official Forum Member

I am trying to remember the last time F6 asked for a step, and I can't. Usually, it's R2 who asks for a step right. I have always given the players the step if they ask for it, and have never been out of position on the next play because of it, at least that I can remember.
Old Mon Oct 02, 2006, 07:58am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PWL
If I'm standing in front of an infielder, how is moving forward or backwards going to clear the fielder's vision?
I have to admit, I'm a bit confused by that mechanic myself. If I'm on a direct line between, say, F4 and the plate, and I move along that line, I'm still goping to be in F4's way. I don't think, but I haven't tested it, that moving one step is going to change my perceived size relative to the plate either.

I think, though, that the point is that we all (?) agree that the umpire should move a step or so to accomodate the players.
Old Mon Oct 02, 2006, 08:35am
Official Forum Member

Bob:

It is now trained at higher level clinics that when an infielder, or runner, asks an umpire in "C" to move:

"Hey Blue can you move to your left?"

Is for the umpire to move forwards (that means towards the plate NOT forward towards the pitcher) and that moves the umpire from a direct line between the fielder (runner) and F1.

This new mechanic accomplishes two things:

1) It moves the umpire foward which begins to open the angle to third base and gets him out of a direct line and DOES NOT move him into a disadvantagous position further from the potential play at third and,

2) Hard to believe but, much like the Gerry Davis Stance, the "size" prospective of the umpire also changes. i.e. the umpire appears smaller in your rear view mirror.

Bob, I was very skeptical of this when it was first mentioned to me . . . I now are a firm beleiver in the mechanic.

Regards,
Old Mon Oct 02, 2006, 03:47pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by PWL
Tee,

Moving is a request I seldom get, but if I do move it is toward a baseline as you suggested. I generally give a glance as to where I am in relation to fielders and runners. I try to stay in a that vee as I described earlier, halfway between the mound and the edge of the dirt.
First off, Tee did not suggest "moving toward a baseline." What he did say was that he agreed with me, that you take a step straight forward toward the plate, staying on the same line between the edge of the mound and the plate.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim C
It is now trained at higher level clinics that when an infielder, or runner, asks an umpire in "C" to move:

"Hey Blue can you move to your left?"

Is for the umpire to move forwards (that means towards the plate NOT forward towards the pitcher) and that moves the umpire from a direct line between the fielder (runner) and F1.
I was saying the same thing, not suggesting to move towards the pitcher. You can move a step to either side if you want, but I was saying, as Tee did, that modern training teaches the "step forward" mechanic.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PWL
Per my perspective if an umpire is properly set with his hands on his knees, the fielder should have the sight lines required to begin with.
You are right in that if an umpire is properly set with his hands on his knees, then the fielder and the runner should have no sight line issues. I am very seldom asked to move also. I try (hard as that is ) to make myself as small as possible when in the infield, so as not to impair anybody's field of vision.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PWL
From A I have better view of pick off and C I'm a step closer to the attempted steal.
Did you mean "B" when you said "A"? Trying to picture it in my mind. Thanks.
Old Mon Oct 02, 2006, 04:34pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigUmp56
I don't know about the rest of you, but we train our umpires to not move left or right if a fielder asks us them to move. We ask that they take a step toward the plate.

Tim.
Good idea, because we are more important than the game. Players need to play around us.
Old Mon Oct 02, 2006, 04:37pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcrowder
Good idea, because we are more important than the game. Players need to play around us.
Well, that's what's being taught these days. Deal with it.