The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Baseball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Sep 18, 2006, 08:13pm
Official Forum Member

Thumbs down NFHS certified or MLB Certified... it matters not!

The by-laws of my HS association prohibit a member from working a game with someone not a member of the association. Yep, I could be working a 9-10 year old fall game alone and have Gerry Davis offer to help me out on the bases and I'd have to say, "Sorry Gerry, you're not a member of MY board." How goofy is that?
Old Mon Sep 18, 2006, 08:28pm
Official Forum Member

It's a scrimmage game. Play.

Quote:
Originally Posted by harmbu
FED rules; high school varsity game.
Last week I had a road game. At game time, one umpire entered the field alone. The coach of the home team explained that only one umpire had shown up. He said that he had someone in the stands who helps them occasionally that he would be fair if I wanted him to help. My other option was to go with one umpire (who happened to be calling his first game ever). I was not comfortable with either of these options. What are my options in a situation like this? I will tell later what I chose and what happened.
Coach gave you two options. Both sound reasonable to me. You're there, so you might as well take the first option. It's much better to have two umps. Allow the UIC to take all questions. It would be better for you to recognized what you may be dealing with in the future. He will be assigned to work your games sooner or later.

JV games only pay ONE fee, so I prefer to have someone other than me cover the bases. I may work alone if I know the game pay is fee and a half for solo ump. I still prefer the experienced VOLUNTEER on the field to take those long distance calls for me.
Old Mon Sep 18, 2006, 08:40pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SanDiegoSteve
Why in the Wide World of Sports would there EVER be an umpire who's never worked a game in his whole life be assigned to a Varsity HS game?

If i remember correctly, i think Mr. Tee Christensen's first game was HS varsity, and i don't think he's worked lower than that since.
Old Mon Sep 18, 2006, 10:30pm
Official Forum Member

We are not allowed to do any HS Varsity games with one umpire. We can do JV, Frosh, and MS games solo if an umpire no shows, but all of these games are assigned 2 umpires.
Old Tue Sep 19, 2006, 12:18am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to nickrego
Quote:
What are my options in a situation like this?
I am interested to know, "who are you with respect to this situation, and why is it your decision as to what to do ?"

As was stated elsewhere, in our area, if one umpire shows up, one umpire works the game. No one is allowed to work a game if they are not part of the association for liability reasons.

Nick
Old Tue Sep 19, 2006, 10:42am
Official Forum Member

Who am I?

I am the head coach of the visiting team. I did not have an administrator in attendance to help me with the decision. This is a FED sactioned game. Our conference plays both Fall and Spring baseball. The conference champion is determined by a combination of Fall and Spring conference records. This was a conference game.

I chose to have the volunteer help with the game. The second batter in the bottom of the first inning, attempted to steal second base. He was out by a considerable margin. Volunteer called him safe. I didn't say a word to him, I just questioned the coach about what he said before the game about how fair this guy would be. As it turned out, the other umpire arrived in the second inning and replaced the volunteer.

I may have mispoken in my original post. The lone umpire was working his first ever varsity game. I don't know for sure what other levels he had worked. I do know that when he was working the bases from the C position in the JV game, he had a close play at third on a steal attempt. He stood there with his hands in his pockets and waited for his partner to make the call.

I think if I had the same predicament in the future, I would load up the bus, take the hour and fifteen minute drive home and reschedule the game.

Thanks for all of the input.
Old Tue Sep 19, 2006, 05:13pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SanDiegoSteve

This concepts of booking games directly thorough the schools, and any freelance umpiring sans association, are totally foreign to me. I would love to live in an area that allows that, because there would be much less politics involved in assignments.
Maybe yes, maybe no.

I know of several who work this way and some of their experiences differ from what you suppose.

Some have found that dealing with AD's and coaches to get games involve even more politics and good ol' boy networking than dealing with assigners. Those new to the area had even more difficulty breaking in.

Others have told me that AD's and coaches know little about what makes a good umpire and a lot more about who works "their" way. One was permanently banned from a school after a game ending call that kept the home team from the play-offs.

That said, I also know that Rich Fronheiser works this way and seems to enjoy it.
Old Tue Sep 19, 2006, 07:07pm
Official Forum Member

This probably is of no help in an amateur situation, but in professional ball, if umpires are not available __say for travel problems__ the managers can agree to appoint coaches or even players to umpire. It has happened in the American League. On several occasions, when time permitted, local amateur umpires have been recruited.

This cannot happen, of course, when a strike or work stoppage is in effect.
Old Wed Sep 20, 2006, 12:11am
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GarthB
Maybe yes, maybe no.

I know of several who work this way and some of their experiences differ from what you suppose.

Some have found that dealing with AD's and coaches to get games involve even more politics and good ol' boy networking than dealing with assigners. Those new to the area had even more difficulty breaking in.

Others have told me that AD's and coaches know little about what makes a good umpire and a lot more about who works "their" way. One was permanently banned from a school after a game ending call that kept the home team from the play-offs.

That said, I also know that Rich Fronheiser works this way and seems to enjoy it.
I enjoy it only because I am willing to put in the work necessary to build three (football, basketball, baseball) schedules this way. I'm in control. And I spread my work out enough so that I'm not dependent on one assignor. If I have a bad experience at a school, I cross them off the list of schools whose AD's I approach.

I work more games than I would in an association system where I would have to deal with one assigner trying to make it fair for all the members at my level. I take games on the days I want and don't take games on the days I want off, which is important cause I travel for a living.

And yet, it's not all peaches and cream. I got blackballed from a conference here because I threw a couple of (deserved) technicals during basketball games. One the one hand, I haven't gotten any games for that conference. On the other hand, he's only one of a dozen conference assigners I work for and the closest school he assigns is 80 miles away. Maybe it is a good thing.

At the end of the day, you have to be able to point at your body of work and feel good about it. I won't hesitate to punish bad behavior and I work hard at what I do. My crews are some of the highest rated in some conferences in all the sports I work (the commissioners have told me this) -- however there's one conference that won't hire us in basketball cause "he has enough officials." Another probably won't hire us after this year cause I didn't go to his camp. Oh well. I'll never have a shortage of games as long as I have 12-14 people assigning me plus all the schools with their nonconference dates.
Old Wed Sep 20, 2006, 12:05pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LilLeaguer
Maybe the assignor read Pete Booth's article

*rimshot* Good one, Ma'am!
Old Wed Sep 20, 2006, 09:03pm
Official Forum Member

In my area there are NO high school sanctioned (ie high school pays all expenses) baseball games in the fall. There ARE high school players playing on high school fields with non-high school coaches. It's "club" ball meaning paid for by players, or more likely their parents. The coaches arrange the umpires with people they know. It is very laid back, no pressure on anybody, just an opportunity to play, for the ones who are not playing football. They are usually double headers, and usually 5 inning double headers.

Now if I showed up for games and no partner shows up I would be more likely to suggest that I just work alone than accept a volunteer I know nothing about, who may be working in flip flops for all I know. I don't like working alone but I can do it.
Old Wed Sep 20, 2006, 11:45pm
Official Forum Member

Blown Call

Quote:
I think if I had the same predicament in the future, I would load up the bus, take the hour and fifteen minute drive home and reschedule the game.

Thanks for all of the input.
If this was the worse thing to happen, no big deal. A lot of time and money is spent preparing for that ONE GAME. Hedging your bet for a better opportunity to play ball sounds impractical. You shouldn't inconvenience so many other people a second time. Winning should not depend on the quality of the umpire available to work the game. Perhaps I don't fully understand the stakes. It wouldn't be the 1st time an umpire is blamed for losing a game. I want to know why you insist on blaming the umpire for the rest of the season, before the games are ever played. So are you going to avoid this person the rest of the season?

Last edited by SAump; Wed Sep 20, 2006 at 11:57pm.