The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Baseball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Aug 21, 2006, 02:04pm

Well, If you went around making racist comments, people would get offended. The last group that we are allowed to bash without drawing the ire of every liberal group in the country seems to be fat people. Why aren't they afforded the same tree-hugger asylum from bashing that all these other poor baby groups out there are?

Many fat folks can't lose weight, short of going on a regimen like on the TV show The Biggest Loser, a program which is cost prohibitive for the majority of people, as are low carb and low calorie foods. Some people cannot do the physical excersise necessary in combination with a healthy diet.

Skinny people think, "oh, just excersise and diet, and the pounds will just drop off." That is just not the case. It is far easier to add the fat than it is to burn it off. That is why people struggle with their weight. Their metabolisms have suddenly slowed to a crawl with middle age, and they are then asked to unlearn all of their eating habits they developed in early childhood. Losing weight is hard, not easy.

PWL, your post does prove you are an oxymoron, minus the oxy. Why don't you go clear the batter on your way down the 1st base line. Holler back to him that he'd better start running. Sheesh.

LMan, what can I say. They're not all pearls of wisdom.
Matthew 15:14, 1 Corinthians 1:23-25
Old Mon Aug 21, 2006, 04:04pm
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally Posted by PWL
So taking pot shots at skinny little Nancy boys isn't the moral equivalent to making racist or anti-Semitic comments.

Would that be one of the all time ASSinine and totally bigoted things you ever read.

What we have here is an OXy-MORON.
Or a case of "Do as I say", not "Do as I do".
Old Mon Aug 21, 2006, 04:06pm
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally Posted by SanDiegoSteve
Well, If you went around making racist comments, people would get offended.
It kinda looks like people get offended at homophobic comments too.

Pot...kettle...black.
Old Mon Aug 21, 2006, 04:15pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jurassic Referee
Pot...kettle...black.

Careful, JR. The Tupperware in the kitchen just started grumbling.....
Old Mon Aug 21, 2006, 04:25pm
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally Posted by LMan
Careful, JR. The Tupperware in the kitchen just started grumbling.....
LMan, I've been married 40 years. My wife has every damn piece of tupperware ever made, I think. I also think that she's even got a tupperware coffin hidden somewhere, just waiting for me to go.

Did you know that there's a Tupperware Hall of Fame down in Florida? It's true, it's true....

And, btw, I think that anybody who officiates any sport should never be racist, homophobic or any other "ic". It's impossible to call a game fairly. Jmo.

Last edited by Jurassic Referee; Mon Aug 21, 2006 at 04:29pm.
Old Mon Aug 21, 2006, 04:34pm

Quote:
It kinda looks like people get offended at homophobic comments too.

Pot...kettle...black.
What homophobic remarks? Homophobic would by definition describe remarks made as a result of fear of homosexuals. On the contrary, many of my friends over my lifetime have been homosexuals, and I have a good grasp on what is considered an offensive remark. For example, the term "fag hag" refers to a woman who enjoys the company of homosexual males. It is not considered offensive in any way by the gay community.

Had I said, "I hate these damn fags," then that would have qualified as hate speech, and homophobic in nature, because the people who make those remarks think that homosexuals desire them in some way, and that they are in danger of being "converted." These neanderthals are truly homophobic.

The words "Queer" and "Fag" are used liberally by the members of the gay and lesbian community, and are not offensive by themselves, only in the context in which they are used.

One question: Do the Pot and the Kettle get offended by being called black?
Old Mon Aug 21, 2006, 04:37pm

Quote:
And, btw, I think that anybody who officiates any sport should never be racist, homophobic or any other "ic". It's impossible to call a game fairly. Jmo.
What about "fat-ic?" Still open season, huh?
Old Mon Aug 21, 2006, 05:17pm
In Memoriam

Quote:
What about "fat-ic?" Still open season, huh?
It's still open season on people who make "short bus" and "retard" remarks too. That would be you also iirc.

I'm sure that more of your "ics" show up also in your internet wanderings.
Old Mon Aug 21, 2006, 05:31pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbyron
Right, I think we've got it now: WWTB says clearing the bat ahead of a play at the plate is unnecessary, distracting, and wrong, whereas pro instruction is to clear the bat when there's the need, ability, and possibility to do so.

That should do it.

When exactly did you go to pro school? How many years were you assigned to MiLB? It always amazes me how many people 'know' what is taught at professional umpire school, but never actually had to impliment it as a professional. Having been to maybe a dozen MiLB games locally this past year (Kane, Schaumburg, Lightning), I can say that I've not witnesses one of the newbies picking up a bat. Maybe your experience is different and they pick up the catcher's mask too.

Once again...put your money where your mouth is...what happens if you don't act like a bat boy? NOTHING On the contrary, too many things can go wrong if you handle the equipment.

So, mbyron - it's time to put up or shut up. Tell us all about your vast experience and what you would call when the batter slides into the bat and is tagged out. Methinks that umpires who know how to handles coaches and situations aren't afraid of the coach who demands that I move the bat so his kid can slide or not trip on it. Methinks you may need to move the bat.
Old Mon Aug 21, 2006, 05:56pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via Yahoo to UmpJM
Cool

WWTB,

As a Coach, I certainly don't "expect" the umpire to clear the plate area of any loose equipment (bat, catcher's mask, etc.). And the notion of COMPLAINING to the umpire for his failure to do so strikes me as beyond ludicrous.

However, I have, from time to time, seen umpires clear the bat from the immediate vicinity of the plate in a way that did not distract them from their real duties. It generally leaves me with a favorable impression of the umpire.

JMO.

JM
Old Mon Aug 21, 2006, 06:39pm
Official Forum Member

Okay, Coach...

From what I've gathered, you are involved mainly with youth travel leagues and such. If I'm mistaken, it wouldn't be the first - I'm working from memory here. Many instructional league (travel is still considered instructional) umpires find it necessary to insert themselves into the game and ingratiate themselves with participants and fans. We've all seen examples of shaking hands with the gang after a game, helping to carry the equipment to and fro, gabbing at the backstop, explaining calls to anyone who would listen, etc. All of these things typically endear umpires to certain coaches but make fellow umpires plotz (hey, a North Shore term!).

I'm glad to see that you don't expect an umpire to remove playing equipment from live (or even dead ball) action. On a board that is so prone to whip out the umpire manual du jour, no one can find the instruction or advice for doing this particular mechanic. When these books illustrate everything from dusting the plate to breaking up a pitching conference, no one can point to the recommendation for clearing playing equipment. Hmmm?

Umpires will continue to do things that they think are appropriate even though they should know better. We've seen examples of these learned responses in the LL playoffs. If you want to scream 'Foul Ball' for every foul, go ahead. If you want to bring your left hand up to your right elbow when snapping an 'Out' call, go ahead. If you still feel compelled to do the bat boy or on deck batter's jobs, go ahead. The world needs its Smittys, so that places like this board can chuckle at them.
Old Mon Aug 21, 2006, 06:48pm

Quote:
It's still open season on people who make "short bus" and "retard" remarks too. That would be you also iirc.

I'm sure that more of your "ics" show up also in your internet wanderings.
Once again, you are attributing remarks to me that I never made. I have never used the term "short bus" in my entire life. My mention of the word "retarded" was in response to a rule, not in a personal remark directed at a person who's feelings could get hurt. Saying that I think that a rule is retarded, and calling a human being a retard are two very different things. Please get your facts straight before cracking back on me.

I am getting a bit trollophobic, actually.
Old Mon Aug 21, 2006, 08:25pm

Talking Blow us a kiss.............

Quote:

Way too much emphasis is being placed on being thin in this society, all due to the ideal "Hollywood" perception of what a person should look like. There was a time in the not-too-distant past where a man of girth was considered handsome and even sexy.
All right, time to play the Dating Game. Ladies and gentlemen, let's meet bachelor number one. His name is Steve, he's a Gemini, enjoys walks in the rain and big bags of pork rinds.

Last edited by PWL; Mon Aug 21, 2006 at 09:01pm.
Old Mon Aug 21, 2006, 08:39pm
In Memoriam

Quote:
Please get your facts straight before cracking back on me.

I am getting a bit trollophobic, actually.
How about "fudgepacky" or "God abhors homosexuality. It is an abomination unto the Lord...".

Guess who said that?

http://forum.officiating.com/showthr...114#post323114

http://forum.officiating.com/showthr...899#post320899

And you're not homophobic?

Nothing personal, Soupy, but I feel like washing my hands after reading some of your posts.
Old Mon Aug 21, 2006, 08:39pm

I hate the rain and I don't like pork reins. Once in a while I'll eat some pork rinds, however.
Closed Thread