The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Baseball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue Aug 08, 2006, 05:10pm
Official Forum Member

Obstruction Ruling?

I have a question on a play that I observed while watching a game played between 15-16 year olds that my son coached last year. I have a different view of what should have happened than what was ruled and would like to know what the proper ruling should be.

Runners on 2nd and 3rd with one out. R3 is attempting steal and batter misses the bunt and then steps into the catcher as he was trying to put the tag on the runner. I don't think it was intentional, but it did affect the attempt. After some discussion of the two umpires the ruling was that R3 was called out, R2 was sent back to second base, (he had moved to 3rd after the steal attempt), and the batter remained at the plate to eventually hit a triple.

My feeling is that the runners should have been placed back at original bases, and the batter called out for the interferance. What would be the 'correct' call? I am assuming that OBR were being used.
Old Tue Aug 08, 2006, 05:16pm
Official Forum Member

After a review the ruling on the field Stands!

You must penalize the Offense the most on this play, so instead of the batter, the runner stealing HOME is declared out. No runner may advance on interference. so R2 goes back.
Old Tue Aug 08, 2006, 05:29pm
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TwoDot
I have a question on a play that I observed while watching a game played between 15-16 year olds that my son coached last year. I have a different view of what should have happened than what was ruled and would like to know what the proper ruling should be.

Runners on 2nd and 3rd with one out. R3 is attempting steal and batter misses the bunt and then steps into the catcher as he was trying to put the tag on the runner. I don't think it was intentional, but it did affect the attempt. After some discussion of the two umpires the ruling was that R3 was called out, R2 was sent back to second base, (he had moved to 3rd after the steal attempt), and the batter remained at the plate to eventually hit a triple.

My feeling is that the runners should have been placed back at original bases, and the batter called out for the interferance. What would be the 'correct' call? I am assuming that OBR were being used.
This is interference, not obstruction.

The post right before mine has the correct response.

Last edited by Rich; Wed Aug 09, 2006 at 11:34am.
Old Tue Aug 08, 2006, 09:34pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich Fronheiser
This is not interference, not obstruction.

The post right before mine has the correct response.
Leave out the first not and keep the second.
Old Tue Aug 08, 2006, 10:59pm
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DG
Leave out the first not and keep the second.
It's clear you knew what I meant.
Old Wed Aug 09, 2006, 10:28am
Official Forum Member

Thanks all for the input. I guess it was a good thing I wasn't working the game!!
Old Wed Aug 09, 2006, 10:45pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich Fronheiser
It's clear you knew what I meant.
No it's NOT. How am I supposed to know which NOT you included by error? I see you edited your original response so now everyone will be confused.
Old Thu Aug 10, 2006, 01:18am
Stop staring at me swan.

yep, nice job by the Blue's here...I bet none of the fans who rode them for that call...knew the rule...THERE'S ONE FOR THE GOOD GUYS! LOL
Old Thu Aug 10, 2006, 07:56am
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DG
No it's NOT. How am I supposed to know which NOT you included by error? I see you edited your original response so now everyone will be confused.
I've made almost 3000 posts here. Based on my history of posting, is there any chance in hell that I would confuse obstruction with interference?

Yes, I edited the response, because God forbid you should be confused. Now if you delete yours, nobody will be confused....unless you want to continue to remind everyone that I made a typo.
Old Thu Aug 10, 2006, 08:23am
Official Forum Member

Rich, I've read all 3000 posts... ( ), but not everyone has. Yeah, his question was nitpicky, but not everyone knew what you meant.
Old Thu Aug 10, 2006, 08:34am
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcrowder
Rich, I've read all 3000 posts... ( ), but not everyone has. Yeah, his question was nitpicky, but not everyone knew what you meant.
I'm sure. Oh well, it's fixed now.

I guess I'm a bit testy this morning. Worked a MLB Legends Game last Friday and we were paid in tickets -- all you can eat and drink tickets -- and the game we attended was last night. So I had a fair amount of beer. I'll be nicer now that I've had some Excedrin and a morning cup of coffee.
Old Thu Aug 10, 2006, 09:46am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcrowder

What do you mean by that?