The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Baseball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed Jul 19, 2006, 03:42pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to aceholleran
Rules, yet no penalty (helmet thread redux)

Had a similar, yet hypothetical, sitch a few years ago.

A coach and friend (imagine that!) put this to me." I've got a big tubby kid batting ninth and my speedster leading off. If Chubby gets on base, why can't I tell him to leave early on every pitch? If Speedy makes out, then Chubby goes back to first. He also ight get to 2B in time to break up a double play with his leviathan slide. Also, if Speedy hits a clean double, Chubby has a much better chance of making it safely to 3B, and rule 7.13 allows him to stay there. So why not try?"

I mulled this over, and, technically, the coach had a point. Plus he was, mirabile dictu, correct on the 7.13 sitch with Speedy's double. After much ponderation, I took this to Eastern Region HQ, where they gave me a cogent answer. I am posting this becuase it is akin to repeated removing of helmet.

I'll come back later with what I learned.

Ace
Old Wed Jul 19, 2006, 05:35pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by aceholleran

A coach and friend (imagine that!) put this to me." I've got a big tubby kid batting ninth and my speedster leading off. If Chubby gets on base, why can't I tell him to leave early on every pitch? If Speedy makes out, then Chubby goes back to first. He also ight get to 2B in time to break up a double play with his leviathan slide. Also, if Speedy hits a clean double, Chubby has a much better chance of making it safely to 3B, and rule 7.13 allows him to stay there. So why not try?"

I mulled this over, and, technically, the coach had a point. Plus he was, mirabile dictu, correct on the 7.13 sitch with Speedy's double. After much ponderation, I took this to Eastern Region HQ, where they gave me a cogent answer. I am posting this becuase it is akin to repeated removing of helmet.

Ace
I would toss the coach if he was instructing his player to make a mockery of the game.
Old Wed Jul 19, 2006, 06:01pm
Official Forum Member

Smile GO to Bat for Tubby

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwwashburn
I would toss the coach if he was instructing his player to make a mockery of the game.
Relax it a bit. From what I read, I am sure the young man would prefer to sit in the shade than run to the bases for himself. Allow the coach to use a league approved courtesy runner, substitute a pinch runner, or ask league officials for a special consideration. Insert a medical condition release from a DOCTOR and allow the guy to play and someone else to run the bases.

I was a pretty good hitting 42 year old TUBBY a few years back playing in a 28+ MSBL league. One 28 year old semi-pro football kid with a body of a WWF star led the team in HR and RBIs. One 32 year old semi-pro basketball kid with combined 6-4 height and speed led the team in SBs and Rs scored. They both eat like horses. This here proud old fatty led the team when one added both Rs and RBIs together. Hey, I have had my share of pinch runners too and I am glad they scored all those run for me while I sat and watched from the dugout.

But is that is why I batted ninth?

Last edited by SAump; Wed Jul 19, 2006 at 06:11pm.
Old Wed Jul 19, 2006, 08:20pm
Official Forum Member

I would never bat my slowest runner 9th because my fastest runner is likely batting 1st, and if he gets a hit (likely) I don't want someone in front of him to limit the number of bases he can make on the hit, or afterwards on a WP or PB.

But as an umpire I would just apply the rules when the time comes.
Old Wed Jul 19, 2006, 09:39pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwwashburn
...why?
Old Wed Jul 19, 2006, 09:49pm
In Memoriam

Smile

Quote:

Ace
I'll take a shot, Ace.
  • Coach is warned for coach interference and making a travesty of the game.
Play!
mick
Old Thu Jul 20, 2006, 12:14am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mick
I'll take a shot, Ace.
  • Coach is warned for coach interference and making a travesty of the game.
Play!
mick
Unless LL has it's own interpretation, "travesty of the game" is specifically defined in OBR and this ain't it.
Old Thu Jul 20, 2006, 05:51am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to aceholleran
What LL told me

Eastern Region said this is a repeated, intentional violation of a rule.

First, warn coach and player. If you feel player is being coached to continue to violate the rule, you can then eject both player and coach.

That's what they said, gang.

Ace
Old Thu Jul 20, 2006, 07:39am
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
Eastern Region said this is a repeated, intentional violation of a rule.

First, warn coach and player. If you feel player is being coached to continue to violate the rule, you can then eject both player and coach.

That's what they said, gang.

Ace
It's in line with the instructions on committing 4 illegal pitches (or going to the mouth 4 times) in order to bypass the requirement to pitch the intentional walk.
Old Thu Jul 20, 2006, 12:26pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:

Ace

Deliberately leaving early is a intentional rules violation and subject to calling a forfeit.

It is not in the same league as helmet removal.