The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Baseball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Jul 17, 2006, 04:39am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to aceholleran
Bragging on TussAgee

If nothing else, my 30 years doing this give me a right to evaluate a fellow umpire.

Tuss happens to work in my nape of the woods (neck of the way), and I did my first game with him the other day. 3-man; I was U1; he, U3.

He did a better base job than 95% of the umps I have ever worked with, and yes, this includes HS as well as a college/ex-college/ex-pro summer league in these parts.

* Nigh-perfect positioning on calls.
* Consummate hustle
* Impeccable timing
* Knowing when to "dress one up" on bang-bangers

If any of you other salty dogs had been there, methinks you'd agree.

Before his head gets swole, I haven't seen him on the dish, plus he shines his shoes with a cinder block.

But for a second-year arbiter: exemplary job.

Have you made your reservations for Brinkman's school yet?

Ace
Old Mon Jul 17, 2006, 05:10am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to bobbybanaduck
he did a bang-up job working third in a three man? and he had "bangers"?? brinkman's school has looooooooong not been brinkman's school. reading your posts reminds me of the movie "dodgeball" when they inform the pirate that he really isn't a pirate....
Old Mon Jul 17, 2006, 05:34am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobbybanaduck
he did a bang-up job working third in a three man? and he had "bangers"?? brinkman's school has looooooooong not been brinkman's school. reading your posts reminds me of the movie "dodgeball" when they inform the pirate that he really isn't a pirate....
You know, your reply is really bad form re: an umpire trying to compliment another, especially a guy just beginning.

Ace
Old Mon Jul 17, 2006, 07:55am
Official Forum Member

Hmmmm,

bobby, bobby, bobby:

Why can't you accept the REASON for the post.

I went to Brinkman -- I sometimes refer to any school as "Brinkman" . . .

Finally, many people feel that U3 in a three man crew is the most difficult of the three positions. Since all rotations are based on U3's actions and his calls are closer to home plate that makes them important.

I am confused as to your answer.

Regards,
Old Mon Jul 17, 2006, 10:37am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobbybanaduck
he did a bang-up job working third in a three man?
U3 is the active position in threeman. What's the issue?
Old Mon Jul 17, 2006, 10:43am
Official Forum Member

I guess someone thinks that you don't have to hustle are be in position in three man. I don't care how many guys you have working any night out on the field you have to be on your toes.
Old Mon Jul 17, 2006, 03:57pm
Official Forum Member

Around here, where nobody seems to understand 3-man mechanics, they call it being in the "rocking chair."
Old Mon Jul 17, 2006, 04:04pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbyron
Around here, where nobody seems to understand 3-man mechanics, they call it being in the "rocking chair."
Around here, they call it that in four man.
Old Mon Jul 17, 2006, 07:32pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to bobbybanaduck
tim...are you scolding me???
Old Mon Jul 17, 2006, 07:59pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to TussAgee11
Well, I thank Ace for his kind words. And I do shine my shoes with brushes... Still trying to find the right stuff.

Every opportunity I get to just simply work 3rd base with a guy like Ace on the crew is an honor. So I try not to mess up too bad. Guess I didn't do too bad.

I look forward to having Ace next year look at me umpire so I can begin to tap some of that knowledge of game situations. Our association doesn't really have mentors or anything, so it's tough to be able to just sit around and bounce questions off experienced people (part of the reason I like it here)

And yes, had two bangers, one at second, and a real close fair/foul at a crucial point in the game (may have dressed that one up a bit too much, bet it looked like I was having muscle spasms!)

Umpiring school? I think I'll get out of regular school first
Old Tue Jul 18, 2006, 12:05am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to RPatrino Send a message via Yahoo to RPatrino
Duh, he's scolding you....buy a clue.

And yes, U3 is a busy place to be in 3 man. The majority of the rotations key off U3's actions.

Great Job Tuss

-----------------------
We are stewards of baseball. Our customers aren't schools or coaches or conferences. Our customer is the game itself.
Old Tue Jul 18, 2006, 01:13am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to TussAgee11
Quote:
Originally Posted by mbyron
While I am sure that there are games where all U3 may pick his nose more then having a banger, it is certainly a tough place work mentally, maybe more so then U1. U1 gets the bangers, while U3 spends all game thinking about where to get to next.

In 4 man, 3rd base really is the rocking chair. Go out occasionally, maybe rotate into 2nd once or twice a game, otherwise just sit. There is a reason the MLB rotation goes clockwise, so PU from the day before can have, most of the time, an easy day (although none of them would admit it).

Last edited by TussAgee11; Tue Jul 18, 2006 at 01:16am.
Old Tue Jul 18, 2006, 06:58am
Official Forum Member

To elucidate

We were working 3-man on a 60-foot LL game iwth no leading. After much forethought, we have simplified 3-man mechanics, since sooo many of us work 2-man all season long.

Basically, U3 always stays in D (pre-pitch, natch), unless there is a solo runner on 1B. Since 99% of attempted pickoffs at 1B are begun by F2 in such games, we don't anchor U1 at 1B whenever there's a runner there. U1 slides to outside B in most multiple-runner sitches

But, as one would think, base umps "go out" more than usual (especially since, at this age level, there are a higher percentage of trouble catches), this brings the "off" ump inside to take all baserunners.

I'd gladly take any input from experienced LL/youth arbiters on how they work the three-m,an system in 60-ft. games. A new thread perhaps?

Ace
Old Tue Jul 18, 2006, 11:59am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TussAgee11
And I do shine my shoes with brushes... Still trying to find the right stuff.
Because they get scuffed a lot during the game I have found that the best (and fastest) technique is something I used in the military. After applying the polish, use the standard horsehair brush. After that use a pair of pantyhose. For the toe put the shoe between your knees and stretch the pantyhose with both hands, kinda like flossing except don't use your fingers grab the hose with both hands and go back and forth over the top part of the shoe. The reason for this is so you have both hands free because the more vigorous you rub with the pantyhose the better the results. Ya ever see a shoeshine guy at the airport do his thing?? It's just like that. Then, bunch the hose in your hand and go over the rest of the shoe.
Old Tue Jul 18, 2006, 12:02pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to RPatrino Send a message via Yahoo to RPatrino
Spots, just curious. How do you obtain said panty hose??

-----------------------
We are stewards of baseball. Our customers aren't schools or coaches or conferences. Our customer is the game itself.