The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Baseball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sun Jul 09, 2006, 10:14pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to BigUmp56 Send a message via Yahoo to BigUmp56
Never Again

Am I the only one who thinks tournament time can be a pain in the @$$?

Our juniors opened up tournament play on Saturday. I and two of my counterparts were assigned to work a triple header for the juniors. The first game was a damn slugfest with the home team winning in the bottom of the 8th 15 -12. Two hours and 50 freakin minutes for a juniors game. The second game wasn't much better. Extra innings again, 6-2, 2 hours and 30 minutes. I was 5 hours and 20 minutes into actual game time before I worked the plate for the third game (I drew the short straw). The third game was a little better at only 2 hours, but I swear, no more triple headers for me.

Tim.
Old Sun Jul 09, 2006, 10:30pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigUmp56
Am I the only one who thinks tournament time can be a pain in the @$$?

Our juniors opened up tournament play on Saturday. I and two of my counterparts were assigned to work a triple header for the juniors. The first game was a damn slugfest with the home team winning in the bottom of the 8th 15 -12. Two hours and 50 freakin minutes for a juniors game. The second game wasn't much better. Extra innings again, 6-2, 2 hours and 30 minutes. I was 5 hours and 20 minutes into actual game time before I worked the plate for the third game (I drew the short straw). The third game was a little better at only 2 hours, but I swear, no more triple headers for me.

Tim.
Late last July I swore off triple headers. Second day of a Senior tournament (16-18), I had the plate for the first game that started at 11 am with temp around 90. By the end of the 10th, 3 hours later, it was 95 degrees and I nearly stripped in a dugout on an adjoining field after the game. Then two more games on bases. By the time I got home all I could do was lie down on the garage floor with a fan on me and a six pack beside me and try to recover before going back for 2 more games the next day and two the following day. 9 games in 4 days, and 3 on the second with temps over 90. It's too much for me.
Old Sun Jul 09, 2006, 10:37pm
Official Forum Member

DG:

Have you ever worked a non traditional three man on one of your triple headers?

We worked it so that BU1 pretty much stayed at first for each game which gave each one of us an opportunity to take it easy for a game. It was almost like a two man as soon as there were any runners. BU3 came inside to C and stayed there.

Tim.
Old Sun Jul 09, 2006, 11:03pm

This season, I worked three solo Triple Headers. 9/12/3 all three times.

I didn't work any of the Triple Crown tourneys, but they worked 2-man crews, and each crew had 6, and sometimes 7 games each day. Way too much for me, so I chose not to participate.
Matthew 15:14, 1 Corinthians 1:23-25
Old Sun Jul 09, 2006, 11:15pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
DG:

Have you ever worked a non traditional three man on one of your triple headers?

We worked it so that BU1 pretty much stayed at first for each game which gave each one of us an opportunity to take it easy for a game. It was almost like a two man as soon as there were any runners. BU3 came inside to C and stayed there.
Tim.
Funny you should mention. On the day I mentioned where I worked 3 games U2 pulled a leg muscle early in the game and did not feel like he could continue. This was a 3 man crew and we had a discussion before proceeding. As I saw it we had two options, convert to 2 man or allow U2 to stay at 1B with no running. U2 felt like he could continue if he did not have to run, so we did. I explained to the coaches what we will be doing and the game moved on.

The second game I moved to U3, U3 went to the plate and U2 stayed at 1b. By the third game we had a subsitute umpire who had arrived. For the 3rd game I went to U2, PU to U3 and the new guy worked the plate. U2 did not work any more games in the tournament due to the injury. I give him cudo's for gutting out 2 games at 1B with an injury. He knew we could convert to 2 man until we could get a substitute, but he worked 2 games.

I don't undertand how, in your situation, you got a break. If U2 stayed at 1B for 3 games somebody worked 2 plates.

Last edited by DG; Sun Jul 09, 2006 at 11:18pm.
Old Sun Jul 09, 2006, 11:41pm
Official Forum Member

Good Lord, you all sound like old women. I'm in my 50's and work four baseball games a day at tournament time.

As for my other summer sport...I worked six basketball games today, eight yesterday and have six more tomorrow. Granted, the basketball games are a bit shorter than my baseball games, but they involve a hell of a lot more physical activity.

Best advice would be to get in shape, keep hydrated and get rest off the field. If you can't do that, don't take the games.
Old Mon Jul 10, 2006, 01:26am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PWL
But that would interfere with their regular job. You know what I'm talking about. Surfing the Internet and posting on forums such as these from the time they get up until the time they go to bed.

Tomorrow, I'll do forty-five minutes of cardio followed by about 200 crunches. Then about an hour of weight training. Next I'll go get a smoothie and rest for a couple of hours and play a nine inning ball game.
PWL: is it your goal on this forum to piss people off? We don't care about your workout system and save the smart-a$$ comments for another time. You never leave it alone do you? Now, go ahead and delete your post like a good boy
Old Mon Jul 10, 2006, 03:30am

Quote:
Originally Posted by lmathews19
PWL: is it your goal on this forum to piss people off? We don't care about your workout system and save the smart-a$$ comments for another time. You never leave it alone do you? Now, go ahead and delete your post like a good boy
Yes, his goal is to tease the crap out of me and Tim BigUmp56 because a long time ago we outed him as an umpire who has no clue as to how to umpire. We pointed out a few things that identified him as a poor official in hopes that he would change these things, but instead he decided to launch personal attacks at Tim and me (yes, PWL, Tim and me is grammatically correct). He continues his vendetta, as you can see, to this very day. He is like this little 5-year old child that has to have his way. He never adds one single thing to any discussion, he only drags it down to his low level.

And I now have him back on the "ignore" list, and I recommend that everyone put him on ignore, or else quit quoting him so we do not have to read his constant drivel.
Matthew 15:14, 1 Corinthians 1:23-25
Old Mon Jul 10, 2006, 06:37am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DG
I don't undertand how, in your situation, you got a break. If U2 stayed at 1B for 3 games somebody worked 2 plates.
We rotated positions as usual with each of us working once as U1, once as U3, and once on the dish. We got a little break from all the extra running when we worked as U1 by not having to rotate in with R2 only or R2 and R3. The only time we would rotate to second from first was with R1 only and a deep base hit where we would take the BR into second if he committed.

Garth:

It's great that working four games in the Summer heat doesn't bother you. I'm sure it's just as hot and muggy where you are as it is here. I think you're more than likely the exception to the rule though. I don't know too many other umpires that can work 23 innings in a row in 90+ heat with high humidity without feeling it.

Tim.
Old Mon Jul 10, 2006, 08:17am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
We rotated positions as usual with each of us working once as U1, once as U3, and once on the dish. We got a little break from all the extra running when we worked as U1 by not having to rotate in with R2 only or R2 and R3. The only time we would rotate to second from first was with R1 only and a deep base hit where we would take the BR into second if he committed.
That doesn't seem to be the standard rotation -- why not have U1 go to home, PU got to third and U3 cover first and second?

Quote:
Garth:

It's great that working four games in the Summer heat doesn't bother you. I'm sure it's just as hot and muggy where you are as it is here. I think you're more than likely the exception to the rule though. I don't know too many other umpires that can work 23 innings in a row in 90+ heat with high humidity without feeling it.

Tim.
Garth didn't say he didn't "feel it." He said he dealt with it.

I don't think what you described is unique -- it's not the norm, but it's not that unusual, either.
Old Mon Jul 10, 2006, 08:23am
Official Forum Member

Pain in the a$$? You bet.

Thursday: Nine inning, no time limit ($65). Ended up at just over three hours. Luckily, I didn't have the dish

Friday: 14u tournament starts: Three games, starting at 1pm, temps in the mid 80's. Didn't feel so bad afterwards

Saturday: Four games, 2 using 2 man, 2 using 3 man, starting at 1pm, same temps. Was assigned two plate games, but one of the guys on the three man crew offered to do the last game behind the plate. You always THINK you can do it, but after three games and six hours of baseball...forget it. By now my feet are killing me.

Sunday: One more game (championship game, had the dish), at 9am. Very sleepy, and had quite enough baseball for one weekend.

Today: Hockey game...9:25 start. If I can just make it until Tuesday, I'll be ok.

Glad there's not another tournament this week.
Old Mon Jul 10, 2006, 10:33am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob jenkins
That doesn't seem to be the standard rotation -- why not have U1 go to home, PU got to third and U3 cover first and second?
I never said we used a standard rotation. What we did was anything but standard. What I said was that we rotated positions as usual. That would have the PU from the first game working as U3 for the second, U3 from the first game working as U1 for the second game, and U1 from the first game working the plate for the second game.

Quote:

Garth didn't say he didn't "feel it." He said he dealt with it.

I don't think what you described is unique -- it's not the norm, but it's not that unusual, either.
Good for Garth. This is the first time in 16 seasons as an umpire that I've had to work 23 consecutive innings. That makes it unusual, at least to me.

Tim.
Old Mon Jul 10, 2006, 10:36am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PWL
But that would interfere with their regular job. You know what I'm talking about. Surfing the Internet and posting on forums such as these from the time they get up until the time they go to bed.

You must have overlooked this one this morning, Bob.

Tim.
Old Mon Jul 10, 2006, 10:59am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
I never said we used a standard rotation. What we did was anything but standard. What I said was that we rotated positions as usual. That would have the PU from the first game working as U3 for the second, U3 from the first game working as U1 for the second game, and U1 from the first game working the plate for the second game.
I understand -- and I agree with that.

My comment was referring to this statement:

Quote:
The only time we would rotate to second from first was with R1 only and a deep base hit where we would take the BR into second if he committed.
I'm wondering why you chose this rotation rather than the standard rotation on a base hit with R1 only. It doesn't seem to save any running for U1.
Old Mon Jul 10, 2006, 11:15am
Official Forum Member

Quote:

I'm wondering why you chose this rotation rather than the standard rotation on a base hit with R1 only. It doesn't seem to save any running for U1.
I see your point. What it did was save the PU from having to rotate up to third. What we would do it come in from A and make a short pivot with R1 only and only slide up if the BR committed to second. It also helped with R1 only and U3 in C where R1 would steal second. We left U3 inside instead of having him rotate back to D.

Tim.