The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Baseball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Thu Jun 22, 2006, 07:01am
Stop staring at me swan.

GD Shins versus Honigs K20

Hey guys, I'm in the market for some new shins (I know good timing more than 1/2 way through the season)...after years of using my K20's...I'm totally tired of pulling my plate pants out from getting caught in my shins every time I stand up after calling a pitch. I've been told that the GD shins eliminate the need to keep pulling my pants out of my shins...what works for you guys...or isn't it an option? Or is it just the nature of the beast?

Thanks guys!
Old Thu Jun 22, 2006, 08:43am
Official Forum Member

I don't personally use the GD shins, but know some guys who do. They like them.

I have WV shins and love them. They're bulkier than any other shins I've had, but I still don't have a problem with my pants getting stuck.

Is it possible that this is a pant issue and not a shin guard issue? Or maybe the top strap of your shins is too loose?
Old Thu Jun 22, 2006, 09:04am
Official Forum Member

I love the GDs - they take two seconds to put on, they can stop a Mack truck, great foot protection, and lighter than all getout
But ctblu is right. Your slacks will still get caught up in the GDs is you were combo pants. Not that bad, and they'll slip out when you crouch, but it still happens without plate pants.
Old Thu Jun 22, 2006, 01:00pm
Stop staring at me swan.

i don't wear combo pants...i wear straight up plate pants...maybe it's a weight issue! LOL...thanks for the input guys! Maybe I drop 20 and then see what happeneds...take 'er down to 180 and see what happens!
Old Thu Jun 22, 2006, 09:28pm
Official Forum Member

I have the GD shins and WV grey shins. My plate pants get stuck in both of these (I'm just 185 lbs). I speak with alot of umpires who have this problem. The GD shins only have 2 straps and the top can poke out if you squat or do the scissors due to the lack of a top strap. They're super light and comfortable, but they don't seem to sturdy. I use them for 9-14 years olds but for anything higher I use my WV. They're not as comfortable, but they protect alot better.
Old Thu Jun 22, 2006, 09:47pm

I really love my Douglas shin guards. They are big and solid feeling. They fit so well with high top shoes too. I feel invincible wearing them. I've only had them for a month, but they have already paid for themselves in the extra protection they afford.
Matthew 15:14, 1 Corinthians 1:23-25
Old Thu Jun 22, 2006, 10:55pm
Official Forum Member

I have both GD and K20 and another Rawlings pair. The GD and K20 offer equal protection. I like the light weight of the GD, but I am bowlegged and the GD only has 2 straps so I am constantly adjusting the knee cap of the GD, or it would be off center. As for pants the GD and K20 are about the same, OK under plate pants, little tight to the fabric under combos.

The Rawlings pair are unnoticeable under combos, but I don't wear them for higher level ball.
Old Thu Jun 22, 2006, 11:03pm
Official Forum Member

i have a pair of old rawlings shin guards, which are my worst piece of equipment. i got them as a 'hand me down' from a friend a few years and just stuck with them. they work perfectly with the GD stance, they end right where my hand goes, but they are a bit old and are definitely starting to go. i mean they do the trick just fine, but the padding is starting to crack and the metal pieces are beginning to rust...they did well for like 4 years though.

i bought some honigs shins but didnt like them and sold them to tim (bigump56). i should probably find a set i like soon, because the ones i have now are on their last season.