The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Baseball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed Jul 25, 2001, 10:56am
In Memoriam

Last night. Adult OBR. R1 (1b) 1 out. I'm in B

Ground ball to F6 throws to F4 ... Out!
I turn to see wild throw to F3 ... Safe!

PU, who followed through on R1 to 2b yells "Interference, batter's Out!"

PU explains double play, (I didn't hear the conversation). Pitcher walks onto field for the new 1/2 inning shaking his head.

I ask. He says all he did was put his hands up.
I ask why? He said, "... probably so he could 'kinda' distract him."
I said, "That's the reason it was 'kinda interference'."
He goes, "Oh."

Old Wed Jul 25, 2001, 01:17pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by mick

PU explains double play, (I didn't hear the conversation). Pitcher walks onto field for the new 1/2 inning shaking his head.

He goes, "Oh."
And what did your PU tell you later???
Perhaps this player grabbed the F4 making the turn.
Adult players are sometimes very good and honest, but more often than not, they either feel they can't make mistakes or look for someone else to blame their mistakes on. That knowledge comes from 20+ years of umpiring adults.

If you start believing the players over your partner (at any level), you might want to start checking for a different partner. At least HE will appreciate that. It is PU's judgement as to whether or not the act interfered---not yours or the players'. Based on your situation, we all know what your PU thought, correct??? Quite frankly, I would have avoided asking him "Why" as you stated you did. Your response then brought you into further possible problems, correct? You just had a controversial play that is over so let it drop.

Support your pard whenever appropriate and possible. If not, try to say nothing. When you "stumbled" into this conversation, to say "kinda interference" is wishy washy and lacks full support. Better to state, "then that's why he called it interfence!" That is a truthful statement. That doesn't state that YOU think it's interference, does it? After all, what YOU think on this judgement play means nothing until you are asked by your pard. Yet, you have stated there can be interference called for that action and implied that pard's call is correct based on his judgement.

If you see pard make a blown RULES INTERPRETATION, at end of play you should call time, approach him and tell him what YOU think the correct interpretation is. Then, let him make his decision. If you are UIC, you have final decision on all rule interpretations.

Just my opinion,

Freix
Old Wed Jul 25, 2001, 01:34pm
In Memoriam

Wink

Quote:
Originally posted by Bfair
Quote:

He goes, "Oh."
And what did your PU tell you later???
Perhaps this player grabbed the F4 making the turn.
Adult players are sometimes very good and honest, but more often than not, they either feel they can't make mistakes or look for someone else to blame their mistakes on. That knowledge comes from 20+ years of umpiring adults.

If you start believing the players over your partner (at any level), you might want to start checking for a different partner. At least HE will appreciate that. It is PU's judgement as to whether or not the act interfered---not yours or the players'. Based on your situation, we all know what your PU thought, correct??? Quite frankly, I would have avoided asking him "Why" as you stated you did. Your response then brought you into further possible problems, correct? You just had a controversial play that is over so let it drop.

Support your pard whenever appropriate and possible. If not, try to say nothing. When you "stumbled" into this conversation, to say "kinda interference" is wishy washy and lacks full support. Better to state, "then that's why he called it interfence!" That is a truthful statement. That doesn't state that YOU think it's interference, does it? After all, what YOU think on this judgement play means nothing until you are asked by your pard. Yet, you have stated there can be interference called for that action and implied that pard's call is correct based on his judgement.

If you see pard make a blown RULES INTERPRETATION, at end of play you should call time, approach him and tell him what YOU think the correct interpretation is. Then, let him make his decision. If you are UIC, you have final decision on all rule interpretations.

Just my opinion,

Freix
Freix,
I agree with ya. If I don't know my partner, I am mute.

In this case, the PU was my most regular and familiar partner, and when the pitcher told me the story, I knew he had it right because of all the chatting my partner and I do about all of our games.
The reason I initially asked was I thought he was doubting the call. It was just a low key discussion and never heated up.
Thanks
mick

Old Wed Jul 25, 2001, 07:43pm
Official Forum Member

Is "kinda interference" the same as "kinda pregnant"?

Bob
Old Wed Jul 25, 2001, 09:04pm
In Memoriam

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally posted by bluezebra
Is "kinda interference" the same as "kinda pregnant"?

Bob
Yaubetcha, Bob!
Just like that.
mick
Old Tue Jul 31, 2001, 10:09am
Official Forum Member

Last night. Adult OBR. R1 (1b) 1 out. I'm in B

Ground ball to F6 throws to F4 ... Out!
I turn to see wild throw to F3 ... Safe!

PU, who followed through on R1 to 2b yells "Interference, batter's Out!"

OBR 7.09 It is interference by a batter or a runner when_
(g) If, in the judgment of the umpire, a base runner willfully and deliberately interferes with a batted ball or a fielder in the act of fielding a batted ball with the obvious intent to break up a double play, the ball is dead. The umpire shall call the runner out for interference and also call out the batter runner because of the action of his teammate.

Mick you said adult league playing under OBR rules. Using OBR, one rarely if ever sees an umpire ring up 2 because of the terms willfully and deliberately Remember the Reggie Jackson play in the World Series many years back.

If this game were played under FED rules, it's easier to understand as in FED, the terms willfully and deliberately are omitted.

The PU must have ruled that r1 willfully and deliberately interfered with F4 with obvious intent to break up DP.

Pete Booth
Old Tue Jul 31, 2001, 11:49am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to blarson
Cool kinda ....

I think we missed something w/ the kinda thing. It sounds like he was keying of the player saying to kinda distract him. I'm guessing the reply was more like that kinda interference.

Player said Oh, so I think he got the meaning.

I think we kinda had to be there.
;-)

Old Tue Jul 31, 2001, 12:35pm
In Memoriam

Thumbs up Re: kinda ....

Quote:
Originally posted by blarson
I think we missed something w/ the kinda thing. It sounds like he was keying of the player saying to kinda distract him. I'm guessing the reply was more like that kinda interference.

Player said Oh, so I think he got the meaning.

I think we kinda had to be there.
;-)

blarson,
Kinda sounds like you were there.
mick